Knox Webb vs USJ

PowerSweep

KublahKD I completely agree that Webb will have to get their passing game going for next week. Usually Webb's QB is pretty accurate and throws a very catchable ball with some zip on it. Last night he seemed to struggle to get the ball out of his hand cleanly. I don't know if it was a mechanical thing or what but I'm sure the coaches will correct that in practice this week if it was. Many of his passes last night were off target and wobbly.

As for how last year and this year's team compares to previous Webb teams I would say last year's team would be one of Webb's best ever. They had 18 seniors and pretty much the same skill position players as this year's team. Webb's 2006 State Championship team was also very, very good. Will this year's team be the best of the 3, well it remains to be seen. Starting with 2006 these have definitely been up years for Webb. Next year's team has a chance to be even better than this year's team. They lose a good deal of size in the lines but somehow they seem to always find some young guys to step up when needed.

Ive followed webb football for a while. The blance brothers are great, special players,...that being said..the level of competition is way below than what webb faced in 2006, 07, 08, 05, and even way before that going back to 2001, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999. The 2001 team that went 7-5 was better than the 2006, 2009, and 2010 webb teams. The 2001 team played 3 state championship teams in McCallie, Goodpasture, and BGA. Add on to that a really good Briarcrest and MBA, a Notre dame team that had Darius Boweman. The competition doesnt compare really besides ECS and Catholic, which has been solid but not as good as when they had pemberton as the head coach from 02 to 08. Ive asked various memebers of the coaching staff prior to this year which where some of there better teams..they mentioned that 1996 team, 1999, 2001, 2005 teams. The 06 team wasnt better than that 05 team according to the coaches although they came through and won it. All this being said...i do agree that the next years teams could be very very good. Webb has a lot of talent coming up in the freshman sophmore junior classes, but until they start playing some teams other than lancaster, MJCS, Halls(0-10), Central(2-8), zion, Ezell-harding then as a webb follower i cant say this last few years where there top teams. The webb teams these past few years are not playing against talented players like Jermaine Copeland, Troy flemming, Ryan Karl, Golden tate, Brandon Warren, Dustin Lindsey, BJ Coleman, Lee smith, Harrison smith, Adarius Boweman, Patrick Turner, etc....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The competition doesnt compare really besides ECS and Catholic...

mofo11... I completely agree. The level of competition week end, week out is certainly not what it used to be. I was very hopeful that Webb could have upgraded their non-region schedule for next year but have heard that Central and Halls remain. Catholic stays on the schedule with a 4th opponent that is certainly an upgrade over Lancaster. If you are close to the program you probably know who it is. Actually, I would have liked to have seen how Webb would have done the past two seasons in DII-AA. Personally I believe they could have competed with any of them.

There's no question Webb has benefitted from the recent classification changes made by the TSSAA. Comparing teams is impossible but it sure makes for good conversation! I've been pretty close to the program since the '02 season and since then I have enjoyed watching several Spartan teams who may not have had great overall records like the '09 and '10 teams but they were very good. The OP wanted to know if these were "up years" for Webb and I certainly believe they are.

mofo11... I completely agree. The level of competition week end, week out is certainly not what it used to be. I was very hopeful that Webb could have upgraded their non-region schedule for next year but have heard that Central and Halls remain. Catholic stays on the schedule with a 4th opponent that is certainly an upgrade over Lancaster. If you are close to the program you probably know who it is. Actually, I would have liked to have seen how Webb would have done the past two seasons in DII-AA. Personally I believe they could have competed with any of them.

There's no question Webb has benefitted from the recent classification changes made by the TSSAA. Comparing teams is impossible but it sure makes for good conversation! I've been pretty close to the program since the '02 season and since then I have enjoyed watching several Spartan teams who may not have had great overall records like the '09 and '10 teams but they were very good. The OP wanted to know if these were "up years" for Webb and I certainly believe they are.

You are right to believe these certainly feel like up years, but lets not forget the 1990-2001 years with, ryan chinn, pennington, husky, and terry copeland then the 04-currently with campbells, beelers etc.....just as a webb fan, i want to see my team and thoes blance brothers play against some teams that really challenge them. This league has "good teams" with DCA, FRA, USJ, ECS, DA, and looks like st george is growing to be good etc but would love thoes kids and the TEAM play maryville mccallie baylor farragut (if they would) etc...Hopefully we can will see something next year. The league would be great and fair if they added CPA, Goodpasture, BGA, PJP2, Briacrest, Catholic, Notre Dame, all into this division. that would be an awesome state playffs year in year out every game

You are right to believe these certainly feel like up years, but lets not forget the 1990-2001 years with, ryan chinn, pennington, husky, and terry copeland then the 04-currently with campbells, beelers etc.....just as a webb fan, i want to see my team and thoes blance brothers play against some teams that really challenge them. This league has "good teams" with DCA, FRA, USJ, ECS, DA, and looks like st george is growing to be good etc but would love thoes kids and the TEAM play maryville mccallie baylor farragut (if they would) etc...Hopefully we can will see something next year. The league would be great and fair if they added CPA, Goodpasture, BGA, PJP2, Briacrest, Catholic, Notre Dame, all into this division. that would be an awesome state playffs year in year out every game

I agree this would be a great league if some more of the teams still playing in DI came over. In the West, the only team I can think of that could be added would be TCA. Not sure if they'd be interested in switching though as that would mean they'd be battling St. George's, USJ, JCS, and Fayette Academy just for a playoff spot. But the fact that a team still alive in week 3 of the DI-2A playoffs wouldn't have made the playoffs in the DII-A West 1 region reflects favorably on the quality of play in DII-A, in my opinion.

An East region where Goodpasture, Webb, Notre Dame, and maybe CPA were battling it out every year would be great for the league, fans, and players. I've got to admit that I'm secretly hoping for a complete split. I think it would be best for everyone.

For USJ fans (or anyone else who gets the Jackson Sun): did the Jackson Sun not have any article at all on the USJ vs. Webb game? I live out of the area and only visit the website. I didn't see any article online on the game Saturday and there was nothing today as well. I was really hoping to see the stats at least! It's been a good year for Jackson football though with North Side, Liberty, JCS, USJ, and TCA all making it to the second round of the playoffs at least.

Edited by KublahKD

Obviously those are some great names from the past! How about the Smith family? Loved watching all those Smith boys play. Copeland and Berry were around the time I started following Webb. Those two were really good as was Walker.

The problem, as you know, is that Webb has a very hard time scheduling local teams. They haven't lost to a Knox Co. public school in about 8 years. I think they are on a 14-0 streak over that time period. The Beardens, Powells, Wests, AEs that used to be on the schedule dropped off after never being able to beat Webb. I know Webb has tried to schedule Farragut numerous times but it hasn't worked out for whatever reason. I'm with you, I would love to see what Webb could do against Greenville, DB, Maryville, Alcoa etc.

I would love to see the privates come out of the public league across the state. That would help in my opinion and create much better competition during the regular season.

An East region where Goodpasture, Webb, Notre Dame, and maybe CPA were battling it out every year would be great for the league, fans, and players. I've got to admit that I'm secretly hoping for a complete split. I think it would be best for everyone.

I agree, I think all the privates across the state need to be in their own league. I'd like to see that happen. We'll never see the day where all schools, public and private are in the same league so I think a complete split is best.

Here are the stats from the game...

Webb 41, USJ 14

USJ 0 7 0 7 — 14

Webb 13 0 13 15 — 41

Scoring: W—Caleb Blance 20 run (kick

failed); Aaron Blance 43 run (Robby Strachan

kick); USJ—Jake Overby 3 run (Hunter

Anthony kick); W—Aaron Blance 12 pass

from Parker Wormsley (conversion failed);

W—Caleb Blance 21 run (Strachan kick);

USJ—Chase Rushing 25 pass from Overby

(Anthony kick); W—Aaron Blance 20 run

(Aaron Blance conversion); Caleb Blance 75

run (Starechan kick).

...................USJ.......Webb

First downs.........20.........17

Rushes-yards....29-196.....46-433

Passing............172.........20

Comp-Att-Int...15-26-1......2-7-0

Punts.............3-39.......2-36

Fumbles-Lost.......2-2........0-0

Penalties-Yards...5-40.......2-25

Records: Webb 11-0; USJ 10-2

Yes, I thought USJ's QB was the best throwing QB Webb has faced this year. I think I said "exposed Webb's young secondary somewhat last night". 172 yards on 15 completions could be somewhat exposing a young secondary in some people's opinion. The interception by TK was a huge play in the game and did "affect" USJ's passing game as you said.

In my opionion, many of the "keepers" run by the USJ QB were designed runs. When the QB takes the shotgun snap and immediately tucks it and runs then I'm pretty sure his intent was to never pass.

I understand when the QB takes the shotgun snap and immediately tucks it and runs, then it was a designed keeper. However, more often than not, the USJ QB would bootleg and look for receivers downfield before tucking to run. Our young secondary had the routes covered. That's what I meant by affecting their passing game.

Of the 15 completions, how many were thrown downfield? Most were bubble screens or tunnel screens in which the receiver broke the initial tackle for more yardage.

It's true that our young secondary hasn't been tested much this season, but they rose to the challenge Friday night.

It's true that our young secondary hasn't been tested much this season, but they rose to the challenge Friday night.

Webb's young secondary did a good job against a very good USJ QB. Berube, Blance, Kelly and Melton are going to be an exceptionally talented defensive backfield for the next 2 years. Particularly Kelly and Melton have done a good job lessening the affect of losing two all-state safeties to graduation. Berube and Blance are returning starters from last year and have played well all season too. Webb's DBs are in great hands as Coach Collier does a great job with them and coaches them up when they need it. They are all quick, fast and don't mind getting physical with run support. They will have another tough test this Friday as ECS has a talented Soph. QB who has taken over for their very good QB from last year who has moved to WR.

They will have another tough test this Friday as ECS has a talented Soph. QB who has taken over for their very good QB from last year who has moved to WR.

Going to be the first time in prime time for this young man and, in my opinion, the fastest defense they've seen this year.

A little snippet from the Sunday CA:

Losing a starting quarterback is never a good thing, but in a way, it's worked to Evangelical Christian School's benefit.

The Eagles, who opened their Division 2-A postseason with a 45-7 victory over Jackson Christian Friday, lost senior Will Jamison to a knee injury in the middle of the year. That put sophomore Brent Rooker into the spotlight.

"Brent, early on, was not ready," said Eagles coach Geoff Walters. "That (injury) thrust him into the starting role and it was either sink or swim. And he's done a great job of swimming."

So much so that he's still starting now that Jamison's back. And that's given the Eagles one more weapon, with the versatile Jamison lining up all over the field.

"He's our utility guy," Walters said. "He'll play a little quarterback, a little running back, a little wide receiver, maybe even a little defensive back. Will is such a great athlete, it adds another dimension to our offense."

Jamison showed his multiple skills Friday, catching five passes for 123 yards and two scores. The victory sends the Eagles (8-3) into next week's semifinals; they'll hit the road to take on undefeated Knoxville Webb.

"It's going to be a long ride, a long trip," said Walters. "But it will be a great trial run for the state championship if we're lucky enough and fortunate enough to win. Webb is a great, great team."