Knox Webb vs USJ

PowerSweep

Well, this one should be a great game! Two teams that played for it all last season will meet again in the quarterfinals. Both teams have graduated key players from last season. I know USJ's outstanding receiver and some lineman graduated while Webb graduated 18 seniors.

These two teams appear to have opposite strengths in that USJ will throw it around with their tremendous returning QB while Webb likes to utilize their 3 small but very quick RBs to run a very precise and disciplined wing-t offense. Basically I see this matchup boiling down to who is better able to limit the others' offense. I feel that both teams will score on each other, but it will come down to who can make some key stops or turnovers.

I know USJ will be primed for revenge as the Spartans pretty much took them out of their game early in last year's championship game game. USJ never got their passing game going as Webb continued to apply pressure from the edge on the USJ QB while Webb's DBs pretty much shut down the USJ receivers and didn't allow them to get open very often. USJ had a hard time stopping Webb's run and also gave up some passing yardage too.

USJ could find some openings in their passing game as Webb graduated 3 out of the 4 DBs from last year's team with two of those being all-state safeties. That group last year was very good at covering the pass and pretty much shut down anyone who tried to throw on them. Their DBs are very young, 2 sophomores and 2 freshman, so it will be a huge test for them to stop a very talented USJ QB.

On the other hand, USJ will have to find a way to defend an offense that presents 3 RBs who can really fly. You really never know which one has the ball as Webb does a great job of running their wing-t offense using a lot of mis-direction and they carry out all ball fakes which confuses things even more. I really believe the x-factor for Webb's offense is the passing game. They don't throw it a lot but when they do it's in the capable hands of a 4-year starter at QB with some talented skill athletes who can make plays after the catch. Webb's offensive coordinator is very good at making adjustments and has shown he doesn't mind throwing it around when teams load the box to defend the run.

I thought USJ was very well coached and the players were tough and played extremely hard in last year's championship game. There was no quit in USJ, so I know the Spartan players will remember this and respect them as a team who could put them out Friday night. In the end I believe Webb's overall team speed will be the deciding factor. Their skill positions are well-stocked with speed but they are also very fast at all LB positions and both DEs. However, USJ can certainly put the Spartans out if they find themselves able to move the ball and slow down Webb's running game. Turnovers will be a huge factor in deciding who wins this game. I really believe this one could go either way but I'm hoping for a Spartan victory and an injury-free game. Let's also hope that all USJ fans along with the team and coaches who are traveling across the state to have a safe trip!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just hope this one is closer than last year's! Knoxville Webb is a great team. I think USJ might match up a little better this year as they seem to have more depth and a better running game. Has anyone seen both teams play this year?

Does anyone know where or if we'll be able to listen to this game online?

Well I just hope this one is closer than last year's! Knoxville Webb is a great team. I think USJ might match up a little better this year as they seem to have more depth and a better running game.

KublahKD I definitely see this game being much closer than last year's championship game. I see it one of two ways, it's either going to come down to who has the ball last in a shootout or either team has a couple of turnovers that helps the other win by a couple of scores. I really would not expect either team to blow the other team out unless something really unexpected happened.

As far as radio coverage I'm not sure yet... but you can get updates from the Knoxville News Sentinel preps editor, Jesse Smithey on his Twitter page Friday night.

http://twitter.com/#!/prepxtra

Well I just hope this one is closer than last year's! Knoxville Webb is a great team. I think USJ might match up a little better this year as they seem to have more depth and a better running game. Has anyone seen both teams play this year?

Does anyone know where or if we'll be able to listen to this game online?

http://www.tssaanetwork.com/webbschool/

Friday, November 12, 7:00 PM EST, LIVE VIDEO WEBCAST: TSSAA Division II-A STATE QUARTERFINALS - Webb Football vs University School of Jackson, . USE A WIRED CONNECTION IF POSSIBLE.

Join the W.O.W. Network Broadcast team from Faust Field for the TSSAA Division II-A State Quarterfinals between the University School of Jackson Bruins and the Webb School Spartans. The Shrimp Dock Sideline Show airs 30 minutes prior to game time at 6:30 P.M. EST with a look back at the regular season. Kick-off with live play-by-play commentary and analysis is set for 7:00 P.M. EST.

That's awesome. I look forward to checking out the USJ/Webb game. If I'm not mistake Jackson Christian usually live streams their audio broadcast so anybody that wants should be able to hear the ECS/JCS game if interested. Check out their web site or the CoachT scoreboard and there's usually a link there if I recall correctly.

http://wtjs.com/

Try St. George's and Franklin Road (should be a GREAT matchup) on the St. George's live streaming video.

http://gryphonmedia.webs.com/livebroadcast.htm

Edited by Trojan Fan

Webb 42

USJ 14

I don't believe that the USJ defense, that got scorched last year in the State Championship, can stop Webb. USJ didn't stop the Blance brothers last year and I don't see them even slowing them down this year. They are just too fast. If they do put 9 or 10 in the box then Wormsley will go over the top.

USJ has no chance! I've seen Webb play and USJ this year. It will be a blowout!

Bold prediction but to say USJ has no chance is something I can't agree with. I haven't seen USJ play this year but I would be shocked if it's a blowout.

Halftime Webb up 13-7. Webb scored on first two possessions. USJ was driving and had turnover around 30 yard line before scoring at the end of the half. USJ gets ball to start 2nd half - not a blowout but Webb is good.