Greeneville vs Gibbs

DevilMan03

Ok, I normally hate this kinda stuff but after reading today's Johnson City Press I just have to post - this might get long. First, congratulations to Gibbs on such a good season - all the players should be very proud of themselves for all their hard work and making it to the playoffs. Coach Conley, however, should be ashamed of himself. He is an embarassment to Gibbs and has really taken something away from their achievement with the comments he made after the game. It can only be described as poor sportsmanship but after 4 "unsportsmanlike conduct" calls against Gibbs it's really no surprise. Every week I read the newspapers and all the coaches have good things to say about the other team, win or lose, particularly the players - who may I remind you are kids. How ridiculous is it to say you came to Greeneville intending to win? Does any coach go into a third round playoff game intending to lose? I hope not for their player's sakes. And the comment that Greeneville has not played anyone? Add Gibbs to that list I guess since we beat them by not 2, not 4, but 6 touchdowns just like we did everyone else - and had to once again use the mercy rule. There's a reason you've heard all year that they're the greatest team - you got to see it firsthand last night. We didn't win by 3 we only let you score 3. But the comment that really showed Coach Conley's true colors was calling out one of our kids by his name. . . are you kidding me? "If Rollins played tonight we were going to run the same stuff"? Greeneville ran all over Gibbs without Rollins so why even bring that up? But maybe it can be seen as a compliment since Rollins was obviously on Coach Conley's mind without even stepping on the field. Stewart and Collier did well, as expected, and Greeneville is just as proud of them as we would have been of Big Rell - but it sure would have been nice to see "The Mel & Rell Show" and #72 running some Eagles over just like #50 did. Rollins and all of the Devils have worked their butts off to get where they are and no one can take anything away from them - especially not a sore loser of a coach. Were the Greene Devils the 16 and 17 year olds out there or was Coach Conley the true child last night? Shame on him!! BTW Greeneville over Maplewood 28 to 17. GO BIG GEEEEENE & yes I misspelled it on purpose.

"haven't played anybody" has gotta be the quote of the day. I wonder if Conley has taken a look at his own schedule. Well maybe we haven't but we have kicked the dog squeeze out of all them including his "boys of fall". I guess now at least they can say they have played somebody... The men of play-off!

"haven't played anybody" has gotta be the quote of the day. I wonder if Conley has taken a look at his own schedule. Well maybe we haven't but we have kicked the dog squeeze out of all them including his "boys of fall". I guess now at least they can say they have played somebody... The men of play-off!

While we are in Coach Conley, does anyone know why he decided to spike the ball on third down to make it fourth down and to stop the clock, then call a timeout after the spike? Just made no since to me, and a bad coaching call if you ask me. Save your down and a few seconds if you plan on calling a timeout anyways. But, I'm not a coach and don't get paid to make the decisions.

While we are in Coach Conley, does anyone know why he decided to spike the ball on third down to make it fourth down and to stop the clock, then call a timeout after the spike? Just made no since to me, and a bad coaching call if you ask me. Save your down and a few seconds if you plan on calling a timeout anyways. But, I'm not a coach and don't get paid to make the decisions.

How bout the decision to go for it on 4th down on the opening drive of the second half on their side of the field? A little too desperate a little too early maybe,idk but it was pretty much over after that point. Hibbett can tote the rock though, no doubt about that.

Shoulda kicked the field goal too!

From somebody who is completely neutral:

I read the articles that were mentioned, and I honestly don't see anything wrong with what the Gibbs coach said. He was disappointed that his kids couldn't finish when it sounds like they were able to run the ball against G'ville. And, you don't know what wasn't put in the article...the reporter could've asked him if his game plan would've changed if Rollins (whoever that is) had played, but he didn't say that it was asked.

However, whoever this Carmichael is or thinks he is needs to be taken down a notch:

“It’s amazing to have a good back like he is,†Carmichael said, “and then myself.†(from JC Press)

I looked at Greeneville's schedule, and, to be perfectly honest, they haven't really played any really good teams yet. Yes, they beat some teams that had beaten them the previous year, but those teams weren't that great last year. Now, schedule a CAK or Oak Ridge and let's see what happens.

Edited by tornadogold

I read the articles that were mentioned, and I honestly don't see anything wrong with what the Gibbs coach said. He was disappointed that his kids couldn't finish when it sounds like they were able to run the ball against G'ville. And, you don't know what wasn't put in the article...the reporter could've asked him if his game plan would've changed if Rollins (whoever that is) had played, but he didn't say that it was asked.

However, whoever this Carmichael is or thinks he is needs to be taken down a notch:

“It’s amazing to have a good back like he is,†Carmichael said, “and then myself.†(from JC Press)

I looked at Greeneville's schedule, and, to be perfectly honest, they haven't really played any really good teams yet. Yes, they beat some teams that had beaten them the previous year, but those teams weren't that great last year. Now, schedule a CAK or Oak Ridge and let's see what happens.

As far as Willie is concerned, he is pretty much amazing. Gee lets put 3 camera's, microphones and lights in a 17-year-old kid's face after a hard fought emotional game and ask him how he feels. A coach is supposed to lead by example. His remarks were borderline smack.(“If Rollins had played tonight we were going to run the same stuff we ran tonight,†Conley said. “We came up here knowing we could run the football on this bunch." and " They hadn’t played anybody. We came up here knowing we could run the football and We didn’t finish." You know, he could have given some credit to a stout defense and stand-out performances by our offense but he chose to behave like a petulant little boy.

He was still raw after being flagged for 4 unsportsmanlike conducts on the same play( and having his QB ejected...funny that wasn't mentioned in the pre-xtra article). Going back to your comment about teams we played....I believe one of them will be your opponent next Friday.

Tornadogold: Why don't you get off your self righteous high horse. Sounds to me that you may be a bit worried about having to share the stage. Granted, GHS may not be the next best thing to sliced bread, but there are other teams that are pretty good besides, what's the name of that school? Alcoopa, no Alocoa. Wonder how good you'd be if you didn't get all of Knoxville's finest?

You can't say this is completely neutral. You have been hatin on Greeneville since post one on our treads.

Completely neutral hahaha yeah right keep telling your self that there bud. If we have not played anyone and beat the FIRE SNOT out of his boys then what does that say about the teams they played and beat (exept fulton which we beat 45-0)?

Tornadogold: Why don't you get off your self righteous high horse. Sounds to me that you may be a bit worried about having to share the stage. Granted, GHS may not be the next best thing to sliced bread, but there are other teams that are pretty good besides, what's the name of that school? Alcoopa, no Alocoa. Wonder how good you'd be if you didn't get all of Knoxville's finest?

Nope, not worried a bit. We've had the limelight, or at least have shared it, for going on 7 years now. We all know it's not going to last. It's good to see another E. Tn. team that's not in the same county get some recognition. I was just trying to be the voice of reason, but now I see that's impossible with G'ville fans.

I don't believe we have any players from Knoxville on the team. But, just curious: how many players from the county schools go to GHS? (Just curious, is all)

For the record: I have some ties to G'ville, so I'm not a "hater". Just trying to stay neutral.

Gvilledevils: You must have me confused with someone else...I didn't comment on Post 1 of your "treads".

Edited by tornadogold