Buck Coatney of Knoxville Fulton resigns as coach..

Turtle

Buck Coatney stepped down as Fulton football coach today. I'm not at all a Fulton fan however this news is shocking to all of my Fulton faithful friends. I for one, thought Ol Bucky was an alright coach with some lucky victories over my Roadrunners. I think he'll be remembered as a coach that was scared to renew the Battle of Broadway series, the coach who always lost to AE in the regular season but always beat them in the playoffs, and the coach that banned me from the Fulton press box for playing Crank that Roadrunner over the loud speakers. :roflol: ... All jokes aside, I think Ol'Bucky was one of the best defensive mind coaches in the State! I tip my hat for all he's done for the Fulton community and I wish him the best of luck in his retirement from the field..

I'm telling the COACHT posters now, ROBBIE BLACK will be the new head coach at Fulton.. Mark my word and remember TURTLE said it here first :roflol:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/nov/15/buck-coatney-resigns-fulton-football-coach/

Edited by Turtle

Buck Coatney stepped down as Fulton football coach today. I'm not at all a Fulton fan however this news is shocking to my all of Fulton faithful friends. I for one, thought Ol Bucky was an alright coach with some lucky victories over my Roadrunners. I think he'll be remembered as a coach that was scared to renew the Battle of Broadway series, the coach who always lost to AE in the regular season but always beat them in the playoffs, and the coach that banned me from the Fulton press box for playing Crank that Roadrunner over the loud speakers. :roflol: ... All joking aside, I think Ol'Bucky was one of the best defensive mind coaches in the State! I tip my hat for all he's done for the Fulton community and I wish him the best of luck in his retirement from the field..

I'm telling the COACHT posters now, ROBBIE BLACK will be the new head coach at Fulton.. Mark my word and remember TURTLE said it here first :roflol:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/nov/15/buck-coatney-resigns-fulton-football-coach/

I had heard that rumor and it didnt surprise me at all ... I kinda expected it since the seniors that had been there the last 4 years graduate this year .... somr talent coming back but I dont think they will ever get a run of good players like they had 2002 thru 2008 .... but they accomplished some great things thru those years .. playing state championship game in 5 out of 6 years and winning 3 titles.

I for one, thought Ol Bucky was an alright coach with some lucky victories over my Roadrunners. I think he'll be remembered as a coach that was scared to renew the Battle of Broadway series, the coach who always lost to AE in the regular season but always beat them in the playoffs, and the coach that banned me from the Fulton press box for playing Crank that Roadrunner over the loud speakers.

yea Turtle you hit it right ... couldnt beat the Falcons in playoffs which are bigger games .. and dont go out on too big a limb saying that Robbie will be next coach ... THATS A GIVEN !!!

the fulton family lost a part of their history today. coatney was not only a great coach. he was also a all state player for the falcons . im sure he is done coaching and will take it easy. if you know the fulton family you know most coaches are former players and are very loyal to the school . if robbie wants the job im sure is his. he haS been the offense coach the last 18 years i believe he was born at fulton lol. fulton is a unique place , . thanks coach coatney for your service at fulton.

• 5 weeks later...

I LOVE seeing all of the support for Coach Rob Black as the next Head Coach at FHS. The truth is...he is not necessarily being offered the position of Head Football Coach for Fulton High School. Why? You tell me!!! It was stated earlier that "he was born at Fulton High School." That is the truth. He stood on that sideline along with his Dad since he was big enough to stand! He graduated from Fulton High School All KIL in three sports. He put his heart and soul into that school as a student and player...and still does as a well respected Coach! He graduated from Carson Newman College (on scholarship) with a business degree and acquired a well paying job in finance. However, money does NOT buy happiness! With much thought and prayer, he felt strongly that his calling was actually to teach and coach at Fulton High School (just like his Dad). He left his finance job and went back to school to earn his teaching degree and CHOSE to return to his home at Fulton High School as a teacher and coach. After 18 years, he goes above and beyond what should ever be required of a teacher and coach at an inner city school. His dedication and love for those kids is bigger than life itself. I will go as far as saying many of those kids would not have graduated high school without the love and support from Coach Rob Black (as well as the rest of the coaching staff). He doesn't do it for money! He does it because he loves Fulton High School and he loves those kids! It is an extreme disappointment and slap in the face that he was NOT automatically offered the position. It is sad that he and his Dad's dedication to this school has been disrespected. Many of you know that Coach Rob Black has been offered MANY coaching positions at other schools (some for more pay). He would NOT even consider it...he is a Fulton Falcon! His blood runs maroon. His closets are FILLED with maroon attire for wear on and off the field. He drives a maroon vehicle and pays extra for a license plate to say FHS!(Am I making my point?) He played a big part as offensive coordinator to obtain championships at the State level. He was the baseball coach for several years. He currently announces all of the home basketball games and drives the team bus to away basketball games. This is not just a job to him! This school is a BIG, BIG part of his life! I am very sad that he is being disrespected after all of his complete dedication to this school. Is he still in the running for Head Coach? Yes he is, but it has been stated that he will not necessarily be offered the position. I have been told that the final decision will rest with Dr. Rysewyk. If any of you agree with me that Rob Black should be offered the postion to continue what God called him to do at "Bob Black Field" (named after his Dad), please write a letter, email, or phone call to Dr. Rysewyk, Executive Principal of FHS (rysewykj@k12tn.net) and Athletic Director Jody Wright (wrightj2@k12tn.net) and extend your support for Coach Rob Black. That coaching staff is a FAMILY and is about tradition and true love for what they do with those kids. I pray that the right decision is made for this position. There are several other schools that would love to have him. Go Falcons!

Edited by 4 My Sister

• 2 weeks later...