New coach in wilson co?

Creekbank76

There's a sizable gap between the pay for experienced teachers and coaches in Sumner / Rutherford and Wilson County. Starting pay is pretty close, but once you get up around 8-10 years, the difference is serious (roughly $8,000 a year). This hurt Wilson Central's coaching search a year ago and it looks to be doing the same at LHS.

New school set to open in the fall of 2012, the addition of advanced PE for in-season lifting, a solid junior class -- all these things are great, but until the pay issue is addressed, Wilson County is spinning its wheels.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a sizable gap between the pay for experienced teachers and coaches in Sumner / Rutherford and Wilson County. Starting pay is pretty close, but once you get up around 8-10 years, the difference is serious (roughly $8,000 a year). This hurt Wilson Central's coaching search a year ago and it looks to be doing the same at LHS.

New school set to open in the fall of 2012, the addition of advanced PE for in-season lifting, a solid junior class -- all these things are great, but until the pay issue is addressed, Wilson County is spinning its wheels.

The pay hurts but the not having the kids 4th block in the off season for weights kills them!

Edited by Bulldog97

I just did a quick check of Wilco (Williamson County) 5A/6A schools Brentwood, Ravenwood, Franklin and Centennial from the 2010 season. It looks like these four went a combined 3-7 vs. teams from Sumner and Rutherford -- all teams with a designated athletic period. Please check my math, I was in a hurry, but the numbers don't appear to indicate these 4 "do just fine" when going head-to-head against teams that lift during the regular school day.

IMO it's a big deal when the people you play on a regular basis can lift during the regular school day and you don't. The kids get to go home sooner, have more time to study or work part-time jobs. The off-season is even more important, because the underclassmen (those who might not yet drive) can lift during the day, then go home on the bus after school. It's certainly more attractive to the coaches, who can get home at a decent hour.

Excuses Excuses..Wilco has no 4th block or 8th period and they do just fine :popcorneater:

Funny, Rutherford has how many state champions in last 20 years?

Funny, Sumner has how many state championships in last 20 years?

Not funny, Wilco has how many?

Remember this Wilco fans, Wilco is not a top notch region! FACT

Please Eddie; our coaching search turned out just fine! With Coach Dedman, our future is solid!

go dubc

I just did a quick check of Wilco (Williamson County) 5A/6A schools Brentwood, Ravenwood, Franklin and Centennial from the 2010 season. It looks like these four went a combined 3-7 vs. teams from Sumner and Rutherford -- all teams with a designated athletic period. Please check my math, I was in a hurry, but the numbers don't appear to indicate these 4 "do just fine" when going head-to-head against teams that lift during the regular school day.

IMO it's a big deal when the people you play on a regular basis can lift during the regular school day and you don't. The kids get to go home sooner, have more time to study or work part-time jobs. The off-season is even more important, because the underclassmen (those who might not yet drive) can lift during the day, then go home on the bus after school. It's certainly more attractive to the coaches, who can get home at a decent hour.

Hogan agress with all you said...just saying it can be done without a athletic period. Trust me, I know the difference and it's huge.

Like an old principal once told Hogan..."Coach,On the 6 and 10 o'clock News it's News, Weather and Sports...not News, Weather and Academics"...nuff said :popcorneater:

Edited by Hoganknows

It would be nice if the timing worked out like it did a few yrs ago at MJ where coach Perry could see an increase in classification coming at Portland while the talent level at best stayed the same or got worse. He struck while the iron was hot and has MJ football easily as the best 6A program in Wilson Co (not saying much) and on the rise in Mid TN. Anyone know of any candidates like this for LHS?

Eddie, do you think this realization wore on coach Brown his last few yrs at LHS? The reason I ask is because I sensed a little bit of a 'defeated attitude' in his comments the last couple years. I remember early in his tenure LHS opened the season at Antioch (when Lamarcus Coker/Preston Brown were jrs). LHS lost the game by about 2 tds and were not expected to win but Coach Brown was had a lot of fire in his voice during his postgame comments. He very clearly felt his team was equal to the task that night and he was upset they came up short. But the last couple of years after defeats it was basically 'Aw shucks we tried hard but they're just better than we are'. I think he realized that he wasn't playing from the same deck of cards as his opposition.