Help The T$$AA

Lost Old Dad

Clint Abbott is correct:

1. Members of the Legislative council and Board of Control are school employees who are elected to these (I believe) non-paying positions. It is these bodies who adopted the so-called Z Plan. If the COACHES want the playoff format changed, a majority will have to let TSSAA know about it. If the two bodies do not do the bidding of the member schools, these people will be voted out at the next election.

2. The Z Plan was installed because of, I think, a serious problem. There were quality teams who were left out of the playoff while poor teams made it in. It just depended on what district the team was in. I don't believe the members (teams) want this to happen again.

3. However, the Clint Abbott I remember is too much of a gentleman to call someone a moron.

Your #2 is an awful strange answer and sounds like a TSSAA answer..in the old plan the top 4 teams in each Region advanced to playoffs...heck if your not in the top 4 in your Region...you don't belong in the playofffs. Top 4 went to playoffs with 1st and 2nd getting first round home games and 3rd and 4th go on the road in the first round...heck of alot better than this Z Plan Mess from you know who.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You asked for an alternative to the TSSAA. I would say that if all the "players" in the football withdrew their affiliation from the TSSAA and started their own "league" much like the D2 classes in size. Several other schools would likely follow. Football gates make the TSSAA. It would fold without those gate receipts from the major programs.

We all know that maybe there is a board of controls. But, we also know who called the shots and put into play anything that was wanted at the TSSAA office. I have talked to alot of coaches in my day and have never heard one of them say that the TSSAA wanted what was in the best interest of the students and or schools. They wanted to cut down on travel so they stuck milan in the same quadrant as York Institute. York had to drive about 260 miles to play a playoff Game. If anything can be called moronic it is that. What it comes down to is fatter salaries and more money to play with at Teenagers and schools expense.

Your #2 is an awful strange answer and sounds like a TSSAA answer..in the old plan the top 4 teams in each Region advanced to playoffs...heck if your not in the top 4 in your Region...you don't belong in the playofffs. Top 4 went to playoffs with 1st and 2nd getting first round home games and 3rd and 4th go on the road in the first round...heck of alot better than this Z Plan Mess from you know who.

Well Hulk, I am not with tssaa. I am what is known as ROS. Really Old School. Retired educator and coach of over 30 years. TSSAA is like any other representative organization. It is, I believe, more responsive to its membership than either the state legislature or the congress. You speak of the previous playoff fromat. The football playoffs started around 1970 and consisted of 3 classes. Only the top two teams qualified. The A, AA, and AAA classes held until 1992. In 1993 the state went to 5 classes. This must have seemed like a good idea because total attendance at all championship games rose from about 50,000 in '92 to about 70,000 in '93. In '03, '04, and '05 (I think) we had 8 championship games (5 div I and 3 div II) but attendance was down to about 30,000 each year. You speak of teams not in the top 4 not belonging in the playoffs. Do you remember the name Livingstone Academy? The year they won the state AA championship I believe they were 4th in their region. They won some close games against teams in their region that did not make the playoffs, any one of which would have knocked the state champion out of the playoffs. I've also seen all four teams from one district get knocked out in the first round - the district champ beaten by the 4th place team from the other district. I'm not saying the Z Plan is perfect - far from it. But keep in mind that the plan is what the majority of Football coaches wanted. I agree, it might benifit from some modifying. I'm just not ready to see it go away without the decision of the state's coaches

I am not at odds with the TSSAA per se. But anyone with any measure of common sense can see the Z plan is garbage. The previous system was better hands down. But you say that coaches run the TSSAA. Well IMOP coaches do one thing good...coach. I point you no further than the coaches ALL STATE team. As compared to the Sports Writers ALL STATE team. In addition, I point you to the rosters of the ALL STAR games. The Coaches ALL STATE team is nothing more than a "I'll sign your health bill, if you sign my labor union bill" greased handshake. And the ALL STAR rosters are proprietary to who is coaching the team and who he keeps close to the vest. If an ALL STATE player does not make the ALL STAR team over a player who did not make ALL STATE would you think we have a problem?

I don't care if you have been a coach or a teacher or an adminstrator or all of the previous, politics are out of hand at every level in government and corporate America. TSSAA is no different. So post how many employees the TSSAA has. Post how many jobs are charity. Then post the salaries. I garantee you someone is making far too much money for far too little work.

The Z Plan has no logic whatsoever. The regular season is a disaster. The playoffs moronic. By the way, who does the TSSAA reconcile to? Exactly.

I offer an apology to Lost Old Dad for my use of the word moron. It was late at night and I was either sleepy or tipsy. I do not use that word very often. Please accept my apology. I will buy you a meal sometime in Murfreesboro.

No problem. I have been called MUCH worse by a couple of ex wives, their boyfriends, and some folks I have sent away to prison, and lastly by some that work at the prisons when I was their training officer. :mrgreen::roflol:

Its when folks are shooting at me or coming at me with a knife that gets a reaction out of me that is hostile. <_<

Well Hulk, I am not with tssaa. I am what is known as ROS. Really Old School. Retired educator and coach of over 30 years. TSSAA is like any other representative organization. It is, I believe, more responsive to its membership than either the state legislature or the congress. You speak of the previous playoff fromat. The football playoffs started around 1970 and consisted of 3 classes. Only the top two teams qualified. The A, AA, and AAA classes held until 1992. In 1993 the state went to 5 classes. This must have seemed like a good idea because total attendance at all championship games rose from about 50,000 in '92 to about 70,000 in '93. In '03, '04, and '05 (I think) we had 8 championship games (5 div I and 3 div II) but attendance was down to about 30,000 each year. You speak of teams not in the top 4 not belonging in the playoffs. Do you remember the name Livingstone Academy? The year they won the state AA championship I believe they were 4th in their region. They won some close games against teams in their region that did not make the playoffs, any one of which would have knocked the state champion out of the playoffs. I've also seen all four teams from one district get knocked out in the first round - the district champ beaten by the 4th place team from the other district. I'm not saying the Z Plan is perfect - far from it. But keep in mind that the plan is what the majority of Football coaches wanted. I agree, it might benifit from some modifying. I'm just not ready to see it go away without the decision of the state's coaches

First, there Mr. Tal we seem to be in the same age bracket, so Hogan has seen it all also...I said if you were not in the top 4 ..you didn't belong in the playoffs..LA was in the top 4 and belonged, mute point. Also, I don't believe the coaches voted for this Z Plan...the board or whatever you call it did. And coaches or schools voting don't mean a thing to the TSSAA...do you remember a few years back when all 3 sections of the state for for a complete split of public and private...what happened then ...it didn't happen, we got the multiplier I believe.

The Z Plan has made the TSSAA make changes to the playoff system in mid stream and down stream...it seems like it's time to admit...WE Made A Mistake

Edited by Hoganknows

It's bad enough that the T$$AA can't seem to get things right. THEY REALLY DONT CARE what you think. As long as they draw their fat salaries and visit distant beaches, their good! They know it is hard to do anything about it so they continue to do what they do.

If they half way acted like they were somewhat humble and accepted information and advice from people, it probably wouldnt be so bad. At least act like you care!

By the way....$8 per person for a game is too much...especially if you are taking kids with you to see the game.

They have run out of ideas and would actually like some input from the fans to find a way the playoffs could possibly be WORSE!

Keep in mind there has to be the same amount of playoff games as there is now so the income level does not fall off and the Board cannot have its meeting at some dreary place like Florida or God forbid.......Hawaii!

Remember games have to be close.......like say 100-200 miles away!

Rivalrys? Poppycock........playing teams that are weak builds character and gets you ready for the playoffs that NOBODY can understand how they are seeded.

Look out BCS, the T$$AA has an 'improved' format for you.....well for a nominal fee of say a MILLION DOLLARS!

Can we all say I am NOT impressed for yet another year with the T$$AA?

Can somebody actually tell me how we can FIRE the T$$AA?

get involved; read the by-laws; hound your school superintendent and/or principals; talk to your coaches and athletic directors. reading the by-laws (go to their website) can help you motivate other people who share our concerns about TSSAA- I don't think they want too many of us folks looking into their business

I say we start a petition somehow. An email petition or one we can send by mail somehow and get people to sign and send back to a central location to put together and send to every administrator and board member plus all schools saying enough is enough. We want a program that is conducive to our kids over anything else(their big salaries and Hawaiin vacations!)