simple way to look at private -vs- public debate

catsfan01

chakra, you make an excellent point there are lots of private schools in nashville, and yeah that does have a bearing on the numbers, and as for you realgoeagles, i am not in favor of kicking any one out i am looking for a more level playing field, and further more i say that for now the system is what it is so you have to go out play the games, everything runs in cycles it prob. want be to long till public schools are on a run of sucsess.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by KCHSCoach:

Guys you are missing the point, this is a democracy in the USA, people vote and choose what they want. Some communities have higher taxes some lower, it is their choice. Some smaller rural communities sued the state about fair funding a few years back and won, but Tennessee as a state is near the bottom when it comes to funding education. I think we are 45 or something like that. All I am saying is give people a real choice, why fund schools with tax dollars that cling to an the culture of mediocracy. True public schools have to educate everyone, but if you had school vouchers and freed up that money....someone out there will build a better mouse trap and get the job done better for cheaper. Competion is what it is all about. Give people a choice and opportunity is all I am saying....these kids are our future. we should all want the best for them.

This is not a democracy. This is a representative republic wherein we select delegates (Congressmen/Senators) to decide our laws. (And courts to strike them down and legislate from the bench.) A democracy would decide laws by referendum.

That being said, the concepts you make about vouchers are valid, but are always one shift in Congress or one Court vote away from forcing those same low standards of which you speak onto the private and religious schools, or force them to repay money already received in lieu of having to abide by those standards.

The schools in my county are adequate, imho, but I am no expert on teacher salaries and per student funding, which aren't always the problem. Throwing more money at a bad system without changing the protocol just serves as an endorsement of a bad system.

I believe that local, and to some degree states, could run their schools much, much, better than Big Brother. That's why my position is that the feds butt out and local control be restored. I think people would be willing to financially support their local schools much more if they can see a tangible result, and have a true say in manners of curriculum and discipline, rather than having their core beliefs perpetually struck down by the federal courts.

That's the only way schools will ever get back to teaching basic skills instead of philosophical endoctrination.