simple way to look at private -vs- public debate

catsfan01

for me this debate can be looked at this way , most private schools by student body numbers are 1a size schools but it goes deeper than that to me they may only have 1a student numbers but whether or not they go out and recruit players or not , they have an advantage most 1a schools are from small towns or communitys that get there player from there school district so they have to play the players they have. whild a private school most of which are in urban areas can get players from anywhere in that area, im not saying the recruit these players because i have no way of knowing that however it is still an advantage most 1a schools do not have i have no prob with priv school and public schools playing together but i do think some form of a mult. should be used.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by catsfan01:

for me this debate can be looked at this way , most private schools by student body numbers are 1a size schools but it goes deeper than that to me they may only have 1a student numbers but whether or not they go out and recruit players or not , they have an advantage most 1a schools are from small towns or communitys that get there player from there school district so they have to play the players they have. whild a private school most of which are in urban areas can get players from anywhere in that area, im not saying the recruit these players because i have no way of knowing that however it is still an advantage most 1a schools do not have i have no prob with priv school and public schools playing together but i do think some form of a mult. should be used.

One correction...it is now called the private/magnet vs. public debate

Madison County which has 90,000 people and has 3 private schools. However the way you phrase it that they have open arms to the whole 90,000. In reality, the bulk of this populus can`t afford private schools. Then you can eliminate the portion of population who would never consider a private school. When you divide that number by 3 schools, then you are left with a very small and defined segment from hich they can draw students.

where did you get your power to define the debate? did you become the moderator? since you would so like to dilute the discussion, why stop with magnet schools & memphis zones, why not throw in the kenyan & jamaican junior track programs. they have loaded the world record books for decades with undocumented (no birth certificate) "juniors" of indeterminate age.

here is a simple way to look at it. how do you explain 6 or 7 schools collecting 21 team championships over two years, while the other 80 or so schools in that classification got 1?

how do you explain the fact that last year, in sports with 3 & 4-A (football class) schools competing against the 1 & 2 A schools, the 3 & 4 A schools took home 10 titles, the same handful of SINGLE A privates scored 12, yet all the public 1 & 2 -A schools (along with the sad sack privates) combined to bring home ZERO?

if it is merely excellence, why is there not one example of a public school having anything like that success over all sports, even in the divisions with no privates?

another question; does your blood run cold when it starts to look like the private & public schools that are subsidizing state championship experience as a part of the curriculum at those 6 schools start to realize that they both have more in common with each other than with the beneficiaries of the system?

One correction...it is now called the private/magnet vs. public debate

Madison County which has 90,000 people and has 3 private schools. However the way you phrase it that they have open arms to the whole 90,000. In reality, the bulk of this populus can`t afford private schools. Then you can eliminate the portion of population who would never consider a private school. When you divide that number by 3 schools, then you are left with a very small and defined segment from hich they can draw students.

Let's just make that number 300. They only have 300 students to pick from. Somehow, in a lot of private schools, out of only those 300 they are able to find 40-50 stud football-basketball-baseball players!!! Is it just luck?

You give us some numbers. Out of those 90,000 how many do you think are eligble to attend a private school. Remember the strings that can be pulled for that stud player who really wants to go to that school. (not recruited) If you knock that nuber down to just 10% you are still bigger than any 2a school. Yet the school only picks 200 or so, because of space, teachers, ect... so now a school who could pick from a pool big enough to be 3a is playing 1a!

Posted by lazarus:

where did you get your power to define the debate? did you become the moderator? since you would so like to dilute the discussion, why stop with magnet schools & memphis zones, why not throw in the kenyan & jamaican junior track programs. they have loaded the world record books for decades with undocumented (no birth certificate) "juniors" of indeterminate age.

here is a simple way to look at it. how do you explain 6 or 7 schools collecting 21 team championships over two years, while the other 80 or so schools in that classification got 1?

how do you explain the fact that last year, in sports with 3 & 4-A (football class) schools competing against the 1 & 2 A schools, the 3 & 4 A schools took home 10 titles, the same handful of SINGLE A privates scored 12, yet all the public 1 & 2 -A schools (along with the sad sack privates) combined to bring home ZERO?

if it is merely excellence, why is there not one example of a public school having anything like that success over all sports, even in the divisions with no privates?

another question; does your blood run cold when it starts to look like the private & public schools that are subsidizing state championship experience as a part of the curriculum at those 6 schools start to realize that they both have more in common with each other than with the beneficiaries of the system?

Could you rewrite this cause i dont undersatnd ur point. If it is that you think the 1a and 2a privates could compete in 3a and 4a football then ya i agree with that.

And softballer i really dont think they 45-50 stud players. If they did there wouold no reason to play 7 to 8 kids both ways. Its obvious you dont know much about the 1a private schools and the way they have just been wasted in the past. You just see that they are suceesful and immediately think there has in inequality somewhere. I think they have better coaching better facilities and coachable kids = better teams.

[Edited by Chakra20 on 10-4-02 2:00P]

Laz....another question; does your blood run cold when it starts to look like the private & public schools that are subsidizing state championship experience as a part of the curriculum at those 6 schools start to realize that they both have more in common with each other than with the beneficiaries of the system?

HUH????? :confused: Do you mind rephrasing that?

I don't think I just said football. I think I listed all three major sports. And if you don't like my numbers feel free to plug your's in. You are right though, 1A is a little different. We are in 2A, and the numbers are a little higher here than in 1A, so forgive me.

Let's look at some other numbers. How many players of these private school teams are signing scholarships to D1 schools. Let's compare those numbers to the schools they are facing week in and week out! How many of Ezell's team went D1? How many are going to go this year?

Posted by JaxMan:

I am a private school fan in West Tenn. Last year USJ had one divsion 1 player. Fayette Academy 0, Trinity 0, JCS 0. This year the only Division 1 player in west tenn 1A is at Bruceton..a public school.

And what did USJ win? Nothing Lets look at the teams that were in the thick of things. Ezell & Goodpasture.

USJ actually made it to the sub finals. I would consider that the thick of things. I wish my school had done as well. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with you softballer. I was simply stating facts concerning Division one players. I actually do not know what Ezel had. Goodpasture is 2a and I primarly follow 1a. I do not know what is the best solution. I think their are schools who bend the rules, but I do not think all privates do. Therefore I do not think all privates should be split off. If a man robs a bank in a white car, not all people in white cars should go to jail.

[Edited by JaxMan on 10-4-02 2:41P]

And what did USJ win? Nothing Lets look at the teams that were in the thick of things. Ezell & Goodpasture.

I can answer that. One!

Ezell had a receiver/db sign with Vanderbilt. Their QB walked on a MTSU (He is on an academic scholarship). Goodpasture had 0 football signees. Chase Eakes is playing baseball at MTSU.

[Edited by Bighurt on 10-4-02 2:52P]