simple way to look at private -vs- public debate

catsfan01

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by catsfan01:

for all you private school supp. let me pose to you a ? lets say for instance that tssaa in all there infinite wisdom were to say that starting next year all private schools in div.I would be competing at the 5A level would that be fair to you ? and i know what you are thinking "that like comparing apples and oranges" but its not look at it this way wayne county high pulls its players from an area with a pop. of about 3500 people, where as ezell pulls its players from davidson county pop. somewhere upwards of 600,000 now as someone has already said they dont have all those kids just there for them but if you take just 10% of that population you have 60,000 which is still much larger than the towns most 5A schools pull from.

Just using ur example you have 10 % mark as a bench mark for people that could financially afford it and the kid could pass the exams to get in. Then how many private schools are there in Nashville. Hmmmm there are about MBA, CPA, DCA, Davidson, BA, Father Ryan, Ezell, LightHouse Christian, Nashville Christian and thats 10 i can think of the top of my head. So that takes ur number down to 6,000 to pull from each. Much smaller than your 60,000 estimate. I know you are using this as a what if scenario which im not a big fan of. The private schools dont have as many students to pull from as you think.

They will never put all the privates in 5A , beacuse they would go about 4-6 at best and most would lose every game unless they played themselves. They have as many students as they can take on without sacrificing education due to class sizes.

The one point ive made and will conitinue to make as long as the public school system of tennessee is terrible the privates will reap the better athletes no question. Id point out that TN ranks 48th in the nation in education. Simple Enough?

And what have you done to make public education in TN better? Nothing. Your philosophy, correct me if I'm wrong, we should do away with public ed. and the people should be responsible for educating their own kids! Sounds like we are going back to mid-evil days. The rich get the education and live in the town, the poor get beat down and live in the forest! I have always wondered why the highly talented, smart, skilled, wealthy people have not tried to work out problems with public schools???

Your comments(which may be valid) have nothing to do with sports and why the two obviously different schools, which are split in everything other than sports, should not be split there also!!!

[Edited by imasoftballer on 10-7-02 1:55P]

I am a former CPA school board member but thanks for the props!:D

The family who had a Salama student playing football were his legal guardians.

I don't know if there are students at CPA currently on Salama scholarship. I suspect not but I am not sure. And if there were, I seriously doubt they would be eligible to play sports.

I know CPA lost an impact athlete to Franklin in part due to eligibility issues.

[Edited by Bighurt on 10-7-02 3:37P]

Posted by imasoftballer:

And what have you done to make public education in TN better? Nothing. Your philosophy, correct me if I'm wrong, we should do away with public ed. and the people should be responsible for educating their own kids! Sounds like we are going back to mid-evil days. The rich get the education and live in the town, the poor get beat down and live in the forest! I have always wondered why the highly talented, smart, skilled, wealthy people have not tried to work out problems with public schools???

Your comments(which may be valid) have nothing to do with sports and why the two obviously different schools, which are split in everything other than sports, should not be split there also!!!

[Edited by imasoftballer on 10-7-02 1:55P]

What is "mid-evil"? Does that mean halfway bad? :confused:

Guys you are missing the point, this is a democracy in the USA, people vote and choose what they want. Some communities have higher taxes some lower, it is their choice. Some smaller rural communities sued the state about fair funding a few years back and won, but Tennessee as a state is near the bottom when it comes to funding education. I think we are 45 or something like that. All I am saying is give people a real choice, why fund schools with tax dollars that cling to an the culture of mediocracy. True public schools have to educate everyone, but if you had school vouchers and freed up that money....someone out there will build a better mouse trap and get the job done better for cheaper. Competion is what it is all about. Give people a choice and opportunity is all I am saying....these kids are our future. we should all want the best for them.

There is no data or examples to support your theory. Chris Whittle has started "private" management of public schools, and the jury is still out on how that is going.

You're mixing the issues. Why people should have vouchers is different from having private vs. public schools.

The private schools who do better, and the only test appears to be test scores, are the schools who limit entrance by "testing."

You cannot provide an example of a mass-education system that works by simply choosing other schools. The issue is more complicated, and the schools who will do better will be the ones who limit enrollment through testing.

Have a private school with no academic entrance testing and tell me how you will improve that school? Create a private school which must enroll everyone within a "zone." Think you or anyone can do better? I doubt it...

Most of the people who want to create a voucher system or send their kids to a private school have actually given up on the rest of the kids who must attend public schools.

One last time: if you don't limit enrollment by testing, the overall grades will not change. Private schools appear to be better educational institutions because they limit who can attend the school. Let MBA try educating the lowest testing students in Nashville and see what happens.

Posted by KCHSCoach:

Guys you are missing the point, this is a democracy in the USA, people vote and choose what they want. Some communities have higher taxes some lower, it is their choice. Some smaller rural communities sued the state about fair funding a few years back and won, but Tennessee as a state is near the bottom when it comes to funding education. I think we are 45 or something like that. All I am saying is give people a real choice, why fund schools with tax dollars that cling to an the culture of mediocracy. True public schools have to educate everyone, but if you had school vouchers and freed up that money....someone out there will build a better mouse trap and get the job done better for cheaper. Competion is what it is all about. Give people a choice and opportunity is all I am saying....these kids are our future. we should all want the best for them.

I think would do a better job educating them, because of class limit and the structured enviroment. I attended school there for 2 years and it was the toughest thing i went through until i got to college. The teachers are better as a whole and provide a nuturing enviroment. Now to say they would be able to teach the same classes is a good point they would probably not be teaching people struggling to grasp the english language LAtin in the 8th grade like they do.

It simply a better environment to learn in where education is the focal point day in and day out. It still doesnt answer the question how do we rank 48th in public education? Are there no challenged students in other states? Are we fullfilling the edcational needs of students in TN?

I think we all know the answers to these questions but noone ever wants to address them.

To answer your question yes they would do a better job educating those students.

[Edited by Chakra20 on 10-8-02 7:16P]

In theory, I believe MBA might do a better job, but the reality is that it will never happen. Limiting the class size is one thing, quality of teaching is another.

Want to seriously improve education? Start as early and comprehensively as possible -- long before high school.

Posted by Chakra20:

I think would do a better job educating them, because of class limit and the structured enviroment. I attended school there for 2 years and it was the toughest thing i went through until i got to college. The teachers are better as a whole and provide a nuturing enviroment. Now to say they would be able to teach the same classes is a good point they would probably not be teaching people struggling to grasp the english language LAtin in the 8th grade like they do.

It simply a better environment to learn in where education is the focal point day in and day out. It still doesnt answer the question how do we rank 48th in public education? Are there no challenged students in other states? Are we fullfilling the edcational needs of students in TN?

I think we all know the answers to these questions but noone ever wants to address them.

To answer your question yes they would do a better job educating those students.

[Edited by Chakra20 on 10-8-02 7:16P]

[Edited by StanTrott on 10-8-02 8:57P]