6A State Championship: Maryville v. Smyrna

MHSRebels

Well Alcoa rolls again, great job guys. Now how can you compare Smyrna to Alcoa? If yall can give similarities and differences that would be great.

Well I'm not a Smyrna fan except in this years playoffs, but I believe the biggest difference would be the ooz players that play for Alcoa. That and classification.

Before anyone starts, I'm not saying their doing anything wrong, I'm just saying that maybe they need to be in with the schools that recruit. They still might dominate them, but I think the road would be more challenging for them.

Well Alcoa rolls again, great job guys. Now how can you compare Smyrna to Alcoa? If yall can give similarities and differences that would be great.

They seem fairly similar really. Smyrna may throw the ball a little more but, really Alcoa never had to throw the ball much so they may throw more if they had to throw more than once without scoring. Alcoa runs a wildcat package some. Smyrna has yet to do that. Running backs are a bit different. Alcoas are big and powerful-Smyrnas are smaller and quicker but still have some power especially Kece Fleming. Not sure if Alcoas rush D is as good Smyrnas and I don't think they are quite as fast on the edge but its very hard to tell on TV really. I noticed Alcoa struggled a bit with some pass coverage-Smyrna also has struggled at times with it but have also been good at times. If you take away a few bad mistakes then GP would have had maybe one or two more scores. Would still not be a game though. All in all there not a whole lot different I don't think but, in a non competitive game its really hard to judge. Not taking a crack at Goodpasture but they seemed about like Siegel from our area. That would be a close game I think.

Edited by prince0290

I will add this too. If Maryville played Alcoa to the end then I know what to expect coming in tomorrow. Were going to have us a war (not that it was in question). Thats a very good football team I watched play today. I do think Smyrna could play with them though so it seems tomorrow is going to be an even match. Probably won't be back on here till after the game when I give congrats to both teams so I will predict 28-24 SHS but could be the other way around. Good luck to both teams tomorrow and hope to see a good injury free football game. Last but not least Go Bulldogs!

Thank you. I knew there had to be a reason.

I have seen two box scores for the EHS-SHS game. Both show SHS with 3 turnovers and EHS with 1 turnover. EHS scooped up a SHS fumble for a TD, but they also fumbled their 1 turnover away in SHS's end zone. I'd call those turnovers a wash, but wash or not, unless the box score is wrong, it was only a +2 TO margin for EHS. EHS also recovered a pooch kick that SHS never touched - technically not a TO, but it had the same effect.

EHS also had a back run for 200 yards. That may have contributed to the score as well.

A positive TO margin contributed to EHS's win. Better execution and being more opportunistic were the clinchers, however.

But how do they compare to Alcoa after the way Alcoa played today.

Nice to have a new Maryville fan on here RangerVol , but I gotta tell you , let's quit worrying about Alcoa , they have nothing to do with the game tommorow ... plus most Maryville fans prefer to let our young men do the talking on the field . Talking smack before the game just fires up the other team that much more , plus it's always a nice thing to show some Class ... believe me , Coach Gaylor , and Coach Quarles would prefer anyone with any ties to Maryville to always represent their School with Class .

I have seen two box scores for the EHS-SHS game. Both show SHS with 3 turnovers and EHS with 1 turnover. EHS scooped up a SHS fumble for a TD, but they also fumbled their 1 turnover away in SHS's end zone. I'd call those turnovers a wash, but wash or not, unless the box score is wrong, it was only a +2 TO margin for EHS. EHS also recovered a pooch kick that SHS never touched - technically not a TO, but it had the same effect.

EHS also had a back run for 200 yards. That may have contributed to the score as well.

A positive TO margin contributed to EHS's win. Better execution and being more opportunistic were the clinchers, however.

I just wasn't as impressed with the D2-AA teams as I usually am last night. Down year?

Nice to have a new Maryville fan on here RangerVol , but I gotta tell you , let's quit worrying about Alcoa , they have nothing to do with the game tommorow ... plus most Maryville fans prefer to let our young men do the talking on the field . Talking smack before the game just fires up the other team that much more , plus it's always a nice thing to show some Class ... believe me , Coach Gaylor , and Coach Quarles would prefer anyone with any ties to Maryville to always represent their School with Class .

Well the reason I keep askin is because Alcoa was the almost the biggest and fastest team we played. Also Im not trying to talk smack. Im just trying to do research on the positives and negatives of Smyrna. Its really hard to compare each team when Ive nvr seen smyrna play. So im not trying to be classless. Just trying to get the facts.

Well the reason I keep askin is because Alcoa was the almost the biggest and fastest team we played. Also Im not trying to talk smack. Im just trying to do research on the positives and negatives of Smyrna. Its really hard to compare each team when Ive nvr seen smyrna play. So im not trying to be classless. Just trying to get the facts.

Sorry for preaching then RangerVol , please accept my apology , and I hope you become a new regular Maryville poster . Have you checked out some youtube videos on Smyrna yet ? I've watched several , and they do have great team speed , and the QB & Bryson will be tough to stop on offense . Maryville needs to limit mistakes and turnovers and keep flying to the ball on Defense & contine to Execute the Offense as well as they have since the " Pep Talk " after the first Farragut game . Go Rebels !!