Multiplier Question

bulldawgs#1

Can't speak for other schools, but at CAK, the answer is "no" there is no work/study plan. Everyone pays their $8000 a year if you're playing sports.

APB and BC---you know everyone at CAK respects your coach, fans, and players. It is a fair question, not because anyone hates you but simply because it is a fair question---Why should CAK (or like school) have a multiplier and Alcoa (or any open zone) not? You have had kids from Knox Co before, just not this year. Don't get all hot and bothered just curious as to the logic. Thanks

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on input so far it appears there is either a distinction which none of us are aware of, or the TSSAA is being favorable to open zone schools systems or unfair to private schools.

The discussion is being clouded by irrelevant material. It doesn't matter if you claim you would've won a gold ball without kids that were outside your school zones. You may think it's not a contributing factor but the TSSAA does, enough of one to multiply enrollments by 1.8. Either private schools or closed zone and private schools have legitimate beef with the TSSAA over the use of the multiplier it seems.

Edited by bulldawgs#1

Knox County?

ZERO!!!!!!! Guys even with a multiplier we are one of the smallest schools in 3a. I am the parent of a tution student who happens to play football and believe me it is more about the school itself than football. Most of the tution students at Alcoa are from Blount County. If you know anything about school systems here you know that both county high schools are over crowded and are in need of a lot of well to simply put it alot of things. Sorry Blount County School system but thats a fact. Bulldog fan #2 now that you know the situation here maybe you can understand why some folks like myself have decided to move our kids out of the county. :flower:

ZERO!!!!!!! Guys even with a multiplier we are one of the smallest schools in 3a. I am the parent of a tution student who happens to play football and believe me it is more about the school itself than football. Most of the tution students at Alcoa are from Blount County. If you know anything about school systems here you know that both county high schools are over crowded and are in need of a lot of well to simply put it alot of things. Sorry Blount County School system but thats a fact. Bulldog fan #2 now that you know the situation here maybe you can understand why some folks like myself have decided to move our kids out of the county. :flower:

Alcoa played AA ball for years there is no telling what the multiplier would have to b to get them to 4a. In some school systems, due to no child left behind, students at a targeted school can transfer to a deemed proficient school within that same district. In a sense this is a kind of open zone. I would bet that a good academic school like signal mountain has benefited from this as much as any in the state by getting students into their programs that are not zone for their school.

Generally, I try to stay away from this topic, however because of some of the replies, I felt I needed to throw my 2 Abe's in the mix.

First off....Milan's "open" zone.

Before the 2004-2005 school year, all Gibson County schools (Milan, Bradford, Trenton, Gibson Co, Humboldt) were open zones. I myself was a 'tuition' student. I lived in the Bradford district, but attended Milan schools because of a A.) my parents worked in Milan, but mainly because B.) my brother is handicap and the "Special Ed" classroom at Bradford at that time was literally two partition walls in the back corner of a Kindergarten classroom with gym mats on the floor for "therapy". This did not satisfy my parents, nor my brothers needs, so we attended Milan. Because my brother had been enrolled in MSSD in 1989 when he was 2 (into the special education program), he was "grandfathered in" and allowed to continue through the Milan program until he graduated in 2008.

All CURRENT students enrolled in MSSD before the 2004-2005 school year were considered "grandfathered" in, with their siblings having the option to enroll as well. This doesn't mean that Milan is an "OPEN" zone. If you were to move to Gibson Co. right now, you would HAVE to attend the school in which your house is zoned.

The only exceptions to this rule are the children of teachers, not staff....TEACHERS, and a case where a child is moving from a district where his race is the majority, to a school where his race is a minorty. An example of this would be an African American student from the Humboldt district choosing to attend Milan, or a Caucasian student choosing to attend Humboldt. However, given as much history and pride all around Gibson Co. I can assure you this doesn't happen very often!

No where in Milan's policy does it say that ANY child in the area can attend Milan, unlike Alcoa for instance.

Perfect example would be from a few years ago when a family was building a house in the Milan area, moving from Jackson. It wasn't to be finished until late fall, but they wanted to move the kids to Milan in advance so they could get involved in sports. So they rented a house in Milan, paid electric bills and water. But they didn't live in the house. When TSSAA found out about this, Milan was made to forfeit their first 5 wins of the season. This should be example enough for anyone that Milan does NOT have open zones.

Next, on the the multiplier question.

Just a few stats to throw out there....Because I did my homework like APB asked....

Students:

M: 2085 / A: 1632

Economically Disadvantaged Student:

M: 1202 @ 56.8% / A: 777 @ 49.7%

Title 1 students: (these are students that are considered to be living in poverty by national standards)

M: 848 @ 39.1% / A: 44 @ 2.6%

Expenditures:

State, both $8,518 per pupil

System, M: $7,621 / A: $10,168

That's my homework, now for my questions.

When Milan has over half it's students economically disadvantaged, and an alarming 39% of it's students living in poverty, can it be fair for those kids to be ranked in the same classifications as kids who has the funds to pay $98,800(Goodpasture) and $104,000(CAK) for a K-12 educations? That means that there is OBVIOUSLY more funding going into their athletics, wether it be at the high school level, or probably in most cases teams at a much younger age. (I suspect, that if a family has the funds to pay for private schooling, they probably also have funds for private lessons or coaches when they are younger)

I'm not complaining, because what that means is Milan has TRUE talent! Despite all the odds against us we are still at the top of the State year after year. But maybe now some of y'all can get a visual of what Milan builds from when we say "we take whatever gets off the big yellow bus."

#1 - with a multiplier Alcoa would be in 4A

#2 - I agree with your assesment of the 4 county schools. If I resided in the area my child would attend Maryville or Alcoa. That, we do agree on.

Alcoa played AA ball for years there is no telling what the multiplier would have to b to get them to 4a. In some school systems, due to no child left behind, students at a targeted school can transfer to a deemed proficient school within that same district. In a sense this is a kind of open zone. I would bet that a good academic school like signal mountain has benefited from this as much as any in the state by getting students into their programs that are not zone for their school.

Maplewood falls into this opportunity. Look back at the success they have in the last few years. It would appear they used the ruling to move other student athletes into their school instead of them leaving. Think of the power house they could become. All of Nashville can transfer in with no multiplier. But the thing is, all of these schools are playing within the rules they have been handed. If you don’t like it you need contact the TSSAA.

Knox County?

Zero again!

You can tell when someone does not have a clue or does not know the area very well when they implies "Alcoa gets players from the big city on Knoxville"......FUNNY!

The best players come from Blount Co.! Where the Maryville and Alcoa youth programs develop them from the start! Age 5 and up. The best feeder systems in the state! :thumb:

So, Back to the Milan getting the best players from ALL of Gibson County. I still see that as an advantage. You say there are others schools, but I never hear of any of them being very good? In Blount Co. there are 3 6A schools and 3A Alcoa. With Maryville H.S.being just 5 minutes away from Alcoa H.S.........I know for fact that Alcoa does not get ALL the best players like Milan does. The proof is in Maryville's 2010 state championship! Does Milan have a championship program 5 minutes away? I bet not! With Milan being able to get transfers from the entire Co. and being open zone, you should be the last ones whinning! :thumb:

#1 - with a multiplier Alcoa would be in 4A

#2 - I agree with your assesment of the 4 county schools. If I resided in the area my child would attend Maryville or Alcoa. That, we do agree on.

#1 thats fine......but Milan would be 5A!

#2 Yes, agree. But I still can not believe MILAN of ALL schools would whine about Alcoa's success in football. Milan gets ALL the great football transfers in trade, ALL the best girls BB go to GC.........quite a racket over there! :ph34r: