Multiplier Question

bulldawgs#1

I am going to wait for a couple of more people to join in on this, now that the season is over (they know who they are) and we will dive head first into this. The first thing you need to do Mr. Robin is find out just how many open zone school districts there are in Tennessee and how many State championships they have won in ALL sports.

That is your homework assignment for the next two days. come back when you have that info.

You hit the nail on the head APB when you said ALL SPORTS. If Alcoa was racking up bowling state championships no one would care. Is the system fair? who knows, who cares??? I'll go to the softball or baseball thread in May and see how many of your west TN losers are complaining about open zones.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's be reasonable. TSSAA is going to put a multiplier on "open zoned schools". It might take 2-3 more years. Alcoa is the primary reason for this due to their effectiveness is using this gap in the rule books. If you look at the TSSAA over the last 2 decades they have always moved to expand and close gaps. Remember the 3 divisions to 5, then from 5 to 7, then from 7 to 8. At this point there are more kids claiming state champions in one year than in 3 years in the 3 divisions years. All in the name of "fairness."

The problem with Alcoa is not that they keep winning it is the way in which they are doing it that has caused the issue. They are clearly the best team in the state, but at a 3A level the TSSAA is going to level this field out. To their credit they have used the rules fully to their advantage, however putting 96 points on teams in a game and with 7 consecutive state titles and with the gap continuing the grow the TSSAA is going to put new rules in place and cut their legs out.

Don't be sad "AlcoasPaintedBridg" you have replaced Brentwood Academy has the most hated school in the state. Tough luck finding any out of regions games and I hope you can pass the hat for gas money because after this contract year I have heard that Rakin has lost the few friends he did have and no one is scheduling you all. Good luck playing NC, GA and KY teams and I hope gas comes down.

:D :D :D :D

Both a red herring and nonfactual.

So, what's your real interest there BD1 would you have ask the ? If Milan had won Gold? I bet Not!

So, what's your solution since you ask the ?....Want a mult added to Milan and have to play in 4A or remove the mult from private like Goodpasture or CAK that had great success in 3A? Private teams that did/would beat Milan!

Edited by BCsportsfan

It seems obvious that an open zoned school near a larger population i.e. Memphis, Nashville or Knoxville would have an even larger advantage. Which of the MSSD exceptions do you have an issue with APB? Be specific. Why do you need to wait for a few others to join in before we can "dive head first into this?" Milan's district lines are defined by the city limits. If a multiplier were implemented and Milan needed to adjust policy, (don't see anything that would lead me to believe this would be done as it's pretty black and white as it is) I'm sure we would have no issue doing so. I didn't mention any names of any schools. Why so quick to bark APB?

Also, why would Red Robin need to research the correlation between open zone schools and the number of championships those schools have won? The TSSAA acknowledged the advantage of schools who had the ability to accept kids from any school district in the state when it implemented the multiplier. (Given that the reason for the TSSAA multiplying enrollments for private schools was because of the ability of those schools to accept students from any school district in the state-my original plier.question.)

I'm posting this again because I don't think APB BCsportsfan or smokinnote read this. Or, and probably more likely they read it and chose not to acknowledge it. Thus far it seems I have been right in my assumption. If I have been, either private schools or closed zone schools have reason to take issue with the multiplier.

Also, a while back I talked to a Guy that was related to Milan's Asst. Prin. Jones. He said all the good football players transfer from Gibson CO to Milan becauce the program is better. So, how will GC ever have a good program and keep good players if this continues?

If that were the case GC would never have a successful program would they. I hope no one tries to convince me that students attend Alcoa for academic purposes...

Alcoa gets some players from the county area. Knoxville is in another county 30 min away. Plus, Blount Co has three other schools. Milan has a BIG advantage, they pull all the good players from All Gibson CO. Where Alcoa has another championship school only 5 minutes away called Maryville. I bet Milan gets to pick from more of a population than Alcoa!

Alcoa gets some players from the county area. Knoxville is in another county 30 min away. Plus, Blount Co has three other schools. Milan has a BIG advantage, they pull all the good players from All Gibson CO. Where Alcoa has another championship school only 5 minutes away called Maryville. I bet Milan gets to pick from more of a population than Alcoa!

Man, even you don't really beleive that statement!!! Gibson Co. has 6 high schools in a county of 48,000 people. Alcoa is 1 of 4 high schools in a county of over 105,000 people. Plus you have a major metro right next door with a pop. of over 423,000. Now you infer that you don't draw kids from Knox county but you know you do. Heck I remember you guys getting a stud all the way from Jefferson Co. years ago. Don't think the yellow bus picked him up though. :roflol: You just trying to play good defense by playing agressive offense. I have seen both situations and it's not close. That doesn't mean it is illegal!! It's just not apples vs. apples. That's ok though, it is what it is and our goal in 2011 will be the same it is every year. Win the State Championship!!!

Man, even you don't really beleive that statement!!! Gibson Co. has 6 high schools in a county of 48,000 people. Alcoa is 1 of 4 high schools in a county of over 105,000 people. Plus you have a major metro right next door with a pop. of over 423,000. Now you infer that you don't draw kids from Knox county but you know you do. Heck I remember you guys getting a stud all the way from Jefferson Co. years ago. Don't think the yellow bus picked him up though. :roflol: You just trying to play good defense by playing agressive offense. I have seen both situations and it's not close. That doesn't mean it is illegal!! It's just not apples vs. apples. That's ok though, it is what it is and our goal in 2011 will be the same it is every year. Win the State Championship!!!

Alcoa has Zero players from K-town!

This is the same question that I raised on another thread. I think it is an excellent question - if a DI can admit anyone who is willing to pay $500 per year, regardless of where they reside, it seems to me that they have an unfair advantage over other DI public schools, which are limited to zoned students. They also clearly have an advantage over DI privates, which are faced with a large multiplier. I think this advantage is pretty clear in football; look at some of the open zoned DI schools that regularly win championships. The following is from the Alcoa web site:

ADMISSION OF NON-RESIDENT STUDENTS (TUITION STUDENTS)

Students residing outside the boundaries of the school system may apply to attend Alcoa High School. The director of schools and principal must approve admission. Permission for tuition students to attend the Alcoa City Schools will be granted on an annual basis. The tuition fee required of all students residing outside the boundaries for the 2010-2011 school year will be $500.00. (Note: Tuition amount subject to change, pending school board approval.) Tuition fees are due and payable on the first day of each trimester.

DII schools do offer financial aid to athletes (based solely on financial need), but that aid is never 100% and all DII students pay far more than the $500 fee that Alcoa charges. DI privates, on the other hand, cannot offer any financial aid to athletes; thus all athletes at DI private schools must pay full tuition. The actual cost to educate a student at an open zoned DI school is far more than $500, the difference being made up by the local taxpayers. In my mind, application of the same multiplier which pertains to DI Privates would not even the playing field, since the "non-zoned students" are paying a small fraction of the actual costs to educate them. Rather, these open-zoned DIs should be grouped with the DII schools.

I am very interested to hear any explanation for the TSSAA having created what appears to me to be a clearly unfair situation. I may be totally wrong about this, but if so, please let me know what I am missing. Name-calling and irrelevant rants are not considered as topical discussion. Thanks!

Am I wrong in thinking that DI private school atheletes can receive money from work programs at the school. These programs include things like running the clock at middle school games, taking up money at the gate, etc. If I am wrong in this please let me know.