Signal Mountain 4A 2011-2012

Dodge

No whining here. Signal would have placed in both the district and playoff classification of the team here if they'd not ducked Alcoa. If there was whining involved I'd support such a move to avoid them as much as possible and I even thought steps could have taken to get them into AA already.

Do you think every Class AA/playoff 3A team (other than Alcoa) should move up, following the lead of the 2A state champ? Do I need a stupid photoshopped illustration to help explain the question?

If you get technical about it, there is only (1) 4A team in the district Signal is going in to (Notre Dame). Bledsoe, Sequatchie, Grundy and CCS are all in 3A. Signal has already beaten Sequatchie and CCS. They will make the playoffs but that's when the problems start. They could go undefeated in the district with 1 or 2 losses and still end up playing really tough teams in the second round (Red Bank, Fulton, Gibbs, etc). It would be hard to see a deep playoff run by next years team unless Bill Price comes up with some new studs for next season... Which leads me to my next point?

Well, we are just going to reload.

How exactly do you "reload" in high school? It's not like you have scholarships to give out... Usually teams become perennial winners through middle school programs and getting younger kids (9-10 graders) playing time (JV or even some Varsity action). Ya'll do seem to get some pretty athletic, football playing transfers though... :D

If you get technical about it, there is only (1) 4A team in the district Signal is going in to (Notre Dame). Bledsoe, Sequatchie, Grundy and CCS are all in 3A. Signal has already beaten Sequatchie and CCS. They will make the playoffs but that's when the problems start. They could go undefeated in the district with 1 or 2 losses and still end up playing really tough teams in the second round (Red Bank, Fulton, Gibbs, etc). It would be hard to see a deep playoff run by next years team unless Bill Price comes up with some new studs for next season... Which leads me to my next point?

How exactly do you "reload" in high school? It's not like you have scholarships to give out... Usually teams become perennial winners through middle school programs and getting younger kids (9-10 graders) playing time (JV or even some Varsity action). Ya'll do seem to get some pretty athletic, football playing transfers though... :D

I'm guessin' you ain't seen our Middle School team :thumb: ,

SMMHS_001-1.jpg

or hear'd about the Signal Mountain Tackle Football League.:thumb:

dsc_0075copy.jpgdresslerfield-1.jpg

Had the honor or meetin' some of you Greene Devils at the the Troll's roost in CookeVegas. Watched as much of the game as I could stand, then headed back to the roost for some cold two-carbon fragments. Glad you fellers made it out alive.

Hope my Eagles is good enough to meet you fellers on the field next year.:thumb:

I watched the last of the SM game and they are good, and looks like you all have some returning player as does the Devils. We should both have a good year in 2011.

No whining here. Signal would have placed in both the district and playoff classification of the team here if they'd not ducked Alcoa. If there was whining involved I'd support such a move to avoid them as much as possible and I even thought steps could have taken to get them into AA already.

Do you think every Class AA/playoff 3A team (other than Alcoa) should move up, following the lead of the 2A state champ? Do I need a stupid photoshopped illustration to help explain the question?

Whining is exactly what you are doing. You whined this year when our enrollment jumped enough for us to be a 3A school but we were still playing in 2A. Of course there wasn't anything we could do since thats where we were and the TSSAA wasn't going to evaluate enrollment again until now. But wait what was your argument? Oh, wasn't it we should have known 3 years ago what our enrollment was going to be and played in that classification. Now lets see your back on here whining because we went ahead and moved to 4A because our enrollment might put us there in two years. Funny that no matter what we do you find a reason to whine about it.

Since it's the season of giving I'll give you some advice. Get a life and quit whining about what SM is doing and focus on your team. :flower:

Just for the record since we are just now moving to the 3A/4A thread, half(5)of the teams we played in regular season this year were in a higher classification, yours being one of them. And correct me if I'm wrong but we mercy ruled every one of them. :thumb:

Yes, you "played up" and beat a 3A Sequatchie school with 30 more students, a 4A Hixson team with only about 100 more students, and a second-year East Hamilton team which probably had very few seniors if any, I never saw their roster. The paper stood up for Signal on the scheduling yet ignored facts like those, that there was not much enrollment difference. Stuff like that and other fluff articles add to the resentment even when's it out of Signal's hands. Another example was the sports editor claiming the game at South Pittsburg was Signal's first regular season road test since becoming varsity, completely ignoring the result at Sequatchie in 09. I emailed him and politely mentioned the score and game details and never even got a response. True, not Signal's fault they got such glowing coverage.

Signal could have moved up prior to the second year as you could have easily figured your number would be approaching 500 (one of the largest few Class A teams even by then).

I agree, it's not Signal's fault that the TSSAA can't do a better job of classifying schools.

If everyone stuck to their own teams on here there wouldn't be many posts or topics.

If any of you would admit you're jumping 3A playoffs because of a likely loss to Alcoa (that's even if you were to get past Polk, CAK, Tyner, etc in a likely Quad 2) it would be better than the weak story of likely playing 4A before much longer anyway. Again, that's opposite of remaining A/2A and cleaning up, not just in football but in volleyball and possibly other sports before the school year is over.

Edited by Indian

Yes, you "played up" and beat a 3A Sequatchie school with 30 more students, a 4A Hixson team with only about 100 more students, and a second-year East Hamilton team which probably had very few seniors if any, I never saw their roster. The paper stood up for Signal on the scheduling yet ignored facts like those, that there was not much enrollment difference. Stuff like that and other fluff articles add to the resentment even when's it out of Signal's hands.

Signal could have moved up prior to the second year as you could have easily figured your number would be approaching 500 (one of the largest few Class A teams even by then).

I agree, it's not Signal's fault that the TSSAA can't do a better job of classifying schools.

If everyone stuck to their own teams on here there wouldn't be many posts or topics.

If any of you would admit you're jumping 3A playoffs because of a likely loss to Alcoa (that's even if you were to get past Polk, CAK, Tyner, etc in a likely Quad 2) it would be better than the weak story of likely playing 4A before much longer anyway. Again, that's opposite of remaining A/2A and cleaning up, not just in football but in volleyball and possibly other sports before the school year is over.

You can't win Indian, if SM would step back and look they would be able to see where the animosity toward them stems from. I don't think Sm was trying to avoid Alcoa per-say, I think it was 3A all together. Sm will not be State Champs next year unless.................

I can't say I blame signal mt. for playing up in 4A. With them being in Chatt there is no telling where they could get sent in the playoffs. If it was quad 3 this year in 3A then they could have been ok and prob played GP in the 3rd round and prob beat them, but if they had got sent to quad 2 then it would have been a short post season for them. I mean they were good but I don't think they could have beat Alcoa, CAK, Polk, Louden, and Tyner. Howard would have been a close game as well as kingston. They would have blew out sweetwater. So 2nd round is as far as they would have gotten. This is only my opinion and I am only judging this on seeing them in person.

You can't win Indian, if SM would step back and look they would be able to see where the animosity toward them stems from. I don't think Sm was trying to avoid Alcoa per-say, I think it was 3A all together. Sm will not be State Champs next year unless.................

If anyone is wanting to cry about the SM, just think if Baylor, McCallie, Norte Dame, GPS, CCS, and Boyd didn't pull athletes off of this ole Mtn. (Boyd doesn't pull to many if any from the mtn.) But we are slowly getting some of "our" mtn boys back from the private schools. Boy I wish Matthew Oellerich would come back to us, but I understand. He will be Huesmans replacement at Baylor. Troll you see this?

And excuse me, Matthew Oellerich has always played at Baylor, I commented like he played with us. What I meant, It sure would be great to have that kid. (who lives on Signal Mtn.) He is going to be a even better player next year. (and he also comes from a GREAT family):thumb:

Edited by realmenwearred

Yes, you "played up" and beat a 3A Sequatchie school with 30 more students, a 4A Hixson team with only about 100 more students, and a second-year East Hamilton team which probably had very few seniors if any, I never saw their roster. The paper stood up for Signal on the scheduling yet ignored facts like those, that there was not much enrollment difference. Stuff like that and other fluff articles add to the resentment even when's it out of Signal's hands. Another example was the sports editor claiming the game at South Pittsburg was Signal's first regular season road test since becoming varsity, completely ignoring the result at Sequatchie in 09. I emailed him and politely mentioned the score and game details and never even got a response. True, not Signal's fault they got such glowing coverage.

INDIAN:

I do agree that the 2009 Seq. vs SMHS game was a great game. (ya'll almost got us!) The Times Free Press are a bunch of retards, thats why I don't waste my money on it. And I really think this is a great site to talk HS football. We are so lucky to have so much good HS football in the area. Everyone talks about South Pitts Beene stadium and Trousdale County's creek bank. I agree these are cool places to go play football with great atmosphere! But I love coming to the Valley and playing at one of the best stadiums in the area. I love the Indians stadium. Its a great place to play, good folks, and I hope that eventually we can get our stadium up to that level. I venture off the the northern side of the Mtn. to watch the Indians play if we are off and yall are home. So just remember that ya'll still have some Mtn fans (when we are off or not playing ya!) Hope the Indians have a great season and I am looking forward to coming back to the valley to watch football in one of my favorite places. (and hey, as far as ducking Alcoa, did you goto Cookeville and watch Alcoa University play?)

Disclaimer to the Alcoa fans: That may be one of the finest football programs I have ever watched, and I was watching the coaching staff on the sidelines with the team as it left the field as much as the game. Alcoa fans, If ya'll ever change what is going on at that HS football program, you should be shot! They are awesome!