football recruiting

c'mon snoball, there's not a school system in this state that doesn't have some sort of out of zone policy for "special circumstances". That's why TSSAA does not levy a multiplier on public schools with open enrollment. Kids who attend ooz for safety or special circumstances approved by local administrations would be disqualified from sports if an out of zone policy was enacted. Now thats not to say the policy isn't used to make sure an athlete with "special circumstances" gets in a school that suits his "special needs", but in order to protect the eligibility of students with legitimate needs, the TSSAA eligibility rules are reviewed on a case by case basis. As long as a kid meets the eligibility rules, i.e. sits out a season as required, TSSAA cannot arbitrarily dissmiss a school system administrators decision to allow ooz enrollment of a student and rule them ineligible. The rules have to apply equally or the resulting lawsuits filed on behalf of student-athletes would bankrupt them. Is it a loophole? Yes and just like those in the tax code, it allows the rich to get richer...but without it, a large number of kids who must transfer schools for safety reasons or other special needs would be prevented from participating in school sports.

the point i'm making is, it's an advantage that others don't have. no it's not as big of an advantage as recruiting, but an advantage none-the-less. it's a middle ground, like you said a loophole to be exploited, i just wish trousdale did it. icon_lol.gif

Edited by snoball5278
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Student effort does play a major role. However, when your school system is repeatedly near the bottom of testing scores it is indicative of the system. Do a little research about test scores in Blount County and you will see the reason some parents take their kids to Maryville or Alcoa.

Lastly, "making it" is dependent upon what you define as successful. One of my key elements of success is providing my children the opportunity to get a better education than I did. Why send your child to a school that will provide an education that will automatically place them behind their peers upon entering college? Of course, if college is not in your childs future, then the County systems education should be sufficent as they have good vocational studies.

I have seen here at Jeff County several players that would have started at Maryville and/or Alcoa,They would have recieved A great education/Great coaching/Winning alot or most of their games!!Being seen by alot more recruiters! Playing on television !! I wonder if their parents arnt alittle upset with themselves for not moving over to One those schools. RECRUIT at Acoa/Maryville ??? WHY would they have to ?? When your the BEST you will ATTRACT TALENT !!!

Edited by dvp4life