Livingston Academy at Upperman?

N2DEEP

I agree that there are a few negative things that have happened but our real problem--if you want to call it that--is our talent is down a bit. When you lose 3 players in the last 2 years who got college scholarships you must realize we are not going to be as good. When you have 3 players of that caliber on the same team, they are going to set the bar pretty high. That team spoiled us and I doubt we will ever see a team like that again no matter who the coach is!

I would agree with some things a disagree with others..Did they set the bar high? Definitely. Could they have done it again or maybe even been better? Absolutely. Will they now? No way. LA's program has been sabotaged by a school board that does not care about athletics other then them wanting to control the sports programs, AND by a bunch of power hungry old guys that need a BIG BOOT in a certain part of their body if ya know what I mean? Anyone notice that those college players that you speak of were coached by who when they were little? Coach Melton. Who at 5/6th grade? Coach Melton. Who in middle school? Coach Melton. Who in high school? Coach Melton. AND who helped them get scholarships....you guessed it Coach Melton. I don't know for sure who the third player you are talking about is but I know for sure that TJ Smith and Chase Dunn were all coached by Melton all the way up. The talent was not down before this year started and it is not down now. The kids will do what the kids can do and get away with..whether it be do little and get away with it or be forced to do a lot. They will live up to the expectations of the leader and Coach Melton expected to win that GOLD BALL every year and every year that they didn't, was a let down. That being said I think the record he had spoke for itself and still does with it being the winningest 5 years ever at LA. Anyone else ever heard of a coach leaving on 5 out of 5 district championships? 3 sub states in a row? and 2 state tournament appearances? Me neither and that would only happen in a place like LA where people have short memories of their mediocre past and what will be their mediocre future...LA struggled to beat single A teams like Pickett County a few years ago and between 02-05 only beat Celina/Clay Co. once and that was playing every year so 1 out of 4 beating a single A team was the norm. And yes it was just that THE NORM. Everyone expected championships out of the girls and get to region in boys was a good year. Anyone that is honest with themselves knows that is the case. Coach Melton's 5 years at LA changed the entire mindset and attitudes of the LA Boys Program and again, like him or not, everyone that looks back at results previous to him knows it is true. The Overton Co. Board of Education is running out of control and the people refuse to vote them out...simple as that. They call the shots in areas where they shouldn't. If you want to coach the team, why pay someone else to do it...let's just let the entire Board and director of schools (can't forget about him) sit on the bench and call the shots..group decision or something. Hate to see a good coach go BUT LA deserves to go back to the way they were...losing in a sub par district and that's where they're headed. Is it also coincidental that in 5 years LA lost 2 district games I believe (DeKalb Co. and Upperman) and in less then half a year they already have one? Hate it for the kids because they have some good kids at LA that I would love to see go on to great things but the people that is behind this and the parents that are happy about it (whether secretly or openly) deserve EVERYTHING they get..a mediocre team..with exceptional athletes that perform to mediocrity and end up falling in the Region tournament to other mediocre teams...That is what's on the way for LA..

I would agree with some things a disagree with others..Did they set the bar high? Definitely. Could they have done it again or maybe even been better? Absolutely. Will they now? No way. LA's program has been sabotaged by a school board that does not care about athletics other then them wanting to control the sports programs, AND by a bunch of power hungry old guys that need a BIG BOOT in a certain part of their body if ya know what I mean? Anyone notice that those college players that you speak of were coached by who when they were little? Coach Melton. Who at 5/6th grade? Coach Melton. Who in middle school? Coach Melton. Who in high school? Coach Melton. AND who helped them get scholarships....you guessed it Coach Melton. I don't know for sure who the third player you are talking about is but I know for sure that TJ Smith and Chase Dunn were all coached by Melton all the way up. The talent was not down before this year started and it is not down now. The kids will do what the kids can do and get away with..whether it be do little and get away with it or be forced to do a lot. They will live up to the expectations of the leader and Coach Melton expected to win that GOLD BALL every year and every year that they didn't, was a let down. That being said I think the record he had spoke for itself and still does with it being the winningest 5 years ever at LA. Anyone else ever heard of a coach leaving on 5 out of 5 district championships? 3 sub states in a row? and 2 state tournament appearances? Me neither and that would only happen in a place like LA where people have short memories of their mediocre past and what will be their mediocre future...LA struggled to beat single A teams like Pickett County a few years ago and between 02-05 only beat Celina/Clay Co. once and that was playing every year so 1 out of 4 beating a single A team was the norm. And yes it was just that THE NORM. Everyone expected championships out of the girls and get to region in boys was a good year. Anyone that is honest with themselves knows that is the case. Coach Melton's 5 years at LA changed the entire mindset and attitudes of the LA Boys Program and again, like him or not, everyone that looks back at results previous to him knows it is true. The Overton Co. Board of Education is running out of control and the people refuse to vote them out...simple as that. They call the shots in areas where they shouldn't. If you want to coach the team, why pay someone else to do it...let's just let the entire Board and director of schools (can't forget about him) sit on the bench and call the shots..group decision or something. Hate to see a good coach go BUT LA deserves to go back to the way they were...losing in a sub par district and that's where they're headed. Is it also coincidental that in 5 years LA lost 2 district games I believe (DeKalb Co. and Upperman) and in less then half a year they already have one? Hate it for the kids because they have some good kids at LA that I would love to see go on to great things but the people that is behind this and the parents that are happy about it (whether secretly or openly) deserve EVERYTHING they get..a mediocre team..with exceptional athletes that perform to mediocrity and end up falling in the Region tournament to other mediocre teams...That is what's on the way for LA..

Brad Jackson was the other I was referring to. I thought he got a scholarship--maybe not? I never said Coach Melton wasn't a good coach. What do you suggest should have happened given this situation that occured? How should the director have handled it?

Sub Par District? Really

Brad Jackson was the other I was referring to. I thought he got a scholarship--maybe not? I never said Coach Melton wasn't a good coach. What do you suggest should have happened given this situation that occured? How should the director have handled it?

Hope you answer these questions Play4Fun. Looking forward to seeing the answers! :popcorneater:

Edited by MountainDewMan

Hope you answer these questions Play4Fun. Looking forward to seeing the answers! :popcorneater:

That is kinda a trick question. Other than the broken radio, there was no situation to be handled. The school board knew that the big loss against Jackson Co. would produce enough negativity in the fan base to do what they have been wanting to do for years. There was nothing more to it than that. Let it go and move on.

That is kinda a trick question. Other than the broken radio, there was no situation to be handled. The school board knew that the big loss against Jackson Co. would produce enough negativity in the fan base to do what they have been wanting to do for years. There was nothing more to it than that. Let it go and move on.

WOW! A thousand dollar radio? It's really comical how some can post under different names and tell THEIR version of a story, then when they're questioned, want to move on. Putting everything else that occured aside, if one of the players had destroyed several hundred dollars worth of equipment while throwing an uncontrolled temper tantrum, would he not have been suspended? If another teacher had done the same, would he/she not have been suspended? The excoach was suspended for cause. He chose to refuse the suspension and quit instead.Some can try to spin it any way they wish, but the facts are; He was suspended for a reason that would or should have gotten any other teacher or player suspended, and he chose to resign rather than accept the suspension. HE QUIT just like he had been quitting on the team! --- I could care less who coaches the boys team at LA as long as they TRY to win and do not emotionally get out of control.

WOW! A thousand dollar radio? It's really comical how some can post under different names and tell THEIR version of a story, then when they're questioned, want to move on. Putting everything else that occured aside, if one of the players had destroyed several hundred dollars worth of equipment while throwing an uncontrolled temper tantrum, would he not have been suspended? If another teacher had done the same, would he/she not have been suspended? The excoach was suspended for cause. He chose to refuse the suspension and quit instead.Some can try to spin it any way they wish, but the facts are; He was suspended for a reason that would or should have gotten any other teacher or player suspended, and he chose to resign rather than accept the suspension. HE QUIT just like he had been quitting on the team! --- I could care less who coaches the boys team at LA as long as they TRY to win and do not emotionally get out of control.

Ya'll can say what you want to about Melton but by God he was a good coach and his teams were tough to beat. There is nothing about him that says quit, i am not a personal friend of his, we don't hang out or anything like that, i've just seen his teams in action and they would run you out of the gym if you were not on your game. He did not quit, he got railroaded and all of us out here that aren't friends with the new coach and his "family" can see it for what it is. LA is not and will never again be the force that he made them! A good coach is worth his weight in gold and he is/was a good one! Upperman proved my theory right. LA has more talent than anyone and McWilliams beat them badly with solid, fundemental coaching. LA's boys want to win just as bad as any of the teams do, so what was the reason they always won? Talent played a part but LA's boys are loaded with talent again this year, no that wasn't it it was the COACH! Rabbit you get on here and call me names all the time which just shows your imatureaty and ignorance, but thats beside the point you have no clue why the boys have been successful if you say that it wasn't because of Richard Melton. He didn't quit, he was forced out by '"LITTLE JOHNNY'S DADDY SO LITTLE JOHNNY COULD BE THE COACH" plain and simple. And LA deserves everything they get from here on out!!! GO BEES!!!

I agree that Coach Melton raised the bar for LA basketball. No doubt about that. Whether you liked how he did it, I guess that is all each person opinion. I think one of the concerns now has to be how well discplined the team will be. I mean are there any penalty for making mistakes with this new coach. One knock on Coach Melton was he was to high tempered when it came to his players messing up. I think there has to be some punishment for making mistakes. I'm not saying if the kid messes up a couple times to take him out but if several mistakes are made it should be addressed. I haven't seen that yet but I didn't see the Florida games so I dont know what he did down there. Miller is good about having practice but is their a penalty if you miss? These are just a few questions I have about discpline. Several games left so these questions should be answered sooner than later. The team needs support no matter the coach, but can Miller maintain what Melton built ??? We shall soon see. Hope the Upperman type games are over.

After reading this post again, it appears to me that you think because Coach Melton was extremely successful that he should have been allowed to do as he pleased. I agree that he was a good coach but coaches need to be held accountable for their actions. From what I hear, he would still be the coach had he accepted the initial punishment. Personally, I wish he had accepted the punishment and continued coaching so all of this turmoil would not be happening but I will not defend his actions.

As for another person saying to let it die, I have a strange feeling this thread was started just to have it reborn.

Actually...just as was said a minute ago, there was nothing to be suspended for..broke a radio..wow..he paid for it. Get over it. What should have been done is the egotistical power hungry director and board of education should have sit on their thumbs like they do on most topics that matter, and not got involved. He was hired to coach basketball and in 5 years no one else done it like he has at LA (in a 5 year time look it up..the stats say it all) and if they wanted to do it themselves they could have not hired him and just had all 10 of those goofballs sit on the bench with the director at the head and the bench could have been the entire front row of the LA bleachers HA HA...They could have even saved having to pay a coach therefore cutting into the budget deficit everyone seems they have...maybe that's a plan for em.

Part 2: Sub Par district? Absolutely in Double A. LA won the region 3 years and how many state tourney wins? 0. Memphis has the stout districts and regions we have the weaker ones. That is not fabricated, that is absolutely fact and everyone that is real with themselves knows it.

As far as letting it die, I agree completely and most likely it will die with the LA program...simple facts..this year they'll be ok..the next year a little less...then a little less...then eventually they will be back like they were..nobody on the boys side and a girls powerhouse...most LA fans that are Coach Melton haters better just hope and PRAY that he does not end up somewhere else in the district and come to LA every year and absolutely wear em out...but then again that would be KARMA kicking someone right in the mouth wouldn't it?

DID I ANSWER ALL THESE QUESTIONS TO YOUR LIKING??

Ya'll can say what you want to about Melton but by God he was a good coach and his teams were tough to beat. There is nothing about him that says quit, i am not a personal friend of his, we don't hang out or anything like that, i've just seen his teams in action and they would run you out of the gym if you were not on your game. He did not quit, he got railroaded and all of us out here that aren't friends with the new coach and his "family" can see it for what it is. LA is not and will never again be the force that he made them! A good coach is worth his weight in gold and he is/was a good one! Upperman proved my theory right. LA has more talent than anyone and McWilliams beat them badly with solid, fundemental coaching. LA's boys want to win just as bad as any of the teams do, so what was the reason they always won? Talent played a part but LA's boys are loaded with talent again this year, no that wasn't it it was the COACH! Rabbit you get on here and call me names all the time which just shows your imatureaty and ignorance, but thats beside the point you have no clue why the boys have been successful if you say that it wasn't because of Richard Melton. He didn't quit, he was forced out by '"LITTLE JOHNNY'S DADDY SO LITTLE JOHNNY COULD BE THE COACH" plain and simple. And LA deserves everything they get from here on out!!! GO BEES!!!

Excellent post. I wouldn't let Rabbit bother you too much. Funny how she accuses anyone who recognizes good coaching of just being related to the excoach.

Edited by Row8FarRight

Actually...just as was said a minute ago, there was nothing to be suspended for..broke a radio..wow..he paid for it. Get over it. What should have been done is the egotistical power hungry director and board of education should have sit on their thumbs like they do on most topics that matter, and not got involved. He was hired to coach basketball and in 5 years no one else done it like he has at LA (in a 5 year time look it up..the stats say it all) and if they wanted to do it themselves they could have not hired him and just had all 10 of those goofballs sit on the bench with the director at the head and the bench could have been the entire front row of the LA bleachers HA HA...They could have even saved having to pay a coach therefore cutting into the budget deficit everyone seems they have...maybe that's a plan for em.

Part 2: Sub Par district? Absolutely in Double A. LA won the region 3 years and how many state tourney wins? 0. Memphis has the stout districts and regions we have the weaker ones. That is not fabricated, that is absolutely fact and everyone that is real with themselves knows it.

As far as letting it die, I agree completely and most likely it will die with the LA program...simple facts..this year they'll be ok..the next year a little less...then a little less...then eventually they will be back like they were..nobody on the boys side and a girls powerhouse...most LA fans that are Coach Melton haters better just hope and PRAY that he does not end up somewhere else in the district and come to LA every year and absolutely wear em out...but then again that would be KARMA kicking someone right in the mouth wouldn't it?

DID I ANSWER ALL THESE QUESTIONS TO YOUR LIKING??

I didn't know the school board and the director hired the ex coach. I thought his uncle did. And anybody that thinks none of these posts were written BY the ex coach and his family are just goofballs. As far as other district teams, there are a lot of powerhouse programs he could go to and come back and kick LA right in the mouth. Yeah right.

Edited by sportster90