District 9-A

CoffeeBreak

Redkuda: how did Eagleville do vs. Spring Hill?

Well let me start with 5 errors but also some less than aggressive play on Eagleville's part. So defensively they left a lot to be desired, in particular throws need to be cleaner and better glove play. SH's pitcher was probably one of the best they'll see all year. He had a nasty tight curve and slider. Offensively Eagles had runners on 3rd twice and 2nd multiple times and couldn't get it done. Final score was 11-1 however Eagleville's Ace only gave up 5 hits on the night and was pulled in the 5th. The reliever walked 2 and then left a hanger that then left the field for a 3 run HR. We get them again tonight so I'm hoping we'll play better defensively. SH did finish 2nd in State last yr in their class and from what I heard at the game they only lost a couple of players from last year's squad.

MTCS is scheduled to play at Gordonsville on Tuesday then FRA at home on Saturday. Going to be an interesting week -- all seniors and sophomores are off on school trips this week. Probably have more than one freshie in the line-up and a few juniors playing positions they don't normally play.

Glad opening week is finally here.

How did MTCS fair in their opener?

Well we played Spring Hill for a second day and looked much better defensively, hitting was a little sluggish but not bad considering their pitcher is a David Lipscomb signee. Word of caution to anyone playing them, their coach (3rd base) will steal your catcher's signs and is not shy about it. He will call out names and numbers, names=fastball, numbers=off speed, he's a former catcher so he's sharp with it but our coach picked up on it and called him out. I know it sounds like I'm making excuses but the plate was round for us, we had a play at 3rd catcher threw down on kid stealing 3rd and our 3rd baseman caught the ball and stood there until the runner ran into the tag and was called safe, we lost 10-2

Well we played Spring Hill for a second day and looked much better defensively, hitting was a little sluggish but not bad considering their pitcher is a David Lipscomb signee. Word of caution to anyone playing them, their coach (3rd base) will steal your catcher's signs and is not shy about it. He will call out names and numbers, names=fastball, numbers=off speed, he's a former catcher so he's sharp with it but our coach picked up on it and called him out. I know it sounds like I'm making excuses but the plate was round for us, we had a play at 3rd catcher threw down on kid stealing 3rd and our 3rd baseman caught the ball and stood there until the runner ran into the tag and was called safe, we lost 10-2

Dude, its called throwing strikes. Your pitchers could not throw strikes. They walked in 4 or 5 runs. The SH pitcher had 4 walks also so i guess the plate was round for them. lol. And your right you are making excuses, just take the defeat in stride. Eagleville has a good single A team and should do well this year. Not sure about your coach giving a free pass too load the bases with one out. Thats what killed Eagleville, put too much pressure on your pitcher that was doing very well agaisnt the SH bats !!!! You also got that play back when your firstbaseman dropped the ball and the umpire called the runner out,towards the end of the game. Stealing signs is also part of the game, if the catcher shows the sign in wide open what do you expect, that boils down to coaching!!! Who in their right mind has 1 finger for fastball and 2 fingers for offspeed in high school anyways, thats little league. Boils down to coaching again!!! Excuses excuses deal with it and go on. Have a great day.

Edited by 40n81

Stealing signs might well be part of Spring Hill's game but not Eagleville's. IMO that shows a lack of character for the head coach as well as his program. If that is truly "part of the game" why did the SH head coach shut his mouth when he was called out on it? I'm sure that was his terminology he used while justifing sign stealing to his team. I would think he would keep on playing his game after being called out on it if this is an acceptable practice. Have you ever wondered why there isn't a box marked off at SH for the base coaches? If there isn't a box marked off the coach can roam anywhere in foul play, notice where the grass is worn off your 3rd base line, real close to the line- enough said. Judging from this I would say we were not the first team this has happened too. You are correct about the walks, hard to defend a walk.

Stealing signs might well be part of Spring Hill's game but not Eagleville's. IMO that shows a lack of character for the head coach as well as his program. If that is truly "part of the game" why did the SH head coach shut his mouth when he was called out on it? I'm sure that was his terminology he used while justifing sign stealing to his team. I would think he would keep on playing his game after being called out on it if this is an acceptable practice. Have you ever wondered why there isn't a box marked off at SH for the base coaches? If there isn't a box marked off the coach can roam anywhere in foul play, notice where the grass is worn off your 3rd base line, real close to the line- enough said. Judging from this I would say we were not the first team this has happened too. You are correct about the walks, hard to defend a walk.

I am sorry to say but there is not a team in highschool, college or mlb that given the chance is not going to steal a sign. This is no church league and you want to talk about lack of character why would your coach tell your catcher to throw the ball in another's ear hole and intentionally hurt a young man! I would say that would cause a serious head injury or possible death. wow that is some real good character. The coach's box never keeps a coach in the area of the box. Watch some games and you will notice.

Edited by 40n81

Dude, its called throwing strikes. Your pitchers could not throw strikes. They walked in 4 or 5 runs. The SH pitcher had 4 walks also so i guess the plate was round for them. lol. And your right you are making excuses, just take the defeat in stride. Eagleville has a good single A team and should do well this year. Not sure about your coach giving a free pass too load the bases with one out. Thats what killed Eagleville, put too much pressure on your pitcher that was doing very well agaisnt the SH bats !!!! You also got that play back when your firstbaseman dropped the ball and the umpire called the runner out,towards the end of the game. Stealing signs is also part of the game, if the catcher shows the sign in wide open what do you expect, that boils down to coaching!!! Who in their right mind has 1 finger for fastball and 2 fingers for offspeed in high school anyways, thats little league. Boils down to coaching again!!! Excuses excuses deal with it and go on. Have a great day.

Dude, our pitchers were pretty consistent on the corner and yeah it was the corner and when you don't get it any decent hitter can wait for ball 3 and look fastball over the plate so that has a lot to do with them hitting well, yes your pitcher had better control but he wasn't getting the corner either thus a round plate. As for our starter your boys didn't do anything with him for two innings until he lost his control and the reason our coach left him in was to try to let him work thru it because it's early in the year, it's not a district game and it can help a pitcher to overcome adversity and learn to regain control and yes I know he didn't that night but trust me he'll be ok, he tied the State Tournament record with 17 K's in our first game in State last year. As for stealing signals it may be a part of the game if that's your game but what's that say about your hitters, can they really do it on their own, how would you know if you need that advantage, maybe that's why they hit as well as they did, if you don't have to guess that makes it a whole lot simpler and honestly it takes away from your hitter's ability to make his own adjustments which can hurt you down the road. On our catcher using one finger two finger signs, get real, trust me that's not what he was doing and maybe your coach should stay off the line and down the line, he's the first to steal our signs. Maybe that's because he's a former catcher. The umps were terrible and you didn't think that honestly they must be cousins of yours, the "makeup" call at first didn't give us the run back the no call at third cost us. That woulda been two outs and the next batter flew out and that runner tagged and scored. Our coaches protest about your batter falling over the plate intentionally is on the ump, it was pretty obvious the hitter did it intentionally unless you're going to say he's not good enough to stay balanced as a good hitter does and our coach questioned the ump because it interferes with the catcher's arm motion and throw so when he said he could do it our coach asked him so my catcher has the right to throw thru the batter and he said yeah so our coach told our catcher to do his job and let the hitter know that he was gonna do that so if your hitter want's to "fall" across the plate that then is on him and our catcher has a job to do and if you don't think your coach would tell his catcher to do the same you're dreaming, he's a hard #### coach, (that's a compliment) that's done a good job with his team and as you said about the stealing signs, that's baseball, our coach just gave notice if your coach wants his boys to play that way our boys are gonna play that way too. Otherwise I think you have a great team as well and your boys showed good character as I think our boys do and I hope y'all have a great season as well as our boys.