Baylor vs. McCallie

WhiskerBisquit88

So ynotme, you asked for me, so here I am. What exactly are you wanting me to say? You want 16 different lineup options, all different by one match or something? You want all my predictions? You want to know how the lineups are going to change? Who's moving where or who's not moving? I'm not the naive little girl that you think I am. You want me to "grace you with my thoughts"? Come Friday night and I'm sure my "thoughts" will grace you just fine.

For everyone else, this guy thinks he's sly by calling me out as a girl (bigger font, bold print), but the funny thing is, it doesn't bother me at all that you all know I'm a girl. What makes it even better is that honestly, I know more wrestling and more about wrestling than any of you old men trying to live vicariously through your sons that get on this message board. The reason I've continued to post on here over the years (as you can see, I joined in 2002, a lot sooner than more than the majority on this board now) because I've always pretty much been the lone "McCallie voice" on here. I figured McCallie should have some say in some of these issues. It began back when my older brother, a senior at the time, was being accused of using steroids. I was a little girl in the 8th grade. I was feisty and passionate and wasn't going to let people say "mean things" about my brother. No one told me to get on this board and post. No one told me to say certain things. No one used me and my username to post what they wanted to say so they could hide behind my name. All these years, almost nine now, everything I've said on this board were my own words and my own ideas. I know at times, some people believe otherwise.

Well for what is probably already known now, my name is Anna Connell. Daughter of McCallie head coach Gordon Connell, sister of former McCallie wrestler Lee Connell and current McCallie 103 pounder Adam Connell. I was initiated into this wrestling world 22 years ago and haven't been able to leave it. When your dad is a head coach and your brothers are great wrestlers, it's hard to leave it behind. Because as we all know, wrestling is so much more than just a sport. It becomes a lifestyle. Being the proud daughter of a great and well-known coach and the sister of two good wrestlers, my passion for the sport is beyond any other female I have ever met. And probably more than any other female you old men have ever met as well. But having said all that, I'm sure some of you over time, once you found out my identity, thought, "Oh I bet Gordon's telling her to say that. There's no way some 22 year old college girl could know wrestling that way." Well you were/are all wrong. My dad could care less about boards like this and the sort of things that are said about him or his team and wrestlers or anything like that. He's just an old guy who loves wrestling more than anyone I've ever known. He has so much respect for the sport, so much passion for the boys he coaches, and so much joy in doing what he does. He has wrestlers from 20-25 years ago still calling him today to catch up, still writing him thank you letters for what he did all that time ago, still asking him to be a part of their weddings. He still has guys thanking him for making them the men they are today. He's the greatest guy I've ever known. He's not only my dad but he's my close friend. And he's not only my friend but he is my hero.

I say all this because it is finally time to say it. I have never cared that any of you on here know who I am, but because I love and respect my dad so much (as hopefully you can tell now) I never wanted my words or my actions on here to be of any reflection on him. I am a much more feisty and hot-tempered person than my dad is! He jokingly tells me often that I have more passion for the sport of wrestling than both my brothers combined! But I get worked up a lot easier where as my dad just doesn't care and lets things roll right off his back. I admire that and hope I can take on that quality of his one day! But what I say is no reflection of my father nor of my brothers, or anyone else for that matter. My words are only a reflection of me.

So now that I've gone off on probably the biggest tangent and off topic post ever in CoachT history, haha, I just want to say good luck to both teams on Friday night. Although now, you all know who I'll be pulling for.

Thanks-

Anna Connell

Anna, As your dad would say "there's a bunch of dufy (plural for duffeses?)on this board."

Jw why Connell would bump up to wrestle Watson when he is a 103 lber I don't understand this when Watson is at 125

Memphiswrestling171-

Welcome to coacht, a board of sarcasm and confusion! These guys are just messing around. Good thing you've got good people like me, raider76, bearcatbrown, and cupcake to steer you in the right direction. Don't worry, we've got your back, separating the myth from the fact of course...

Edited by Wrestle90

Memphiswrestling171-

Welcome to coacht, a board of sarcasm and confusion! These guys are just messing around. Good thing you've got good people like me, raider76, bearcatbrown, and cupcake to steer you in the right direction. Don't worry, we've got your back, separating the myth from the fact of course...

These words have never before been used in the same sentence.

Takedown - I was thinking more along the lines of "doofi" ... just my opinion!

I heard him utter the word but never saw him write it. Turns out we're both incorrect: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Dufus It's doofuses. Not of Latin origin but Scot. I also heard him use the word as a verb as in: "Quit doofusing around you doofi(sic)." However it's spelled, he's a heck of coach. Van Deusen

Edited by takedown3

I understand predictions are just opinions, but I must ask what makes you think those outcomes will happen at 125 and 145? Zach Watson defeated Landon Reed (Heritage) by a score of 11-0 in the McCallie Invitational, and Landon Reed pinned Alex Ward in the 2nd period. Despite them both having state titles under their belt respectfully, Zach is simply at a different level than Alex at this point in their careers. Then Michael Hooker comes in this being his 4th time to compete in this dual meet, and not to mention he's the best pinner in the state. Popp is a young talent, but lacks the inexperience in big time matches and against big time opponents. I don't see there being any way Popp avoids the fall here.

i think it is safe money to say Zac Watson will win. really, there are a lot of matches on the fence but i am just saying and i dont have a dog in the hunt.

Memphiswrestling171-

Hmm...I was trying to think...how bad of a situation I'd have to be in to have Raider76 or BCB have my back......that's a bad mental image.

i think it is safe money to say Zac Watson will win. really, there are a lot of matches on the fence but i am just saying and i dont have a dog in the hunt.

Zach Watson defeated Landon Reed (Heritage) by a score of 11-0 in the McCallie Invitational, and Landon Reed pinned Alex Ward in the 2nd period. Despite them both having state titles under their belt respectfully, Zach is simply at a different level than Alex at this point in their careers.

IMHO, you guys don't give Zach credit for his efforts in his matches as you appear to think he simply shows up and its a win. Common opponents are a tricky comparison. At the prep slam last weekend, Zach lost to Canton in the finals by a larger margin than Ward lost to him in the semis. Does this mean Alex is now favored over Zach? If I remember correctly, Ward has a win over Lewis of Soddy who has to be considered near the top level of TN tallent. If Zach wins, how bout giving him credit for a great win over a quality opponent?

Pinkstaff is at Bearden in knoxville, clements is at baylor, prevost is at ensworth

103 connell dec holloway3m

112 elsea dec eady3m

119 brunner pin boyd6b

125 watson maj dec ward4b

130 reece maj dec westbrooks4b

135 manley fall kent but dies of swollen ego6b

140 doster fall cobb6b

145 hooker fall popp6m

152 cate maj dec mcclure4b

160 duncan fall craig6m

171 martino? fall bodine6m

189 anderson dec bullard3m