Got a high school football rule question?

footballref

Is there any scenario where an interior lineman can lift his hand before the ball is snapped after placing it on the ground.

Not really outside of some kind of odd shift. The widest guy on the line of scrimmage can lift his hand and shift. If the widest guy shifts off the line of scrimmage then the next the was previously covered up could do the same. Not anything I think you would see. Once an interior lineman has his on or near the ground he is pretty much stuck. Same thing with the center and taking his hands off the ball.

7-1-7c states:

ART. 7 . . . After the ball is marked ready for play and before the snap begins,

no false start shall be made by any A player. It is a false start if:

c. Any A player on his line between the snapper and the player on the end of

his line, after having placed a hand(s) on or near the ground, moves his

hand(s) or makes any quick movement

Our sideline, stands and press box was addressed loudly by a ref Friday night "You're band can't play while the other team has the ball". I suppose its a rule that just hasn't been enforced?

Not a rule to my knowledge. We have told them they can play anytime they want. The only no no we enforce is that they can't be blowing a whistle. Even at that point it would be something for game administration to handle.

Could it also be a receiver who goes out of bounds and then comes back in and immediately touches/catches the ball?

Not in high school. It would be illegal participation when he returned.

Rule reference - An ineligible A player has illegally touched a forward pass if he

bats, muffs or catches a legal forward pass, unless the pass has first been

touched by B.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, footballref.  I have a brain teaser for you.  I've been thinking about the 'momentum' issue you brought up us to earlier. 

Lets say, on a punt, the receiving player catches the ball on the 2 yard line as he is running towards his own endzone.  His momentum carries him into his endzone where the following happens:

a.  He fumbles the ball and his teammate recovers the ball, in the endzone.

b.  He fumbles the ball and a player from the other team who punted it, recovers the ball in the endzone.

c.  While attempting to run the ball out of the endzone, but still in the endzone, his teammate gets called for a hold at the 5 yard line.  He is tackled in the endzone.

d.  While attempting to run the ball out of the endzone, his teammate gets called for hoilding IN the endzone and he gets tackled in the endzone.

e. While attempting to run the ball out of the endzone, his teammate gets called for hoilding IN the endzone and he gets tackled on the 5 yard line.

I saw a play in a jv game recently where this punt momentum thing came into play as in scenario a. above.  I have myself so confused on these, and the more I think about these, the more oddball senerios that I come up with.  Hope you can tell me what happens in each senerio, where to spot the ball in each.  Enlighten us.  Thanks.

Ok, footballref. I have a brain teaser for you. I've been thinking about the 'momentum' issue you brought up us to earlier.

Lets say, on a punt, the receiving player catches the ball on the 2 yard line as he is running towards his own endzone. His momentum carries him into his endzone where the following happens:

a. He fumbles the ball and his teammate recovers the ball, in the endzone.

b. He fumbles the ball and a player from the other team who punted it, recovers the ball in the endzone.

c. While attempting to run the ball out of the endzone, but still in the endzone, his teammate gets called for a hold at the 5 yard line. He is tackled in the endzone.

d. While attempting to run the ball out of the endzone, his teammate gets called for hoilding IN the endzone and he gets tackled in the endzone.

e. While attempting to run the ball out of the endzone, his teammate gets called for hoilding IN the endzone and he gets tackled on the 5 yard line.

I saw a play in a jv game recently where this punt momentum thing came into play as in scenario a. above. I have myself so confused on these, and the more I think about these, the more oddball senerios that I come up with. Hope you can tell me what happens in each senerio, where to spot the ball in each. Enlighten us. Thanks.

Great scenarios!...and can be easily confusing.

A - momentum. Ball goes to the 2 where it is 1st and 10 for the receiving team.

B - TD for the kicking team.

C - foul enforced from the momentum spot (2). 1st and 10 for the receiving team from their 1.

D - safety

E - no momentum since the ball did not become dead in the end zone. Safety here as well.