Got a high school football rule question?

footballref

slimshady,

Hurdling literally hurdling, as in jumping foot or feet first over an opposing player that is on his feet with nothing else touching the ground. Illiegal. Example: if a running back hurdles a pile of players, or a player on his knees, or a player on two feet and one hand on the ground, perfectly legal. The runninig back cannot hurdle a tackler that is touching the ground with only his feet. Few people know the correct definition of this rule. I dont have a rulebook to give you the references, but I do knwo the rule.

slimshady,

Hurdling literally hurdling, as in jumping foot or feet first over an opposing player that is on his feet with nothing else touching the ground. Illiegal. Example: if a running back hurdles a pile of players, or a player on his knees, or a player on two feet and one hand on the ground, perfectly legal. The runninig back cannot hurdle a tackler that is touching the ground with only his feet. Few people know the correct definition of this rule. I dont have a rulebook to give you the references, but I do knwo the rule.

That has got to be the lamest rule in football. Because i've seen it done a hundred times, and every time i think..WOW that was awesome. Just like an ankle breaking juke, catch and spin, etc. I think TSSAA needs to rethink the rule. I've seen it done in college and pros, and never get flagged.

How can a team kick off at the start of a game then at the start of the 2nd half kick off again????

If the team wins the toss and chooses to kick instead of defer until the second half this can happen because in the second half the other team is going to choose to receive.

Actually for this to happen would take a lot of work. For a team to want to kick after winning the toss should not really be an option.

That has got to be the lamest rule in football. Because i've seen it done a hundred times, and every time i think..WOW that was awesome. Just like an ankle breaking juke, catch and spin, etc. I think TSSAA needs to rethink the rule. I've seen it done in college and pros, and never get flagged.

It is not a TSSAA rule. It is a NFHS rule. 48 of the 50 states play by NFHS rules.

You see it on Saturday and Sunday because there is no rule against it. You cannot take what you see in high school, college, or pro and try to apply it to another level of football. Many of the rules are the same but many others aren't

There is no tackle box in high school. There is no such thing as an uncatchable pass.

• 2 weeks later...

On a fake field goal/fake extra point, does the holder's knee have to be off the ground before the ball is caught, if he takes off running with the ball.

No. It does have to be off the ground before he can toss it or pitch it. He can catch it and then get up and run.

Here is what an exception in rule 4-2-2 says:

ART. 2 . . . The ball becomes dead and the down is ended:

a. When a runner goes out of bounds, is held so his forward progress is

stopped or allows any part of his person other than hand or foot to touch

the ground.

EXCEPTIONS:

1. The ball remains live if, at the snap, a place-kick holder with his knee(s) on the

ground and with a teammate in kicking position catches or recovers the snap while

his knee(s) is on the ground and places the ball for a kick, or if he rises to advance,

hand, kick or pass; or

2. The ball remains live if, at the snap, a place-kick holder with his knee(s) on the

ground and with a teammate in kicking position rises and catches or recovers an

errant snap and immediately returns his knee(s) to the ground and places the ball for

a kick or again rises to advance, hand, kick or pass.

NOTE: The ball becomes dead if the place-kick holder muffs the snap or fumbles and

recovers after his knees have been off the ground, and he then touches the ground

with other than hand or foot while in possession of the ball.

Edited by footballref

Can a TE put a hand down on the ground and then raise up to look for a signal from the coach?

Rule 7-17c says:

ART. 7 . . . After the ball is marked ready for play and before the snap begins,

no false start shall be made by any A player. It is a false start if:

a. A shift or feigned charge simulates action at the snap.

b. Any act is clearly intended to cause B to encroach.

c. Any A player on his line between the snapper and the player on the end of

his line, after having placed a hand(s) on or near the ground, moves his

hand(s) or makes any quick movement.