Got a high school football rule question?

footballref

Can a player be sent off the field if their jersey is not tucked in?

I suppose. They can also be flagged. This is something you are going to do your best to avoid flagging. Glad you posted this. I had to get in the book and look it up. Below is what I found. I most cases you are just going to tell a player to get his shirt tucked in.

Rule 1-5-1b-1 (Player Equipment) states:

A jersey, unaltered from the manufacturer’s original design/production,

and which shall be long enough to reach the top of the pants and shall

be tucked in if longer

Under penalty summary this is a 5 yard foul:

PENALTY SUMMARY

LOSS OF 5 YARDS Reference Signal

1. Failure to properly wear mandatory player equipment during down......................................1-5-6 27-23

I have never seen this called. I would hope some preventive officiating would take care of this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't believe that it was necessary to alter the rules at all, it was an attempt to appease both sides of the Rick Bowers incident.Had the rules in effect been applied as written there would have been no controversy, thus no need for additional rules or changes to those existing relevant to that situation.

Standardized checklist created by the Center for Disease Control for players with concussion-like symptoms. Tennessee was the 44'th state to mandate the use of the list, in effect starting today. Also I believe there to be additional guidelines regarding severity and off time, but haven't seen anything on paper.

edit...checklist available at  www.cdc.gov/concussion/pdf/tbi_schools_checklist_508-a.pdf

Edited by tradertwo