Got a high school football rule question?

footballref

Is a player with the ball hurdling a player a penalty?

The answer to this question depends on the positioning of the defender.  If the defender is attempting to make a tackle on the ball carrier and has left his feet (diving at the runner) no penalty for hurdling.  However, if the defender is on his feet, if the runner attempts to jump over the defender, you could have a hurdling situation.  I personally have seen this penalty called 1 time in my games in the last 8 years. You could have a situation of hurdling by a defensive player on a field goal attempt as well. Defender "jumps" over an offensive lineman attempting to block the try - could be a hurdling situation.

If a runner hurdles a defender as you asked - hurdling is defined in the NFHS rules book, so it is a penalty based on my brief explanation above. 

Is a player with the ball hurdling a player a penalty?

Yes, below I have posted the definition of hurdling:

Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump (hurdle) with one or both feet or

knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet.

Edited by footballref

On a missed field goal; where is the ball spotted ? Mt Juliet missed a 56 yard field goal and ball was spotted on the 20.

If the ball crossed the plane of the goal line this was done correctly.

Think of it like this, a FG is nothing more than a punt that can score.

Had the ball not crossed the goal line and became dead at the 2. That is where the ball would have been put in play. Had the ball rolled to the 2 the receiving team/defense could have returned it just like a punt.

If the ball crossed the plane of the goal line this was done correctly.

Think of it like this, a FG is nothing more than a punt that can score.

Had the ball not crossed the goal line and became dead at the 2. That is where the ball would have been put in play. Had the ball rolled to the 2 the receiving team/defense could have returned it just like a punt.

It did cross the goal line in the air.

Thanks !

Yes, below I have posted the definition of hurdling:

Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump (hurdle) with one or both feet or

knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet.

Thank ye.  Now I know what's going on with it.