Got a high school football rule question?

footballref

• 2 weeks later...

It's not actually a TN rule but a NFHS rule. And I do think I remember hearing one time that safety is the primary reason for it.

He's right that it's not a TN rule, it's NFHS. 48 of 50 states play by NFHS. Sometimes a state will test a rule for a year that is different from others but mists everything is NFHS governed.

Why it's a rule? Because the book says so :) I really can't answer why I just know it is.

• 1 month later...

Bump...this topic had slid way down

I've got one.

This year I've seen the ball carrier called for face masking because of the stiffarm 4 times. I'm calling it "excessive stiffarm" in all of watching football I've seen it once before. I have a picture of the last one. The stiffarm is on top of the helmet and not touching the face mask. What is the rule here? Is there a time limit that the stiffarm can be used?

Thanks

I've got one.

This year I've seen the ball carrier called for face masking because of the stiffarm 4 times. I'm calling it "excessive stiffarm" in all of watching football I've seen it once before. I have a picture of the last one. The stiffarm is on top of the helmet and not touching the face mask. What is the rule here? Is there a time limit that the stiffarm can be used?

Thanks

Either team can be called for a face mask. So, yes the runner can face mask a defender. It's not something you see very often.

Where is the ball spotted for a missed FG that is snapped from the 40 yard line? Does it make a difference if the ball goes into the end zone or not? Money riding on this.

Thanks

Think of it like this, a FG is the same as a punt that can score.

Where does the ball become dead in your scenario? If it breaks the plane of the goal line it's a touchback. If it rolls dead at the 5 then that's where it would be put in play. If it doesn't break the plane it can be returned just like a punt.

Make sense? Let me know something more specific and I'll try and answer it.