Got a high school football rule question?

footballref

• 2 weeks later...

How is a Personal foul 15 yards and not an automatic first down..twice once in Jamboree for us and last night against us it has been called but the yardage wasn't enough for a first down One was inside the 10.. Is it not an automatic first down in HS football?

It's just 15 yards. Pass interference is not a first down either.

• 2 weeks later...

How is a Personal foul 15 yards and not an automatic first down..twice once in Jamboree for us and last night against us it has been called but the yardage wasn't enough for a first down One was inside the 10.. Is it not an automatic first down in HS football?

Only automatics in HS ball anymore are the "roughing" penalties. (Passer, kicker, snapper, holder)

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious what the rules state about Spiking the ball to stop the clock.  Does the player have to make an actually throwing motion?  I have not heard the official wording in the rule book for this.  I was filming a game the other night and saw this Spike to stop the clock and it looked like he just took the snap and with both hands pushed the ball down into the ground.  I thought you needed to at least make a throwing passing motion into the ground.  

I am curious what the rules state about Spiking the ball to stop the clock. Does the player have to make an actually throwing motion? I have not heard the official wording in the rule book for this. I was filming a game the other night and saw this Spike to stop the clock and it looked like he just took the snap and with both hands pushed the ball down into the ground. I thought you needed to at least make a throwing passing motion into the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6XEh88NQV4&feature=youtu.be

“It is legal to conserve time by intentionally throwing the ball forward to the ground immediately after receiving a direct hand-to-hand-snap.â€

Excerpt From: NFHS & Bob Colgate. “2014 NFHS Football Rules Book.†NFHS. iBooks.

This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/mhUz0.l

I am curious what the rules state about Spiking the ball to stop the clock.  Does the player have to make an actually throwing motion?  I have not heard the official wording in the rule book for this.  I was filming a game the other night and saw this Spike to stop the clock and it looked like he just took the snap and with both hands pushed the ball down into the ground.  I thought you needed to at least make a throwing passing motion into the ground.  

I've seen it done that way before and they always let it pass.  As long as it is a hand to hand snap (can't do it out of the shotgun) and as long as it is done going forward then they are going to let it pass.  Consider that you will see them underhand it or sometimes just seem to push the ball forward on a shuffle/shovel/Utah pass and it's not much different than what you see in the video, just going forward instead of down.

I've seen it done that way before and they always let it pass. As long as it is a hand to hand snap (can't do it out of the shotgun) and as long as it is done going forward then they are going to let it pass. Consider that you will see them underhand it or sometimes just seem to push the ball forward on a shuffle/shovel/Utah pass and it's not much different than what you see in the video, just going forward instead of down.

In the book there are forward passes and backward passes. Underhand or overhand doesn't matter.

Another term people use that is not a football term is lateral. There's no such thing, it's a backward pass per the book.