No private Schools in State "A" Tournament?

bobcatfan300

Private Schools in all other sports, except baseball and softball, are even in my with public schools in my book. In single a football it was split in the past decade with DCA, Boyd, and CPA winning early in the decade, and when Trousdale County come back down they and South Pitt has dominated A football. In the 90's Trousdale pretty much had its way in single a football, so in football there haven't been much difference in private and public schools. You have seen statistics for A mens basketball in the last 10 years that wardawg give, so private schools have been even in basketball as well. In single a womens basketball Jackson County has 2 gold balls, Clarkrange has 2, Forrest has 1, and Gleaseon has 1 all in the last 10 years so public schools have won more in womens basketball. The sports private schools really take control in is baseball and softball. Over in region 4a, Friendship Christian has won this region every year since Upperman left A and went up to AA and even then I know they were winning it then some too. In region 4a softball only 2 teams have put FCS out of tournament play and that was Trousdale County early in the 00's who beat FCS for the district championship and in the same year RBS elimated FCS from the region tournament. Other than that FCS has won this region as well. When Forrest won the softball A state championship a few years back it was the first time a public school had done so since Westmoreland had won it in the 80's, so in baseball and softball is where private schools get their bad name...not any other of the major sports!

I don't see why private schools should just get a bad name in baseball and softball. FCS had a center (football) from Michigan a few years back. Also, from what I hear Temple doesn't have any state titles. They got stripped because the Skogan's lived on campus (feel free to clear this up if it is incorrect). It's silly that any private schools play against public schools anyway. Private school student bodies are small because the hand-pick who gets in. Public schools don't get that luxury. If they build a good program then maybe they get a few players throughout the years. Just put all the private schools in division II and get it over with.

Temple played an ineligible player (8th grader) in a few football games so had to forfeit their wins for those games, which included post-season district and region games. This was not related to any of the Skogens living on campus. It was limited to football only, and they ended their program a year later due to lack of funds.

Basketball they were in the state tournament on and off since the 90s after entering the TSSAA again.

Splitting out public and private for class A schools would further deplete an already small field of Class A schools. I can't speak for the entire state, but the class A private schools in Chattanooga are in district 5, so they typically beat each other out before the Sectionals. At most then you'll see one private school in the state tournament from the area despite multiple private schools.

With regard to recruiting, most of the Class A private schools don't have endowments or strong booster financial support. Recruiting students to private schools might be as common as claiming another address to play for another public school.

Edited by MoneyB

Usually the private schools dominate the state tournament in single A...what happened? Has TSSAA clamped down on recruiting? Or, didn't they recruit as well last year? I'm very happy to see an all public school tournament!

Enjoy the tournament. I'm sure it want be hard to find a seat. Its the private schools that support their teams the best. :roflolk:

• Upvote 1

Private Schools in all other sports, except baseball and softball, are even in my with public schools in my book....You have seen statistics for A mens basketball in the last 10 years that wardawg give, so private schools have been even in basketball as well....in baseball and softball is where private schools get their bad name...not any other of the major sports!

Similar to cinderella NCAA tourney teams, class A private schools will always have their best shot excelling in basketball because you only need 7 good players. Same with baseball/softball where you only need about 15 barring injuries. That's why Wake Forest's BCS football run a few years back was so amazing given only 4K students in the entire school. At a school with 150 students grades 9-12, you can't be too selective with regard to talent for high school football.

Also, baseball/softball/soccer are all spring sports in TN, so students have to pick (or have two equally bad teams in those sports).

You have to take those stats about same number of championships with a grain of salt. The publics have won about the same amount of championships as the privates. Ok, lets take the number of championships and divide that by the number of privates in the T$$AA( Div.I). Now do the same with the publics. THAT is what doesn't really add up. Far more public schools than there are privates but the privates have about the same amnt. of championships? All things are not equal.Not really. Simple solution is put ALL privates in the same division.(against other non financial aid privates of course) If you truley want to hear everyone stop complaining then why not? Why are some of the private schools against this? One excuse is having to travel so far to play other privates. Schedule publics during the regular season.(Due to travel expenses for traveling further to play other privates)But when post season play rolls around,Make it private vs.private and public vs.public. I would think the T$$AA would be all for this since it would give them 1 or possibly 2 more championship games to make money off of. Just my public school UNeducated opinion.(for which I'm sure to get blasted for shortly)

• 2 weeks later...

You may not have privates in Single A, but AA final has two "private magnet" schools playing for championship. Announcer just said that any kid in Nashville can go to East Lit and pretty well known fact that athletes somehow get their lottery number pulled for Liberty. I am thinking the magnets are more private than the privates and probably have a much larger recruiting base.

You have to take those stats about same number of championships with a grain of salt. The publics have won about the same amount of championships as the privates. Ok, lets take the number of championships and divide that by the number of privates in the T$$AA( Div.I). Now do the same with the publics. THAT is what doesn't really add up. Far more public schools than there are privates but the privates have about the same amnt. of championships? All things are not equal.Not really. Simple solution is put ALL privates in the same division.(against other non financial aid privates of course) If you truley want to hear everyone stop complaining then why not? Why are some of the private schools against this? One excuse is having to travel so far to play other privates. Schedule publics during the regular season.(Due to travel expenses for traveling further to play other privates)But when post season play rolls around,Make it private vs.private and public vs.public. I would think the T$$AA would be all for this since it would give them 1 or possibly 2 more championship games to make money off of. Just my public school UNeducated opinion.(for which I'm sure to get blasted for shortly)

and by this, are you saying only have one public division also? Don't see how putting both privates in one division would give TSSAA "1 or possibly 2 more championship games"??? (Also public school educated, but I had a really good Math teacher)

You may not have privates in Single A, but AA final has two "private magnet" schools playing for championship. Announcer just said that any kid in Nashville can go to East Lit and pretty well known fact that athletes somehow get their lottery number pulled for Liberty. I am thinking the magnets are more private than the privates and probably have a much larger recruiting base.

Any kid can go to any school within their county before they start playing. Magnet schools are public schools that can be selective about who they let in. The main key is that some parents would just rather have their kids go to a magnet school.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets not leave it at that,sounds like you're trying to belittle the working class,or through your infinite wisdom let them down gently to the fact that their kids are doomed to a life of poverty and embarassment if they did not have the ambition to "better"their children by sending them to a private school.I went to a small rural school,around 125-150 enrolled while I was there,and of the eight or nine of the lot who have become "very successful"by your standards,only two have degrees.Of course you're probably thinking on a much grander scale than us common folk so I'll drop some names that you may recognize,Michael Dell,Steve Jobs,and of course Bill Gates who all share the field of p.c.'s and software.Then Frank Wright of archetectural engenering and design,and Barry Diller,founder and C.E.O. of Fox network,and Pixar too,until Disney aquired that stock from him.Not one degree in the bunch....oh,and did I mention that 'ole Walt was a high school dropout? An education is a grand thing,and no one will ever be worse for having all that they can aquire,but not everyone has the opportunity,nor the rescources to obtain one of your precious degrees,and society should not look down their noses at those less fortunite.Also,how is this relevant to a basketball thread?

Very relevant - East Lit - magnet school/public, finals of AA state this year. Hillsboro High School - open enrollment - several AAA football state champs, and I think they won the girls AAA state either last year or the year before. Alcoa - open enrollment 15-20 straight AA football championships. And all those A girls teams out in the hoot and hollers they move around and get to the school in that part of the county that has the strongest basketball - I "think" the publics work "their system"(transferring) pretty well - heck now the publics will give you gas money to get to school to go to ur school of choice.