Legal Bat Question / Observation

Solo-mon 2

I can make it real simple. If a player is caught using an illegal bat, both the player and coach are kicked out of that game and suspended for "X number" of games following it. Make it even stiffer for a a repeat offender. That would start to get people's attention real quick.

I hope this does not happen, but if a player gets hurt after an umpire is made aware of an illegal bat. I would not want to be the umpire. He will lose everything. The lawyers will make mincemeat of him.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just played in a tournament in Chattanooga and there were at least a couple of illegal bats there and when questioned the umps had no ideal and let them continue playing because the BESR stamp is on them. Here's the deal, first the BESR stamp they need to be looking for is different this year and is rectangular in shape and will state on the barrel on legal bats that the barrel is aluminum. The umps were supposedly told that they need to check this but the all-composite bats also have the BESR but it's square and that was ok until this year.

Now to clarify on the bats that are on the TSSSAA and TPR websites those are all composite bats that are still legal and include Louisville Sluggers and Demarini's and some Combats. AGAIN those are the LEGAL all Comp bats. Now the new BESR LEGAL BATS are those with the rectangular stamp and should state on the barrel that it is aluminum. They CAN have a composite handle. The other legal bats are any BBCOR and/or wood bats. It's not that some of the Easton Bats are not legal, the ones with the proper stamp and aluminum barrels are fine. THE LIST YOU SEE ON TSSAA AND TPR IS FOR THOSE LEGAL FULLY COMPOSITE BATS. You have to read the whole thing not just look at the bats on the list. Hope this clarifies things and I'm willing to bet that this won't get cracked down on until district tournaments but right now half of the umps are only looking for ANY BESR stamp and nothing more specific than that. I provided a link on an earlier post on this topic that has a list of over 1600 bats and you can see the barrel types on the upper right of the list, any bat with an A or B type barrell is legal.

Knox Halls player hit a double at Mo West over the weekend and was called out because he used an illegal bat. Some umps are calling it. These bats gives the player an unfair advantage. I hope all umps will follow TSSAA rules.

This happened in a tournament on Saturday but the umpire they had on Thursdays game Ok'd to use it. Played a game yesterday against a kid using a comp bat and after long discussions and 2 illegal bat lists, they ok'd him to use it. They all will be using the same dead bats next year so enjoy.

We have had this happen twice in the last week. This past Tuesday there was a bat in question and both umpires agreed that if it had BESR stamped on it then it was legal, regardless of the type, shape, or size of the stamp. No more than two days later I had two different umpires tell me they had no clue what was legal or illegal. Yesterday, while having a conversation in between games, an ump told me that he was going by "if it has BESR or BBCOR then its LEGAL, no questions." I then asked about the Easton Comps and he said if it has BESR or BBCOR then its LEGAL. So my question is, what are the umpires being told? Anything?

We just played in a tournament in Chattanooga and there were at least a couple of illegal bats there and when questioned the umps had no ideal and let them continue playing because the BESR stamp is on them. Here's the deal, first the BESR stamp they need to be looking for is different this year and is rectangular in shape and will state on the barrel on legal bats that the barrel is aluminum. The umps were supposedly told that they need to check this but the all-composite bats also have the BESR but it's square and that was ok until this year.

Now to clarify on the bats that are on the TSSSAA and TPR websites those are all composite bats that are still legal and include Louisville Sluggers and Demarini's and some Combats. AGAIN those are the LEGAL all Comp bats. Now the new BESR LEGAL BATS are those with the rectangular stamp and should state on the barrel that it is aluminum. They CAN have a composite handle. The other legal bats are any BBCOR and/or wood bats. It's not that some of the Easton Bats are not legal, the ones with the proper stamp and aluminum barrels are fine. THE LIST YOU SEE ON TSSAA AND TPR IS FOR THOSE LEGAL FULLY COMPOSITE BATS. You have to read the whole thing not just look at the bats on the list. Hope this clarifies things and I'm willing to bet that this won't get cracked down on until district tournaments but right now half of the umps are only looking for ANY BESR stamp and nothing more specific than that. I provided a link on an earlier post on this topic that has a list of over 1600 bats and you can see the barrel types on the upper right of the list, any bat with an A or B type barrell is legal.

This is the best description YET on Legal and Illegal bats - Thanks

This is the best description YET on Legal and Illegal bats - Thanks

Maybe in 2012 when they have to have the tamper resistant sticker,it will be more clearer, lol.

Beginning January 1, 2012, all bats not made of a single piece of wood shall meet the Batted Ball Coefficient of Restitution (BBCOR) performance standard, and such bats shall be labeled with a silkscreen or other permanent certification mark. The certification mark shall be rectangular, a minimum of a half-inch on each side and located on the barrel of the bat in any contrasting color. Aluminum and composite bats shall be labeled as approved tamper evident, and be marked as to being aluminum or composite. This marking shall be silkscreen or other permanent certification mark, a minimum of one-half-inch on each side and located on the barrel of the bat in any contrasting color.

I hope this doesnt mean the kids/parents/schools that have legal bbcor bats this year for 2011 have to go buy another bat in 2012 just to have the sticker on it.

Maybe in 2012 when they have to have the tamper resistant sticker,it will be more clearer, lol.

Beginning January 1, 2012, all bats not made of a single piece of wood shall meet the Batted Ball Coefficient of Restitution (BBCOR) performance standard, and such bats shall be labeled with a silkscreen or other permanent certification mark. The certification mark shall be rectangular, a minimum of a half-inch on each side and located on the barrel of the bat in any contrasting color. Aluminum and composite bats shall be labeled as approved tamper evident, and be marked as to being aluminum or composite. This marking shall be silkscreen or other permanent certification mark, a minimum of one-half-inch on each side and located on the barrel of the bat in any contrasting color.

I hope this doesnt mean the kids/parents/schools that have legal bbcor bats this year for 2011 have to go buy another bat in 2012 just to have the sticker on it.

Those using bbcor bats this year should be fine, they have the rectangular stamp on them already and really the easiest thing is for them to read the print on the barrel, most every one I've looked at says on the barrel if it's aluminum or composite.

Some of you guys from that played back in the 80's will remember the good old green Easton or the Black Magic? Or what about the Louisville Slugger TPS. Lets just bring back those three bats and problem solved!!

I was also told by a TSSAA umpire that when they had their rules meeting, they were told not to dwell on the bat issue. They have a list with them in case a coach questions it. I agree with whoever said, "Look at the barrel. If it is aluminum, it is good."

Some of you guys from that played back in the 80's will remember the good old green Easton or the Black Magic? Or what about the Louisville Slugger TPS. Lets just bring back those three bats and problem solved!!

I was also told by a TSSAA umpire that when they had their rules meeting, they were told not to dwell on the bat issue. They have a list with them in case a coach questions it. I agree with whoever said, "Look at the barrel. If it is aluminum, it is good."

Wow thats what I played with at Cumberland from 85-89, your good.