Oakland football in rebuilding mode?

nrgrizzlies

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any word on the scrimmage at Brentwood today?

It was a good day, Oakland didnt impress in a big way like they did thursday, but we blocked better and got better at some positions that we needed to be, like Quarterback. I think Jahaad Lyons, all but wrapped up the starting quarterback job last night, he made good decisions, didnt try to force anything, and his throws were solid. However, he is going to have to keep it up all year, Rhett Stacey and Emmanuel Smith give Oakland major depth at the QB position.

My insider source says that the Martin kid's father played for Alsup's teams back in the late 80's. I am scrambling trying to remember the Dad's name though. That was back in my first glimpses at OHS football when they went back to back to the Clinic Bowl and fell short both yrs.

I am a little fuzzy on the details, but as of right now, he's the best Tailback Oakland has, thats not a shot at Chesterfield or Swader, but a indicator of how good Martin's fall camp has been.

O, tell me a bit more about this kid.

Travon Willis is the prototype Tailback in a Fullback's body. Wouldnt suprise me at all to see him get 500-750 yards on the ground. He's so athletic that he can get the ball out in space as well. Has the potential to be the best fullback we have had in quite a while.

I totally agree with you OP about Willis. He is a good one and is just a Jr. I did not know anything about the Martin kid until the Beech scrimmage. He has picked the perfect time to step up with Swader not being 100%. He may also be able to free up Chesterfield to play more on defense. I also heard Locklayer is hurt. Did he play yesterday at all?

I totally agree with you OP about Willis. He is a good one and is just a Jr. I did not know anything about the Martin kid until the Beech scrimmage. He has picked the perfect time to step up with Swader not being 100%. He may also be able to free up Chesterfield to play more on defense. I also heard Locklayer is hurt. Did he play yesterday at all?

Apparently, he was injured during the Beech scrimmage, but was told it was nothing major. Oakland may very well have to lean on Denzell little bit with Swader missing the first few games of the season. If it makes you feel any better, I didnt know much about Martin either, and the ones that I did talk to didnt feel like he would get big carries. Obviously that has changed

Just copy and pasting what I put on my Oakland site:

Some notes I took from the MBA scrimmage (didnt keep score):

Offense: Lined up most of the night in their goalline and 2 tightend sets and fared pretty well running the football against a good MBA defense. Travon Willis was very solid running the football, as was Denzell Martin and Fred Wade. William Butler made a beautiful adjustment on a deep pass that led to Oakland's first score. Oakland still had a little trouble with the snap from the Shotgun/Patriot formations. Jahaad Lyons and Rhett Stacey performed below expectations IMO. WIth that said, Lyons played within himself, not trying to force anything, Stacey I felt still had a outside chance to take the Starting QB position, that is less likely now. The other QB in this equation, Emmanuel Smith, continues to shine taking snaps from the Patriot formation. Smith wont start on offense, but you can bet he will turn alot of heads this fall.

Defense: Had some problems stopping the run on edge, but were in the position to make the plays just couldnt finish, should be easily correctable. Travon Willis and Austin Barrett both had some nice plays on defense but the play of the night belonged to Safety Emmanuel Smith, who tipped a pass in the End Zone, and then caught it one handed to take 7 points off the board for the Big Red.

Special Teams: Junior Alex Vansenus looks solid, when given enough time to in coverage to follow through on his kicks. MBA was successful in disrupting that coverage and forcing a couple of bad punts out of Vansenus, but was still able to get the kick off. Looked to have very solid leg strength as well, he puts some force into that football when he kicks it.

Overall, it wasnt a great scrimmage for Oakland, but it was another step forward for this young team. It looks like that will conclude the 2011 pre-season unless Oakland gets a last minute addition, so the countdown to the Week 0 Matchup against Arlington begins..........

My insider source says that the Martin kid's father played for Alsup's teams back in the late 80's. I am scrambling trying to remember the Dad's name though. That was back in my first glimpses at OHS football when they went back to back to the Clinic Bowl and fell short both yrs.

The "ice bowl" at Vandy that night vs. Gallatin? I think that was around 1989 or 1990 maybe (?)

I still shiver when I think about how cold it was.

One week away from the start of the 2011 season.

Does anyone know anything about the Arlington team?

The only thing I know is what I read in the Murphy Fair magazine. They look to be returning players in some key spots and should be competitive. I am unsure of the level of competition they face in their district. The countdown is on....Go Patriots