the best sophmore point guard

Smuff

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best soph poing guard in Memphis goes to Josh Stafford of Sheffield. I Have been watching Josh and most of the other top pg's in memphis for the past 4 or 5 years and Josh is by far the best. I would have to say that J.P. Prince of White Station is second and Jordan Mincy of Ridgeway is a close third.

Rico Seay will grade out as the best sophomore point guard by season's end! Mincy is not eligible at Ridgeway and will have to sit this season. He should not even be considered a factor since he will NOT be playing.

J.P. is a #3 man trying to play point. He cannot go to his right, has a linedrive knuckleball shot and does not pass well enough to cover up these weaknesses. Maybe he'll get better, but I doubt Terry Tippett is going to base his season on J.P.'s ability to play point.

Stafford is a #2 guard. He likes to score first and pass second. He does not have the traditional point guard mentality. Good athlete and can score, but not a point guard.

Rico can not score like either of the two guards...if your mentality is pass first shoot second then Rico might get it...cus he can not score like the others...Stafford is a point guard, and that is what he plays in AAU and in high school...stafford never wants to shoot, he loves passing...he is a great individual, and coaches have to get on to him and tell him to take over the game and start shooting, he is the best point guard, and I have seen Rico, JP is the best player in the city, and stafford is the best point guard...Rico is smaller and can not jump as high as Josh...I have seen Stafford dunk it. His dad is Ron Huery...if he got too much of a scorers mentality, well I guess we know where he got that from.

HAHA! saying Josh is not a good point guard is like saying JP plays center....you just dont say that, cus it aint true. Josh looks to get his team involved before he looks to shoot or penetrate, but when he makes up his mind that hes gonna take it to the hole...aint nobody stopping Josh Stafford!!! Rico is a joke, he hasnt improved in 3 years.

Ego

Obviously you have not seen Rico play lately!!! He's taller, 15 lbs heavier and can score with ANYBODY. Why do you think he was invited to the NIKE camp? He is always in control, has a coach's mentality (3.8 GPA), can go right or left, can score the three, the pull up jumper, and go to the hole. You need to see him before putting him down. J.P. is a good 10th grade player...but FAR from the best in the city, much less the state. He's a great kid and will do well but you are not evaluating him objectively at this point.

Sorry about the mix-up on Stafford. Thought he was the #2 guard at Sheffield. What is his name? Stocky shooter...maybe lefthanded. Since you mentioned Ron Huery, I remember seeing Stafford play and he was a quick little player. Need to see him lately to see if he's improved just like you need to see Rico.

If you classify JP as a PG, like I do, then he is the best PG in Memphis, Period. Chris Finley of Memphis Treadwell is a name that is not often mentioned on these boards, but he is the #2 PG in Memphis. Jordan Mincy is the third best PG, and should be eligible Second semester. Stafford is #4. Seay is #5. Lawrence Johnson or Penny Williams (Bartlett) are also quality PG's in Memphis......

Statewide.......In a LOADED PG class at this point in the Class of 2005.........

1-JP Prince, White Station

2-Al Harris, Austin East

3-Richard Delk, Jackson Northside

4-Antonio Mitchell, Dyer Co

5-Chris Finley, Treadwell

6-Derrick Menzie, Whites Creek

7-Jordan Mincy, Rideway

8-Josh Stafford, Sheffield

9-Landon Thomas, Oak Ridge

10-Johnny Lee, MLK

11-Allen Ray, Howard

12-Rico Seay, Raleigh-Egypt

13-Zack Walker, Columbia

14-Alan Asberry, Upperman

15tie-Lawrence Johnson, Fairley

15tie-Penny Williams, Bartlett

15tie-Jamal Richardson, Maplewood

15tie-Trey Hobson, Hume Fogg

Many of these PG's, especially in the Top 6, are combo-guard, with the ability to play the PG or 2G. JP Prince, Richard Delk, and Derrick Menzie are prime examples of this, as all can also play the WF spot. The best TRUE PG is Al Harris of AE. Other talented PG's on this list could move up greatly, as they are less physically mature, such as Landon Thomas, Johnny Lee, and Jamal Richardson. This has the makings of a very talented PG class in 2005.......... :)

The class of 2005 is obviously loaded with point guards and it is hard to determine an accurate list of rankings at this point.All the guys on Gomab's list are worthy of praise.I watched Landon Thomas and ALan Asberry for the Tenn.Travelers and bother are great players.Albert Harris is probably the best pg east of memphis,but these two are a close second.