John Allen to be named new head coach at Chattanooga Central

John Allen will be named new head coach at Chattanooga Central any day now. He was suppose to be named yesterday, but they are awaiting approval from the school board and making sure all his credentials are in order. What do you guys think, good hire or bad hire? I think he will be able to take the athletes they have at Chattanooga Central and do good things there.

John Allen will be named new head coach at Chattanooga Central any day now. He was suppose to be named yesterday, but they are awaiting approval from the school board and making sure all his credentials are in order. What do you guys think, good hire or bad hire? I think he will be able to take the athletes they have at Chattanooga Central and do good things there.

Central hit a homerun with this hire. He'll get the athletes he needs there to be successful, and he'll get the community to rally behind the program. He's already shown he can get communities to support a programs and team that had very little in the way of tradition, and turn those programs into playoff contenders. Imagine what he can do with a program that already has the tradition. Central has been on the verge of reawakening into a Chattanooga-area power for years. I think hiring Allen will be the final piece of the puzzle they need.

Remind me again how many play-off games he has won? How long has he stayed at any school? I thought they were looking for someone that would stay for a long time? I think they have passed over the same applicant 5 or 6 times now from their feeder school that would stay for a long time. WOW...... Wing-T baby.... Tell those receivers to get used to not catching the ball.

• Upvote 1

Probably not the best hire but certainly not the worst. And oldtiger is right, Allen has a reputation for leaving schools rather abruptly. He left LFO after 2 or 3 years, left Bradley Central after 3 years, and now he has left Silverdale after 3 or 4 years. Central needs a coach that will stay for more than just a couple years. If Allen leaves after 3 years, what then? He is a good coach and runs an efficient offense but what about the long term? Will Central be looking for a new coach in a couple years? How long will he be committed to the program? There are a lot of questions surrounding this hire.

• Upvote 1

Probably not the best hire but certainly not the worst. And oldtiger is right, Allen has a reputation for leaving schools rather abruptly. He left LFO after 2 or 3 years, left Bradley Central after 3 years, and now he has left Silverdale after 3 or 4 years. Central needs a coach that will stay for more than just a couple years. If Allen leaves after 3 years, what then? He is a good coach and runs an efficient offense but what about the long term? Will Central be looking for a new coach in a couple years? How long will he be committed to the program? There are a lot of questions surrounding this hire.

According to the Times Free Press he was at Silverdale 5 yeas, Bradley Central 1 year and LFO 5 years and has a record of 66-54 as a head coach. He should have some talent at Central which he didn't have much of at Silverdale. Bottom line is this should be a good test of his coaching ability.

John Allen was at Bradley Central for 1 Year and in that one year they went 0-10 and he bolted. When he took the Bradley job he had said that he was going to put Bradley back on the map. After that one bad year he took off for Silverdale. He was at Silverdale for 5 years. In my opinion, I think that this a terrible hire. Yea I understand that he was good at LFO and decent at Silverdale. Silverdale is a FAR CRY from LFO or Chattanooga Central. I think that Chattanooga Central is a unique place but I think that they have messed up once again on hiring a head football coach. I don't know what the interest level was by area coaches for this job, but I really feel that Central could have made a better choice with a coach with a little more commitment level, broad offensive knowledge, and recognized for bringing programs back up to par. Many questions such as will Allen leave if things go bad after year one? Will he run the Wing T? I sure would hope not with the athletes that Central has but the Wing T is his bread and butter. Best of luck to Chatt Central.

Well I think it is a good hire, I know a couple kids on that program and I hope he is sucessful. I would love to see Central become a powerhouse here in Chattanooga. The pounders have talent they just need to have someone harness it, they have long history of football and the kids deserve a good coach. And for the person that posted something in a earlier post about the recievers not getting to catch the ball because of the Wing T. WELL HOW SUCESSFUL HAS THE O BEEN IN THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS? Can't get much worse, they have had weapons in the last couple of years.

Go EAGLES !!!!!!

Remind me again how many play-off games he has won? How long has he stayed at any school? I thought they were looking for someone that would stay for a long time? I think they have passed over the same applicant 5 or 6 times now from their feeder school that would stay for a long time. WOW...... Wing-T baby.... Tell those receivers to get used to not catching the ball.

I promise you that Coach Bloodsaw from Brown Middle School is definatly not the answer!

Coach Allen steps into Central at the perfect time to succeed. All the ingredients are in place for a success program. Coach Barger built the numbers up, established a weight program and brought the progam up to respectability by taking a team that had went 2-8, 2-8, 2-8 in the previous 3 years to 5-5 and in the playoffs in his 3rd year. The numbers climbed for 35 in Coach B's 1st spring practice to 70 players in his last year including 30 Fr. Those guys will be Juniors this year and played alot as Sophomores last year. They also revaped the weightroom and built a new practice field while he was there. Coach B left to return to Lake County so his wife could have an opportunity to fulfill a dream and become a head basketball coach. It worked out well as she led the Lake County boy's basketball team to the single A state title this year. Coach Allen is a good coach but for Goosesdad to say he is better than the others is a stretch. Montgomery finished 6-4 and got the Pounders back in the playoffs for a 2nd consecutive year in 2010.Coach B has had a good career and has been to the Quarterfinals as a head coach in 2006 and again in 2010 his first year back at LC. To me the difficult work is behind the program and if Coach Allen will come in, bring the needed stability then the program will become one of the better ones in Hamilton Co. to the shagrin of those Ooltewah fan!! :thumb: