The Truth...

TNMan11

Very interesting comments. I have often thought that BA and perhaps Ensworth might be interested in moving to some sort of non-TSSAA program that incorporated other southeastern high schools that wanted to move beyond the state boundaries and compete in an ultra-competitive superconference. Up until this situation, I didn't see MBA as interested in going that route but maybe they are. I have absolutely nothing to do with the administration at Baylor or McCallie, but I wouldn't see either of them going in that direction. It was always my admittedly unfounded belief that Ralph Potter was in part interested in moving to BA because BA was more likely to be interested in a superconference than McCallie was. (Again, I admit that is complete and utter speculation on my part, supported by nothing). I don't think that was the main reason for his move but perhaps it was a consideration.

Perhaps Ensworth might not be interested--things have evolved at Ensworth that put them in a very strong position so perhaps that isn't something they are interested in--don't jump to conclusions you EHS supporters as that's not a knock at Ensworth. They are clearly doing well and may not want to change the status quo.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

YOU GUYS DON'T NEED A "SUPER-CONFERENCE". YOU JUST NEED SOMETHING LIKE THIS:

http://www.ncisaa.org/

MBA has left the TSSAA before when the rules put them in conflict with MBA's views.

I have been reading with interest because, though I have no direct connection with MBA, I have always respected the way they presented themselves. More importantly, I had the opportunity to work with Coach Owens and Coach Bennett from a media standpoint and found them to be principled men of character.

Saying that, the issue of MBA leaving the TSSAA is a conversation I never had with either. Having grown up in Nashville, I am a bit ashamed to admit ignorance to the event. Can you fill in dates, reasons, etc., that caused MBA to pull away? Just from an historical standpoint, I'd be very interested.

Thanks

I have been reading with interest because, though I have no direct connection with MBA, I have always respected the way they presented themselves. More importantly, I had the opportunity to work with Coach Owens and Coach Bennett from a media standpoint and found them to be principled men of character.

Saying that, the issue of MBA leaving the TSSAA is a conversation I never had with either. Having grown up in Nashville, I am a bit ashamed to admit ignorance to the event. Can you fill in dates, reasons, etc., that caused MBA to pull away? Just from an historical standpoint, I'd be very interested.

Thanks

I'm currently in Nashville and my book is in Ft Lauderdale. I'll be home next week and will get back to you. If I recall correctly, the Headmaster was Isaac Ball, so it would have been in the 20's or 30's.

I think the time has come for the DII privates to leave the TSSAA. Clearly, MBA blatantly broke the rules here, but I do believe that they were trying to do the right thing by this kid. If doing the right thing for kids is against TSSAA rules, what is the upside of belonging to the organization? I see Childress' joke of a response to all this as an attempt to keep the DII schools, particularly MBA, happy and in his organization.

I am totally against blatant recruiting on a financial basis. I do believe that a new organization could set rules that make competition fair while not screwing over kids that can really be helped in all aspects of their lives by attending one of these schools.

TSSAA has watered down their "State Championships" to the point of meaninglessness. They have set rules trying to keep everyone in DI happy. They obviously make huge exceptions in enforcement when enough is at stake for them as an organization. Tell me, why stay in this organization? For the sake of students? I don't think so.

The public schools would be happy if we left. The DII schools could do a better job of setting up rules that work for all of us.

Let's go!

If you leave the TSSAA that would mean no more DII State Championship Football game in the middle of the week. Play the game on Saturday just like DI does now.

If you leave the TSSAA you'd would no longer play the DII State Championship Baseball game at Wilson-Central High School. Play the game at a college field.

TSSAA does not want to regulate private school sports, they got a black eye from the BA fiasco.

Time for a super conference.

I've heard over and over again from MBA supporters that this is the wake up call that MBA needs to"right the ship". Now you same people are saying we got caught cheating so now we need to leave. What kind of message does that send? How about you stick around and try playing by the rules Like a lot of other schools do.

You're going to owe this family a HUGE apology when all the facts are on the table. This kid's decision not to play for this coach came during the 2010 season; this was way before any 2011 meetings or roster assignments. This decision was private for him and he remained silent and did not advertise his reasons. The factor of being benched for 2011was not even discussed nor an issue, no team meetings had occurred or rosters made. He remained silent and demanded not one thing. There was a called meeting, not by the student, on why he was not going to play the 2011 season. The reasons were given in written form and being benched was not one of them. Now for the jabs. If you remember the record in 2009 before he was called up was 5-4; the record after he finished was 9-5. The only loss MBA suffered during his tenure that season was to MUS in the championship game. The playoff games were hard fought by the whole team and included BGA, ENSWORTH, and BA. This set of games would make it hard for anyone to discount that his contribution. All the guys you mentioned were there during the 5-4 part of the season. Now for the next jab that DavidSchwetty seems to enjoy -- that he is not as good as the back up QB. I BEG to differ. Its rare that a 2 QB system works (UT for example). The stats that I could find shows the back up QB's rushing yards somewhere around negative 1.7 per carry and this kid's rushing yards were positive 4.7. Pass completion was essentially the same. Interceptions were three for both. Two of the starting QB's interceptions were Hail Mary's during the ENSWORTH game. Many of the stats racked up by the back up were done on teams with loosing records. I went to those games and to me there is NO question which one can read the field, pass, scramble, lead, and get the job done - it's the same one that stepped up when called in the 2009. If you polled the team you would get the same answer by a supermajority. He is a true and respected leader!

Mr. Simonis, I attended a few games, watched a few others online. Aaron is a leader, but not a qb. Maybe in 07 when MBA could run over everyone, he would have been great, but lately they have to be duel threat to win. The boy can't throw, Hall can. It's as simple as that. The main reason the 10' team won all those games were because of Fitz Lassing, and the O-line. It had little to do with 80 passing yards a game. I do not blame him for not wanting to run the ball after those injuries. It is always terrible when a kid goes through something like that. Hopefully we can watch your son on the field next year, quarterback or not.

Mr. Simonis, I attended a few games, watched a few others online. Aaron is a leader, but not a qb. Maybe in 07 when MBA could run over everyone, he would have been great, but lately they have to be duel threat to win. The boy can't throw, Hall can. It's as simple as that. The main reason the 10' team won all those games were because of Fitz Lassing, and the O-line. It had little to do with 80 passing yards a game. I do not blame him for not wanting to run the ball after those injuries. It is always terrible when a kid goes through something like that. Hopefully we can watch your son on the field next year, quarterback or not.

Obviously, you do NOT know the father nor the family you implicate --they are very humble and a great family! No one at MBA would dispute this. Furthermore, this family would never make such comparisons nor get caught up in this verbal pettiness. This much is true: Their son AND several other players decided not to play football in 2011, long before any roster was compiled. Any player at MBA will verify the time frame. These players' decisions and notifications occured in January which naturally raised some eyebrows. Also interesting to note: Over the past four years, the MBA roster has shrunk each year despite all-time high enrollment at the school. In the end, as more and more evidence of cruelty and vindictive behavior surfaces, many of you will owe this family an apology...and a thank you for ridding the school of evilness.

I'm currently in Nashville and my book is in Ft Lauderdale. I'll be home next week and will get back to you. If I recall correctly, the Headmaster was Isaac Ball, so it would have been in the 20's or 30's.

KW

What are you doing in Nashville? Applying for the head coach position or just straightening out the MBA administration?

Obviously, you do NOT know the father nor the family you implicate --they are very humble and a great family! No one at MBA would dispute this. Furthermore, this family would never make such comparisons nor get caught up in this verbal pettiness. This much is true: Their son AND several other players decided not to play football in 2011, long before any roster was compiled. Any player at MBA will verify the time frame. These players' decisions and notifications occured in January which naturally raised some eyebrows. Also interesting to note: Over the past four years, the MBA roster has shrunk each year despite all-time high enrollment at the school. In the end, as more and more evidence of cruelty and vindictive behavior surfaces, many of you will owe this family an apology...and a thank you for ridding the school of evilness.

There has always been attrition in the football program. There were 45+ boys on my freshmen team and only 17 of those played as a senior. The fact of the matter is that it takes a lot of sacriice and hardwork to be successful in Division II. Coach Bowers coach hard, Coach Rutledge coached hard, and Coach McGugin coached hard. Working the boys hard is nothing new at MBA. What is new is that some board members children are the ones quiting. Of course the parents blame the coach and refuse to even consider whether or not their children actually deserved to play more/at all.

I don't know who your sources are, but they're obviously someone associated with the Simonis family. I think I'll take James Kay's word on how the majority of the team feels about coach McGugin. Go to the MBA thread to read for yourself.

KW

What are you doing in Nashville? Applying for the head coach position or just straightening out the MBA administration?

Looking at the possibility of relocating. Seeing one game a year, I seem to have let things run amok. Still, what's happened has happened, and I'm not sure if I've been fired from my unpaid position on the Hill, or if they've merely asked for my resignation.

There has always been attrition in the football program. There were 45+ boys on my freshmen team and only 17 of those played as a senior. The fact of the matter is that it takes a lot of sacriice and hardwork to be successful in Division II. Coach Bowers coach hard, Coach Rutledge coached hard, and Coach McGugin coached hard. Working the boys hard is nothing new at MBA. What is new is that some board members children are the ones quiting. Of course the parents blame the coach and refuse to even consider whether or not their children actually deserved to play more/at all.

I don't know who your sources are, but they're obviously someone associated with the Simonis family. I think I'll take James Kay's word on how the majority of the team feels about coach McGugin. Go to the MBA thread to read for yourself.

All I will add is that "back in the day," under Coach Owen, seniors played. He believed in paying your dues. All the time there where seniors who played over more talented juniors and sophomores. that meant something to him. Maybe guys would lose their starting jobs as the season went on, but seniors always got the first shot. And believe me we were not committing nearly as much time and effort to football as you guys are now. Over time, and under different coaching regimes, that changed. Not saying it's all a bad thing, but when you have guys paricipating in this neverending parade of off-season work-outs, giving up other sports, giving up summer plans, jobs, etc. to pursue football, only to learn that their senior year they will be lucky to see the field at all, some feelings are going to get hurt...and, you had better be pristine everywhere else so that when the storm comes you are capable of weathering it.

All I will add is that "back in the day," under Coach Owen, seniors played. He believed in paying your dues. All the time there where seniors who played over more talented juniors and sophomores. that meant something to him. Maybe guys would lose their starting jobs as the season went on, but seniors always got the first shot. And believe me we were not committing nearly as much time and effort to football as you guys are now. Over time, and under different coaching regimes, that changed. Not saying it's all a bad thing, but when you have guys paricipating in this neverending parade of off-season work-outs, giving up other sports, giving up summer plans, jobs, etc. to pursue football, only to learn that their senior year they will be lucky to see the field at all, some feelings are going to get hurt...and, you had better be pristine everywhere else so that when the storm comes you are capable of weathering it.

I am long removed from MBA, but my experience was as you describe it. The amount of time the boys put in these days is unbelieveable. I agree that seniors should get the first look but I also believe that nothing should be guaranteed and that the best players should play. I only played special teams as a senior and would love to have played more, but was still happy to be a part of some good teams and enjoyed my expereince.