D-B and South as one

South is about 70 students away from 4A. And probably about 350 away from 3A. You could be right Jack. But it would seem pointess for the City to own a high school and run it at 1/3 capacity. But maybe the City expects the South side to grow dramatically in the next 5 years. What do you think?

Not just the South side, but all of Kingsport. The clearing of the Legion Pool and the old C.A. building is not that far away to make room for a DB expansion. Thats why I think South will become a 3 or 4 A school. I think they'll give the parents a choice as to where they want to send their kids "up to a point". I don't think you'll see many who are in the city now choose to go to South. Many reasons why I think that.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not just the South side, but all of Kingsport. The clearing of the Legion Pool and the old C.A. building is not that far away to make room for a DB expansion. Thats why I think South will become a 3 or 4 A school. I think they'll give the parents a choice as to where they want to send their kids "up to a point". I don't think you'll see many who are in the city now choose to go to South. Many reasons why I think that.

If this happens, the city will give the students in the South district the option to stay in there school system just like they have with the rock springs area. But many will choose to go ahead and transfer because of the facilities and the opportunities to have bigger and better programs. I see many of the band people leave to become a part of the largest band in the State of Tennessee. And the sports players to have the awesome sports facilities that we currently offer. Other than that, we will still have the parents and students who just hate us and everything we stand for. Oh well, we can't all be perfect.Lol. Roll Tribe Roll!!!!!!!!!!!

If this happens, the city will give the students in the South district the option to stay in there school system just like they have with the rock springs area. But many will choose to go ahead and transfer because of the facilities and the opportunities to have bigger and better programs. I see many of the band people leave to become a part of the largest band in the State of Tennessee. And the sports players to have the awesome sports facilities that we currently offer. Other than that, we will still have the parents and students who just hate us and everything we stand for. Oh well, we can't all be perfect.Lol. Roll Tribe Roll!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the funny thing, being part of the city now means they would get a say. Should a South that is part of Kingsport City scream that they need the same sports facilities as DB? Absolutely. Will it happen....really hard to say. More than likely you will see classrooms and classes up to par with the city. As far as who goes where, I can also see South losing students and DB gaining some, and students out of the city limits set off to Central or North. It'll be interesting to see what happens, but most cities want their schools to have the same.

Well, FB, I don't take this as a personal vendetta by the City to tame the Rebels and take away their heritage and destroy the Rebel flag and what it signifies to Southers. And I don't think that in the long run that all of this will be bad for The Heights. But that is how most Southers feel. Not many in the Heights can see the benefit from all this. The GrandFathers of the Heights can confidently say..."I told you so". Because incorporation was the political platform of the late 70's and most people of the Heights were scared of the direction that would have dictated. In retrospect, it was our fatal mistake. The bulk of South's talent comes from the Rock Springs and the Miller Perry district. But, as well, some of South's most prolific athletes have come from the Sullivan West district. Stacy Carter and Bradley Davenport come to mind. So, yes, South will be split up. Central will get a piece and Sullivan West will retain 75% of their composition...and of course the City will get their share. No doubt South's competitiveness will be affected. The City will argue that most new construction and expansion within the city limits will be within the South district in the very near future. I know people that disagree with that. I'm inclined to see that as an inevitability. How I view it personally is that in 1976 I was 20 years old and an advocate of incorporation. What did I know? And of course, now we know that it would have been the best business decision the people in the Heights could have made. The rest will play out.

Aaahh, nobody wants to talk politics. They just want to see a few good fights before the preseason begins. They want to hear someone say how South will win it all this year so they can hear Jack reiterate...44-0.

Yea Really.....It's about that time of the year when you Southers start "Jackin' that Jaw"

Well, FB, I don't take this as a personal vendetta by the City to tame the Rebels and take away their heritage and destroy the Rebel flag and what it signifies to Southers. And I don't think that in the long run that all of this will be bad for The Heights. But that is how most Southers feel. Not many in the Heights can see the benefit from all this. The GrandFathers of the Heights can confidently say..."I told you so". Because incorporation was the political platform of the late 70's and most people of the Heights were scared of the direction that would have dictated. In retrospect, it was our fatal mistake. The bulk of South's talent comes from the Rock Springs and the Miller Perry district. But, as well, some of South's most prolific athletes have come from the Sullivan West district. Stacy Carter and Bradley Davenport come to mind. So, yes, South will be split up. Central will get a piece and Sullivan West will retain 75% of their composition...and of course the City will get their share. No doubt South's competitiveness will be affected. The City will argue that most new construction and expansion within the city limits will be within the South district in the very near future. I know people that disagree with that. I'm inclined to see that as an inevitability. How I view it personally is that in 1976 I was 20 years old and an advocate of incorporation. What did I know? And of course, now we know that it would have been the best business decision the people in the Heights could have made. The rest will play out.

I personally feel bad for the south fans. Clearly their best days are behind them and they will slowly slip into obscurity. Kingsport will continue to eat into their athletes one city block at a time until they are relagated to playing 2A ball and traveling to roan mountain for games. I can see the cow pattie contests now over at the valley trying to raise money for cleates and pads. Sad sad days ahead. :(

I personally feel bad for the south fans. Clearly their best days are behind them and they will slowly slip into obscurity. Kingsport will continue to eat into their athletes one city block at a time until they are relagated to playing 2A ball and traveling to roan mountain for games. I can see the cow pattie contests now over at the valley trying to raise money for cleates and pads. Sad sad days ahead. :(

Sad sad days indeed....but they've never been very happy over there.