Briarcrest and Houston Baseball Fight Video

CantBstopped

Wrong ...wrong...and just plain wrong. It pains me sometimes to read some of the BS that people who think they know the rules and then quote them here. No where in the FED rulebook does it state that a runner must avoid contact.

By the way...what you stated is wrong.

From the FED Rulebook

SLIDE OR AVOID

A runner is out if the defense is playing on him and (1) he does not slide legally, causing illegal contact or thus alters the actions of a fielder in the act of making a play; or (2) on a force play when he slides he does not slide in a direct line between the bases. Penalty: Interference. The ball is dead, and both the runner and the batter-runner are out.

Note 1: A runner on a force play may slide away from the fielder to avoid interference.

Note 2: The runner establishes his base path as a direct line between his position and the base to which he must go.

Note 3: The runner is never required to slide. If he does slide, it must be legal. If he does not slide, he must avoid interfering with the play.

Note: The OBR has no such rule.

Legal slide: A legal slide may be either head first or foot first. In a foot-first slide one leg and buttock must be on the ground. The runner must be able to reach the base with either a hand or a foot.

Illegal slide: The runner may not use a rolling, cross-body, pop-up, or leg thrashing slide if he makes contact or alters the play. A raised leg must be no higher than the fielder’s knee when he is standing. The runner may not slide beyond the base and make contact or alter the play. The runner may not attempt to injure the fielder.

I personally don't have a problem with what the runner did. It's simply against the rules. If the Houston players would not have charged into the situation the ump would have ejected the runner and called him out. Play would have resumed. I ran over the catcher once in HS and was ejected and called out. Both the catcher and I got up, dusted off and walked away. No words. No problems. It's difficult to avoid a collisiion when the catcher runs up the line to catch the ball(especially when you were a middle linebacker during fooball season). The fielder always has the right to catch the ball.

You are correct, it doesn't specically say "avoid contact". There will always be some contact that cant be avoided on leagal slides. There was nothing legal about this slide/non slide.

Edited by bobmob

1. Catcher is at minimum 5 feet up the line. Is that even considered blocking the plate?

2. Don't blame the runner for being annoyed for the catcher doing a leg thrust in his stomach. There was no need for that.

3. The whole situation could have been avoided if the 3rd baseman hadn't stormed down the line and took the player out.

Had a similar situation happen this year, with the exact opposite reaction taking place, and was told by 4 TSSAA umpires on site that the distance the catcher is from home is irrelevant if there is a collision/close play. My biggest problem is not the 3rd baseman, its to me what looked like a coach coming from the Houston dugout.

And lastly, I am really hoping that Midtnblu you're not an umpire, because if you don't know that rule you are definitely an ignoramus.

Had a similar situation happen this year, with the exact opposite reaction taking place, and was told by 4 TSSAA umpires on site that the distance the catcher is from home is irrelevant if there is a collision/close play. My biggest problem is not the 3rd baseman, its to me what looked like a coach coming from the Houston dugout.

And lastly, I am really hoping that Midtnblu you're not an umpire, because if you don't know that rule you are definitely an ignoramus.

I did not quote a rule...not sure what you are talking about. I merely corrected a previous post by another member that stated "runner must avoid contact no matter what". The poster replied and agreed that he was incorrect by using the broad statement "runner must avoid contact no matter what".

Please inform all of us as to which rule you are referring.

Unless the BC runner is willing to be tagged out, the BC runner is faced with a blocked plate has two choices. He can:

1. Attempt to slide around the catcher and avoid being tagged, or,

2. Collide with the catcher with such force that the catcher has no chance of keeping possession of the ball.

The catcher looks like he is aware of which option the BC runner will choose. The Houston catcher must do everything he can to brace for the impact and keep the ball in his glove.

THAT is BASEBALL, everything else is a bunch of stupidity.

You need to get a NFHS baseball rulebook.

The catcher, by rule, cannot "block" the plate without the ball. If the throw is even on the way to the plate, the catcher must have possession of the ball in order to even make an attempt at blocking the runner; so, in actuality, the catcher was guilty of obstruction, the runner was guilty of malicious contact. Testy situation at best for the umpires because the runner could have been allowed to score his run for the obstruction call and then been ejected from the game for the malicious contact OR the runner is merely called out AND ejected. The umpires apparently did all they could; I see the fieldd umpire backing away in the video; he should have been writing ##'s down for later ejections, altho his pen probably would have run out of ink first.