Alcoa Men's BBall Coach Opening?

MMcCroskey

The rumor is true. Former UT Associate Head Coach Tony Jones will pilot the Alcoa squad in 2011. I think this is HUGE as Coach Tony Jones was one of the top assistants in all of the NCAA. How Alcoa got him? Who knows. But, Coach Tony Jones will have this team, a 23-7 team from a year ago, ready to go this winter. Alcoa is a MUST watch team for post-season play due to this hire. Good luck!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rumor is true. Former UT Associate Head Coach Tony Jones will pilot the Alcoa squad in 2011. I think this is HUGE as Coach Tony Jones was one of the top assistants in all of the NCAA. How Alcoa got him? Who knows. But, Coach Tony Jones will have this team, a 23-7 team from a year ago, ready to go this winter. Alcoa is a MUST watch team for post-season play due to this hire. Good luck!

I hope Alcoa enjoys the spotlight of hiring a SEC assistant for a couple years...bc then he is leaving for a college job after the NCAA is done with him and Bruce. People are delusional if they think he is staying for the long haul.

Good luck

I hope Alcoa enjoys the spotlight of hiring a SEC assistant for a couple years...bc then he is leaving for a college job after the NCAA is done with him and Bruce. People are delusional if they think he is staying for the long haul.

Good luck

I agree with King21 and Knoxbball88... This is a great hire but I don't think he'll stay long because he really wants a college job.. But he's stated plenty times before that he loves East Tennessee so you never know he may be here for a long time..

It will be interesting to see how long Coach Tony Jones is with the Alcoa program. He has always seemed very loyal (or he would have left Coach Pearl many times), so I do think he may be in it for a while. But, he IS one of the best assistants in the NCAA and he was drawing national attention before all the fiasco last year and even better when he coached the Vols during Pearl's suspension. It will be interesting to say the least, but I think the area should enjoy a great personality and coach for as long as they can.

Come on guys. That 'show cause' albatross hanging around their necks made all of Pearl's staff take lesser jobs than they are qualified for. Are you kidding me? Two of the at a JUCO and one at Alcoa because that's where they WANT to be? That's where they have to be for the time being. If it's for the long haul it's because their reputations are tarnished.

It will be interesting to see how long Coach Tony Jones is with the Alcoa program. He has always seemed very loyal (or he would have left Coach Pearl many times), so I do think he may be in it for a while. But, he IS one of the best assistants in the NCAA and he was drawing national attention before all the fiasco last year and even better when he coached the Vols during Pearl's suspension. It will be interesting to say the least, but I think the area should enjoy a great personality and coach for as long as they can.

Boston University came very close to hiring him two years ago.

The two main culprits of the whole UT basketball mess, Pearl and Jones, are going to get a show cause penalty and be banned from Coaching in the NCAA for probably two years...that's what I think is going to happen. Jones didn't have many options....what a fall, from top 20 SEC program to coaching high school in East TN, and not even a top program at that, as far as I know. I mean who in the entire state knows anything about Alcoa Basketball besides the people in that area of East TN. Make no mistake about it this is a unbelievably HUGE step down.

Alcoa FB is another story now. Jones is not only playing second fiddle to the Alcoa FB program but not even in the ball park as far as appeal, tradition and BIG TIME winning at the highest level of High School. Alcoa FB is a dynasty.

Dude, it's an enormous step down not matter what high school program in Tennessee he was coaching. Even West Tennessee...............Well, maybe Tiger High.

Everybody knows it's an enormous step down, goes without saying....but Alcoa, I mean well nuff said.

Jones, a man of questionable character, doesn't haven the heft or basketballs to lead a program on the level of Tiger High. Jones played a larger role than some might think in the downfall of the UT basketball program. Maybe swiper boy can step in and lead the Vawls to the promise land, but first he has to prove he can actually compete at the SEC level...I mean swiper boy will be one of the top players on the Vawls, which doesn't say much. Maybe Martin can be the one to get something out of him the Necklace never could.

I like Martin, I will be pulling for him to succeed in what is going to be a tough two or three years. I predict right now the fans will start turning on him once SEC play starts. It's almost a given.