AC vs. CAK

Space3

CAK had an astounding offense last night, but whats new? Everybody knew Rusty would have the O firing on all cylinders. WHY ARENT YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT THE DEFENSE? They had one returning starter, and I think I speak for everybody when I said we weren't expecting very much out of them. But my goodness, they had something like 5 take-aways and only gave up 21 points against a well established AC offense. Sure you could say it was rust on the part of AC, but the bottom line is that CAK took it away when they needed to and they kept AC out of the endzone.

Now before everybody starts jumping on the CAK-is-going-to-bea-Alcoa bandwagon remember this, hardly any of these kids have played against a team like that. There was close to no pass rush in last nights game, and everybody knows that Alcoa knows how to get to the qb. The CAK defense played well last night, but they need have to improve a lot before the 10th game in order to win. Alcoa minimizes mistakes which means they don't turn the ball over.

Anyways, CAK had an impressive start to the season last night. Keep it up Warriors!

Glad you raised the topic about the CAK defense. I was extremely proud that they were able to hang in there long enough to get the victory against a dangerous offensive scheme like AC's. I knew way too much about our defense and personnel going into this game to feel comfortable. I wasn't confident we could slow them down, much less stop them. We played a bunch of inexperienced players last night along with 1 experienced linebacker (who laid an ESPN Top 10 style hit last night to go along with 2 INT's). That type of play will help establish amongst all the young pups what it takes to win. While nobody is going to mistake this Warrior defense for a shut down unit, at least not yet, they actually performed better than I expected. They should continue to improve, especially when they get the DL (Powers #75) back in a couple weeks. Congratulations to the defensive coaches for a great scheme and to the players for executing it. Now we've got to heal up quickly and get ready for yet another team whom we really do not know much about.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you raised the topic about the CAK defense. I was extremely proud that they were able to hang in there long enough to get the victory against a dangerous offensive scheme like AC's. I knew way too much about our defense and personnel going into this game to feel comfortable. I wasn't confident we could slow them down, much less stop them. We played a bunch of inexperienced players last night along with 1 experienced linebacker (who laid an ESPN Top 10 style hit last night to go along with 2 INT's and a fumble recovery). That type of play will help establish amongst all the young pups what it takes to win. While nobody is going to mistake this Warrior defense for a shut down unit, at least not yet, they actually performed better than I expected. They should continue to improve, especially when they get the DL (Powers #75) back in a couple weeks. Congratulations to the defensive coaches for a great scheme and to the players for executing it. Now we've got to heal up quickly and get ready for yet another team whom we really do not know much about.

Phixed

You cant beat anybody with 7 to's, period. Offence moved the ball well, we also had over 400 yds of offence, just kept turning it over. That will get better, I hope. As for the defence. we have a long way to go. We have to get out of the 3 man front, no pressure at all. Lot of work to do on pass coverage and 1 on 1. With 2 sophomores at corner the whole 2nd half, that certainly didnt improve. The 22 got picked on in his debut, but he will learn from it. Not the best match up to start your high school career as a very young cornerback. He'll make up for that. Best thing he done all night was a couple of decent kick off returns. We will adjust and come out better against Grace. Congrats to CAK on a solid performance.

HOOK EM' HORNS GO MAVERICKS!!!!!!!!!

You cant beat anybody with 7 to's, period. Offence moved the ball well, we also had over 400 yds of offence, just kept turning it over. That will get better, I hope. As for the defence. we have a long way to go. We have to get out of the 3 man front, no pressure at all. Lot of work to do on pass coverage and 1 on 1. With 2 sophomores at corner the whole 2nd half, that certainly didnt improve. The 22 got picked on in his debut, but he will learn from it. Not the best match up to start your high school career as a very young cornerback. He'll make up for that. Best thing he done all night was a couple of decent kick off returns. We will adjust and come out better against Grace. Congrats to CAK on a solid performance.

HOOK EM' HORNS GO MAVERICKS!!!!!!!!!

Well said. The good news IMO is that AC won't see another passing team like CAK except maybe in inter-squad practice. I would expect AC will match up a lot better with most other teams on their schedule. It will be interesting to see how the Grace match up comes out. Best of luck to AC the rest of the way!

Glad you raised the topic about the CAK defense. I was extremely proud that they were able to hang in there long enough to get the victory against a dangerous offensive scheme like AC's. I knew way too much about our defense and personnel going into this game to feel comfortable. I wasn't confident we could slow them down, much less stop them. We played a bunch of inexperienced players last night along with 1 experienced linebacker (who laid an ESPN Top 10 style hit last night to go along with 2 INT's). That type of play will help establish amongst all the young pups what it takes to win. While nobody is going to mistake this Warrior defense for a shut down unit, at least not yet, they actually performed better than I expected. They should continue to improve, especially when they get the DL (Powers #75) back in a couple weeks. Congratulations to the defensive coaches for a great scheme and to the players for executing it. Now we've got to heal up quickly and get ready for yet another team whom we really do not know much about.

Good thing that linebacker you mention gets his athletic ability from his mother. :popcorneater:

Well said. The good news IMO is that AC won't see another passing team like CAK except maybe in inter-squad practice. I would expect AC will match up a lot better with most other teams on their schedule. It will be interesting to see how the Grace match up comes out. Best of luck to AC the rest of the way!

I thought AC would be able to slow down a passing team. Doesn't AC's defense practice against a passing offense everyday?

AC#22 Yea It is not going to happen against 95% of teams to turn over the ball 7 times and come out with a win would be a miracle. I do agree this is a very young team and Congratulations to CAK for playing great ball. AC defense again being so young will have to work on it until they get it right and grow into men quickly as it appears this year there are no really weak teams in the conference. After it is all said and done, AC did play a good game for their youth and to start with a new quarterback but no time to dwell on the lose. Move on learn from mistakes and win.

92, we do practice against a passing offence. Thats not just any offence they seen Thursday. I think it was up in the air how this young bunch was going to respond. They would give a long drive up and then another turnover and they were right back out there. They were on the feild too much for their first outing. We'll get it fixed though, dont you worry dragon. Im sure the Mavs and the Dragons will be firing on all cylinders by Oct 28. I know the 22 will get it fixed, he said he never seen such disciplened route running before. Lol, I said Vance, that was your first start!!!!! Theres more where that come from Im sure. LOL.

HOOK EM' HORNS GOT TO GET BETTER AC!!!!!!!

92, we do practice against a passing offence. Thats not just any offence they seen Thursday. I think it was up in the air how this young bunch was going to respond. They would give a long drive up and then another turnover and they were right back out there. They were on the feild too much for their first outing. We'll get it fixed though, dont you worry dragon. Im sure the Mavs and the Dragons will be firing on all cylinders by Oct 28. I know the 22 will get it fixed, he said he never seen such disciplened route running before. Lol, I said Vance, that was your first start!!!!! Theres more where that come from Im sure. LOL.

I think a lot of AC defense issue is what you have said AC#22 is the pass rush. As soon as I turned on the game MYVLT on the net I saw that. I am not sure what type of defense does this. Maybe waiting on the QB to make a mistake or what. I am not sure. Vance and the rest were the ones under pressure. I know AC will not play too many teams like this season long and if anything this was good experience both defense and offense. But the offense really did row for AC just the dang turnovers. But it all gets back to pass rush. If you do not get a rush on the QB I am not sure but this just turned out to be good practice for CAK QB. And when you get a rush on cover the corners or the QB will be down field. Whatever the reason(s) are the Mavs played well for the circumstances and so did Vance. This reminded me of the first game with Clinton 2009, the mavs did almost the same thing. But come playoffs the Mavs were clicking.

I wasn't surprised that CAK won as much as I was by the score. But then again, with 7 turnovers ....it probably could have been worse.