AC vs. CAK

Space3

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS DEFENSE SHOULD BE FINE.. THEY FACE THE BEST AND MOST EFFICIENT PASSING TEAM IN THE AREA EVERYDAY IN PRACTICE. IF AC CANT CONTROL THE GAME CLOCK AND RUN THE FOOTBALL IT COULD BE A LONG NIGHT.

Cak is good. Told ya they could play ball

... smart pick on my part.

Edited by polkalumn01

I knew CAK offense would be good but with my pick I was banking on ACs defense to be a lot better....they couldn't tackle. Then AC starts running nothing but swing plays and screen passes....I know this was the only thing working but they better figure out something that gets the ball down field...i know the screen pass was but teams in this region will figure that out quick...AC QB showed signs of brilance but he look nervous and uncomfortable...that will change with more time In the back field...great arm strength

I knew CAK offense would be good but with my pick I was banking on ACs defense to be a lot better....they couldn't tackle. Then AC starts running nothing but swing plays and screen passes....I know this was the only thing working but they better figure out something that gets the ball down field...i know the screen pass was but teams in this region will figure that out quick...AC QB showed signs of brilance but he look nervous and uncomfortable...that will change with more time In the back field...great arm strength

True to form, CAK looked very polished offensively. I was really impressed with their size up front (although AC's lack of pass rush helped). I think Alcoa will be their only belmish again this year, assuming their defense can hold up.

It's obvious that Hodge doesn't have the same arm or accuracy as Tanner Williams (tough to replace a talent like that), but it is early, and there is a LOT of football left to play. I think AC will be forced to throw a lot of short passes this year. The turnovers and penalties will work themselves out as the season progresses, but a couple of other things did stand out to me. Obviously defense was a problem for AC. It'll be interesting to see how they perform against a team that runs the ball more. The Mavericks don't appear to have a lot of size up front, and they got absolutely no pass rush against CAK (I don't even know if they got a hand on High while he was in the pocket). Outside of Sufferidge, there isn't a lot of speed on this team. The direct snap really caught CAK off-guard a number of times, but I wonder how effective that will be later on against better defenses, especially now that the cat is out of the bag.

The weather delay was horrible timing for AC (just after they cut it to a one TD game), so I wonder how much that played into the result, but CAK ultimately deserved to win this game. I still think AC will be a playoff team, with a little bit of seasoning.

True to form, CAK looked very polished offensively. I was really impressed with their size up front (although AC's lack of pass rush helped). I think Alcoa will be their only belmish again this year, assuming their defense can hold up.

It's obvious that Hodge doesn't have the same arm or accuracy as Tanner Williams (tough to replace a talent like that), but it is early, and there is a LOT of football left to play. I think AC will be forced to throw a lot of short passes this year. The turnovers and penalties will work themselves out as the season progresses, but a couple of other things did stand out to me. Obviously defense was a problem for AC. It'll be interesting to see how they perform against a team that runs the ball more. The Mavericks don't appear to have a lot of size up front, and they got absolutely no pass rush against CAK (I don't even know if they got a hand on High while he was in the pocket). Outside of Sufferidge, there isn't a lot of speed on this team. The direct snap really caught CAK off-guard a number of times, but I wonder how effective that will be later on against better defenses, especially now that the cat is out of the bag.

The weather delay was horrible timing for AC (just after they cut it to a one TD game), so I wonder how much that played into the result, but CAK ultimately deserved to win this game. I still think AC will be a playoff team, with a little bit of seasoning.

Nice assessment Buckeye. CAK is big up front overall in the Oline. I've been telling people that when it comes to pass blocking, Mark Bradley and Jarvis Reado are cream of the crop coaches. All 5 OL starters last night were first time starters. The center played quite a bit last year, but none of the other players played even a snap of varsity ball last year, but they sure didn't show it last night. The expectations of the QB at CAK are "High" but he showed that he can deliver. It doesn't hurt having those receivers he is throwing to either, as good as any around IMHO. I agree the turnovers and rain delay were all in CAK's favor but I still believe CAK was the better team. AC is going to be fine against most people they play. I know people like to see more of a vertical passing game, and I don't disagree, but make no mistake about it, all those bubble screens and backside screens and tunnel screens put a world of pressure on a defense. AC had a hard time with verticals when CAK was in Man Coverage, but they had a little more success when we were in Zone. Overall, I think AC will still be very good, just a tough draw for both teams last night, and somebody had to lose. Fortunately for my Warriors, it wasn't us. Good luck to the Mavs the rest of the way, except when they play my boys at Powell.

Nice assessment Buckeye. CAK is big up front overall in the Oline. I've been telling people that when it comes to pass blocking, Mark Bradley and Jarvis Reado are cream of the crop coaches. All 5 OL starters last night were first time starters. The center played quite a bit last year, but none of the other players played even a snap of varsity ball last year, but they sure didn't show it last night. The expectations of the QB at CAK are "High" but he showed that he can deliver. It doesn't hurt having those receivers he is throwing to either, as good as any around IMHO. I agree the turnovers and rain delay were all in CAK's favor but I still believe CAK was the better team. AC is going to be fine against most people they play. I know people like to see more of a vertical passing game, and I don't disagree, but make no mistake about it, all those bubble screens and backside screens and tunnel screens put a world of pressure on a defense. AC had a hard time with verticals when CAK was in Man Coverage, but they had a little more success when we were in Zone. Overall, I think AC will still be very good, just a tough draw for both teams last night, and somebody had to lose. Fortunately for my Warriors, it wasn't us. Good luck to the Mavs the rest of the way, except when they play my boys at Powell.

Hard to believe that those 5 O-linemen were first year starters. They completely fooled me. Not only did they look very seasoned, but they really looked great for the first game of the year. CAK definitely was the better team last night. I'm still really impressed with High's excellent numbers.

AC had the same problem last season against defenses that were willing to play man coverage. Just look at the first Powell-AC game. AC hadn't seen any man-to-man coverage to that point (against Mo East, Campbell Co, and Central), and I think it caught them completely off guard. Plus, Powell got a ton of QB pressure, from what I remember. What really turned the tables in the playoff rematch was their sudden ability to mix in a running attack with a number of short passes, rather than constantly going for the long pass.

I'd love to see CAK take down Alcoa this year, and as always, I'd love to see my Panthers find a way to make it to Cookeville!

CAK had an astounding offense last night, but whats new? Everybody knew Rusty would have the O firing on all cylinders. WHY ARENT YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT THE DEFENSE? They had one returning starter, and I think I speak for everybody when I said we weren't expecting very much out of them. But my goodness, they had something like 5 take-aways and only gave up 21 points against a well established AC offense. Sure you could say it was rust on the part of AC, but the bottom line is that CAK took it away when they needed to and they kept AC out of the endzone.

Now before everybody starts jumping on the CAK-is-going-to-bea-Alcoa bandwagon remember this, hardly any of these kids have played against a team like that. There was close to no pass rush in last nights game, and everybody knows that Alcoa knows how to get to the qb. The CAK defense played well last night, but they need have to improve a lot before the 10th game in order to win. Alcoa minimizes mistakes which means they don't turn the ball over.

Anyways, CAK had an impressive start to the season last night. Keep it up Warriors!