Best Players to Come from YOUR SCHOOL

howdoitknow

Fairview Yellow Jackets since 2000

Aaron Cothran-RB-(1999-2002)-2002 Mr. Football Finalist- Only one in school history,All-State, Played at Cumberland

Joe Hudgins-OL-(2000-2003)- State Wrestling Champ (2004) Went on to play at Iowa Central CC and UTC

Bobby Martin-RB-(2001-2004)-All-State, He should of been a Mr. Football Finalist, Led team to Region Championship, Played at Rhodes

Ben Johnson-Athlete-(2005-2008) All-State Safety, Played wherever coaching staff needed and dominated at the safety and WR positions. Made remarkable catch against Camden in 2008 to knock off heavily Camden. Currently playing at UTM.

Zac Beard-OL-(2005-2008)Dominated during Fairview's days as a triple option team. Currently playing at University of the Cumberlands

Hunter Branch-(2007-2010) All-State Returner and Safety, Set every school record for WR during the 2010 season. Will be playing at Austin Peay in the fall, the Govs got a steal with this kid.

Bobby Martin was a great player. I know he did in the Cubs in 2004 when Fairview won the region title in their week ten "Title Game Showdown" in Ashland City. Cubs fans still have nightmares about Jones fumble in the red zone leading to Martin's long touchdown run that was the difference in the contest.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby Martin was a great player. I know he did in the Cubs in 2004 when Fairview won the region title in their week ten "Title Game Showdown" in Ashland City. Cubs fans still have nightmares about Jones fumble in the red zone leading to Martin's long touchdown run that was the difference in the contest.

I left off two important players. The two Cassidy brothers.

Cole Cassidy (2002-2006)- Sideline to Sideline Linebacker, Great Fullback, Played at TTU

Ethan Cassidy (2006-2009)- Little slower than his brother, but more physical force in the middle.

I saw Alcoa play for 35 years plus. Best player I ever saw at Alcoa was Billy Williams. Alcoa doesn't win state in 1989 without him. His catch against Kingston in the seminfinals that year was the best I ever seen. He had 3 guys covering him and leaped up and caught that ball. Kingston had Alcoa beat but Billy Williams saved the day. His game in 1993 vs Florida was one of the greatest games for a UT receiver.

OFFENSE

Benji Rainey

David Sharp

Benny Lay

Ken Crowell

Wesley Duncan

Cain Crowell

Ronald Sharp

Jerry Seiber

Tyler Bell

Jordon Hankins

Randal Hankins

Robert Codgil

Billy Grover

DEFENSE

Gordon McClain

Mason Sharp

Billy Barnes

Chris Gibson

Dakota Crews

Jerry Sharp

Danny Hinson

Wade Perry

Freddy Hudson

Bubba Hall

Terry Thompson

This is from Lewis County just off the top of my head

What about Apple Webster?

I had them on my list with Michael George? I cut and pasted to add others to the list??? Hmmm...........:huh:

List for 2000 - down:

Shannon Mitchell

Albert Davis Jr

Billy Williams

Willie Lundy

Todd Upton

George Parker

Albert Davis Sr

Here are a few more Alcoa High players for the pre-2000 list (there are plenty more I have missed):

Gary Hart (Vanderbilt)

David Davis (Tennessee State, Pittsburgh Steelers, Green Bay Packers)

Tim George (Carson Newman, Cincinnati Bengals)

David Greer (Georgia Tech)

Ned Lidvall (Kentucky)

Mark Love (Tennessee)

Barry Lail

Sam Love

Tommy Wimbley

Terry Whitted (small college in Georgia)

Andre Earls

Mitch Love (Appalachian State)

Richard Mitchell (MTSU)

Chad Smith (MTSU)

Kevin Jackson (TTU) - quarterback of 1989 AA state champions and uncle of Randall Cobb

Jamie Henry (walk on at Tennessee)

Tyris Gilmore (Mississippi State)

Korey Conner (MTSU)

Edited by ChaunceyGardiner

From Greeneville... Dustin Moore- 1994 mr football, 200 meter state champ at about 6'5/230lbs, played at UT with Peyton Manning, and would have played in the NFL if it wasnt for a few mistakes.

I talked with a guy who played at UT while Dustin Moore was there. He talked about what a freak athlete Dustin was, and said that he was one of the most talented players he had ever seen.

Sequatchie County. I can go back about 30 years, don't remember many specifics from about 80-85 that's why there aren't many in that group. I split since it's so long. The year is the fall season of their senior year. I probably forgot quite a few. All-state, playing in college factored in but it's more on what they and their teams did in high school. I started with 25 and had to add a few more.

Jeff Cartwright, LB, 79. Played on Vanderbilt team that beat Tennessee, participated in Seahawks camp. High school team had an undefeated regular season.

Charlie Girdley, RB, 84, I’m told his single season rushing total was the highest by a Sequatchie player until the 2010 season, about 1500 yards, that’s unofficial.

Dustin Griffith, L, 85, Team was 6-4, best record in a few years if I remember right. I think he played at Tennessee Wesleyan right before they ended their program.

Alan Broom, RB, 87, Sewanee. Also a punishing hitter at linebacker despite his size, about 5’8â€, 165. Scored 15 Tds with several called back, sharing carries in the wishbone. Was coaching HS in Georgia last I heard (Ringgold?)

Tony Cates, LB, 87, Air Force/Vanderbilt. 6'4", 215. All-State. Started at center and middle linebacker. His team as a senior beat Marion 34-0. He had the hardest hit I've seen in high school, laid some poor back from Grundy out and sent him into convulsions. Started at both schools including at Vandy, played DE at 230 pounds, and on the Air Force team that beat heavily favored Mississippi State in the Liberty Bowl.

John Barker, WR, 88. 6'3", 180. Likely among the school’s career leaders in catches, still.

Terry Ables, WR-DB, 88, 6'0" 190. All-State, played Division II I believe in Mississippi. All-State, overcame broken jaw, other injuries. Also a very good baseball player.

Stephen Britt, C-LB, 88. 6'3" 220. All-State, three-year starter. Could have played in college but focused on medical degree and career.

Frank Greer, RB-DB, 88, 6'0", 185. All-State, Division III All-American at Sewanee. Team won back to back games vs. Marion County his junior and senior years. He had the game-winning touchdown vs Marion in 88, a 14-13 win.

Robbie Burgess, QB, 89, started most of 88 and 89, back-to-back quarterfinal finishes. 89 team lost in final minute to Kingston, a week before Kingston lost in the final minute to nationally ranked Alcoa. Passed the team to a fourth quarter comeback vs. White County, team trailed 20-0 after three quarters and won 21-20.

Edited by Indian

Creed Swanger, L, 89. 6’2â€, 285, was getting college attention before a severe knee injury vs. Marion (cheap, dirty cut by two players). Team was winning the game at the time behind his blocking. Four year starter.

Dan Tibbs, WR, 89. 6’2†180. Frequent target for Burgess, especially his senior year after Barker and Ables graduated. Made the best catch I’ve seen in high school, diving into the end zone vs. Soddy-Daisy (team won 35-7 or something similar).

Trent Young, TE-DE. 90. 6’7†235. All-State in basketball, football. Had about 50 catches his senior year out of the wishbone offense. Also scored 50 points vs. Whitwell his junior year in basketball. Played football at MTSU, had Division I basketball offers.

Shane Kilgore, FB-LB, 90. 6’0†220. Four year starter at LB, three year starter at fullback. Helped team to 3-1 record vs. Marion, including 1990 when Warriors went on to win AA state title.

Michael Schmitt, WR-DB, 90. 5’10†170. Helped team to 11-2 record his junior, 12-1 as a senior. Has a memorable interception in the end zone on the last play of a 7-6 win over Marion in 90.

Jackie Fletcher, QB-DB, 93. 5’10†175. All-state in football and baseball. Started three years at quarterback and played a lot as a freshman. Dangerous running and throwing, returning interceptions and returning kicks, as some team just punted out of bounds instead of risking big returns. Also started in basketball and baseball, played SS on some very good teams,, signed with UTC in football and played baseball at Chattanooga State.

Michael Rogers, TE-LB, 93. 6’2†220. Three year starter, team lost only to 2A state champ Sweetwater and 3A state champ Marion his senior year. Played at Sewanee and Tennessee Tech.

Shawn Edgmon, FB-LB, 93. 6’0†215. Four year starter. Was Chattanooga All-Area as a freshman when he among area leaders at tackle for loss.

Brent Cates, OL-DL. 6’2†220. Three year starter, got bigger and started in the defensive line at UTC after a year in prep school.

Eric Finch, RB, 94. 5’10†165. Started two years and ran for over 1,000 in each, including 250 in a win over eventual semifinalist Meigs as a junior.

Michael Shrader, L, 95. 6’3†270. Four year starter on DL, played some on OL despite little or no hearing ability. Signed with UTC but did not play there.

Brandon Johnson, RB, 96. 5’7†180. All-State and likely among school’s all-time leading rushers, started four years in the backfield. Some of the records are lost, probably for good. Played at Cumberland and now coaching in Georgia. Team lost in the quarterfinals his junior and senior seasons to good teams from Alcoa and Upperman.

Jason Webster, RB/G/LB, 96. 5’10†185. Started two years after moving in from Whitwell. Began as a running back then moved to guard and earned All-State as a senior, at 185 pounds.

Josh Cain, FB-LB, 97. 6’1†230. Four year starter, three year all-state. Division I-AA All-American at UTC, recording a 30-tackle game there. On UTC’s 100-year, all-time team. Had a tryout with the Bears. In high school was among the state’s leading tacklers three seasons and helped the team to their last playoff win until 2010. Also rushed for close to 1000 yards as a senior.

Derek Summers, WR-DB, 98. 5’11†170. Team record dropped off but he picked up big stats at receiver and kick returner, had at least one 200+ receiving game in a win vs. Grundy.

Marc Bureau, RB-DB, 00. 5’10†160. All-State, helped team to their last winning record (6-5) until 2008. Scored five touchdowns in a win vs. Polk County and had 10 interceptions his senior year.

Jordan Cain, QB-DB, 03. 6’2†180. Two-time all-state, started two years, would have been three if not for a season ending injury in the jamboree as a sophomore. Had a 20-tackle game vs. South Pittsburg, at safety. Was getting reps at WR as a freshman at UT-Martin before another season ending knee injury. Also started in basketball and baseball.

Justin Price, RB-LB, 04. 6’1†185. Four year starter, strong hitter at linebacker. Ran for 200 yards vs. Grundy as a senior in a 38-13 win. Helped team to near-upsets vs. Tyner in 03 and 04. Injured for the year on an extra point vs. Polk as a senior. Had college interest but joined the military.

Curt Bureau, QB-DB, 05. 6’0†180. Started two years at quarterback, saw action as a wide receiver prior. Good runner and passer, helped team score over 50 vs. South Pittsburg as a junior. Threw for over 300 yards in a loss to 5A Warren County as a senior. Played and started at Cumberland at QB and I’m told is coaching in the midstate now.

Bud Christy, WR-DB, 06. 6’0†175. Played three years and started each. Had 5 interceptions in one game vs. Silverdale, at least tying a state record. Also a good receiver and baseball player, pitching and outfield. Played at Maryville.

Lupe Martinez, K, 09. 5’8†150. All-State kicker, had three kicks of over 40 yards in one game with a long of 52. Also strong on extra points, kicking off and in soccer. Had a game winning kick his junior year vs. Cannon County, and his kicks were the winning margins in other games including against Bledsoe in 08.

Hunter Lewis, RB-DB, 10. 5’10†170. All-State in 2010 after rushing for over 1,500 yards, the most in at least 25 years by a Sequatchie player, with a high of 350. Shared the carries with two other backs who each gained about 1200 yards. Also dangerous returning interceptions. Also first SCHS athlete to win a state title in track, triple jump in 2010. Playing junior college football in Kansas this fall.

Here are a few more Alcoa High players for the pre-2000 list (there are plenty more I have missed):

Gary Hart (Vanderbilt)

David Davis (Tennessee State, Pittsburgh Steelers, Green Bay Packers)

Tim George (Carson Newman, Cincinnati Bengals)

David Greer (Georgia Tech)

Ned Lidvall (Kentucky)

Mark Love (Tennessee)

Barry Lail

Sam Love

Tommy Wimbley

Terry Whitted (small college in Georgia)

Andre Earls

Mitch Love (Appalachian State)

Richard Mitchell (MTSU)

Chad Smith (MTSU)

Kevin Jackson (TTU) - quarterback of 1989 AA state champions and uncle of Randall Cobb

Jamie Henry (walk on at Tennessee)

Tyris Gilmore (Mississippi State)

Korey Conner (MTSU)

Excellent list and a great jog down memory lane.

OFFENSE

Benji Rainey

David Sharp

Benny Lay

Ken Crowell

Wesley Duncan

Cain Crowell

Ronald Sharp

Jerry Seiber

Tyler Bell

Jordon Hankins

Randal Hankins