Five Rutherford schools report TSSAA violations

CoachT

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting situation. Having served as an officer of the Oak Ridge Boosters, I say the most surprising thing about the article was the season ticket sales being run by the boosters. Also, there was a lack of due diligence by the principals and athletic directors of Rutherford County to ensure compliance of their booster organizations. Those were the 2 biggest issues, not the coaching supplements, that stand out to me in the article.

Coach T do you know if this is a TSSAA violation...In 08 and 09 the laws changed by the state of TN changed to where you had to make sure you 1099 these payments as in the past they never were they was just paid. also in those years is wehn they started making the booster clubs do more paperwork to show where everything is going.

on the DNJ someone posted that the baseball team should be audited also and I am happy to report that we was turned in by a parent that wasnt happy about a situation with his son so he turned us in resulting in a audit and they was very pleased with what we had done and passed with flying colors but we had several months to make changes and be compliant whereas football had weeks and to be honest there was no way to put all those changes in that quick...and to get all the paperwork straighten out that quick as well

Honestly, I have always known of booster clubs that supplemented head coaches' incomes and never thought it was a violation. Something may have changed about the TSSAA bylaws that I wasn't aware of.

Honestly, I have always known of booster clubs that supplemented head coaches' incomes and never thought it was a violation. Something may have changed about the TSSAA bylaws that I wasn't aware of.

Instead of the booster club giving the coach a check directly, as done many years in the past...you now have to run it thru your school system so they can take taxes out.

I think that is where the problem is. Your correct Coacht, booster clubs have always supplemented coaches pay, just now the state has to have their part.

Edited by Hoganknows

Instead of the booster club giving the coach a check directly, as done many years in the past...you now have to run it thru your school system so they can take taxes out.

I think that is where the problem is. Your correct Coacht, booster clubs have always supplemented coaches pay, just now the state has to have their part.

Nailed it, it's not that the coaches were paid it's how the coaches were paid and who got to touch it while in transit. Maybe we should have used a mule, someone like McGugin! :popcorneater:

Edited by mykidsdad

could this rollover into other sports in the county? maybe next time boosters try a side of beef or some chickens.lol

Football is big business in this state, especially in this county. Every district game I went to drew at least 7-8,000 (minus LaVergne). Im willing to bet if inquiries are made into the rest of the state, they will find the exact same thing. Only thing that is going to happen is that there is now going to be enough red tape to choke a rhino when it comes to giving coaches supplements

I can't understand the witch hunt from the Daily News Journal. Their sports department wins accolades by covering the amazing high school football programs with the county. Yet, in order to sell papers, they start digging up info on how the coaches get some extra money for putting in all of their hard work. Kinda like the dog biting the hands that feeds it.

Football is big business in this state, especially in this county. Every district game I went to drew at least 7-8,000 (minus LaVergne). Im willing to bet if inquiries are made into the rest of the state, they will find the exact same thing. Only thing that is going to happen is that there is now going to be enough red tape to choke a rhino when it comes to giving coaches supplements

yes if they look hard could find it elesewhere too. hope teams are not effected badly and get back normal.

Edited by OHS80