Single A Baseball

FlyingEagle86

None of the pitchers Riverside saw from MTCS were super impressive. They just pitched to contact and Riverside couldn't get base hits.

Gant went 6 struck out 8 and allowed 2 hits against Spring Hill

I know what you mean. They don't blow batters away. But I would take 5 scattered hits and two earned runs over 7 innings nearly every game.

MTCS threw a freshman against them then an inning each for a couple of their more experienced pitchers. Freshman was offspeed pitcher. Did Gant pitch against Spring Hill?

Actually a sophomore started the game and I am pretty sure those were his first varsity innings ever. He went 2 and 2/3rds. In the 3rd inning he hit the first two batters and they ended up being the only runs scored. Followed that with one of our corner infielders. In terms of pitching he is used as a middle reliever and probably threw 20 innings last year. He finished the 3rd inning, then went the next 3 allowing two baserunners -- a hit batsman in the 4th and a fielding error in the 5th. He started the 7th and got the lead-off batter on a fly to CF then gave up 2 hits. With runners on 1st and 3rd, 1 out and the go-ahead runner at the plate MTCS put in one of their district pitchers who got a double play ground ball.

Baseball is a funny game -- it is different from basketball and football. Riverside is a very good team and will win lots of games this year. On Friday night, MTCS played a little better and got the win.

MTCS has 4 returning starters and 1 of them missed most of the season last year due to injury. The other guys have some ability but lack experience.

Well, FCS line up pounded off speed pitching last night. 16 hits in 4 innings over Gordonsville. Several opposite field hits and 3 off the center field wall by Junior pitcher Austin Godwin. Who is throwing harder and better than ever before. He really takes charge on the mound.

I heard Godwin is pitching very well.

I heard Godwin is pitching very well.

Austin Godwin is a beast on the mound. He is definitely one of the best if not the best on the hill for FCS at this point in the season. ALL the FCS players are playing good and hitting well. Expecting great things from these boys if they can keep it up and stay focused.

Austin Godwin is a beast on the mound. He is definitely one of the best if not the best on the hill for FCS at this point in the season. ALL the FCS players are playing good and hitting well. Expecting great things from these boys if they can keep it up and stay focused.

I am still very impressed with how good the catcher for FCS is playing. I can't believe that he has not been scooped up by a D1 college. Last I heard, teams aren't even trying to steal on him.

I am still very impressed with how good the catcher for FCS is playing. I can't believe that he has not been scooped up by a D1 college. Last I heard, teams aren't even trying to steal on him.

It's his size that hurts him, how many D1 colleges have a catcher that's 5'7"? With that said, I think he is a great defensive catcher, probably the best I've ever seen, and his hitting will get much better in college because of the amount of time that he'll be able to devote to it.

It's his size that hurts him, how many D1 colleges have a catcher that's 5'7"? With that said, I think he is a great defensive catcher, probably the best I've ever seen, and his hitting will get much better in college because of the amount of time that he'll be able to devote to it.

Whatever team that looks past his size will be getting a gem of a catcher. I agree, he is the best defensive catcher I have ever seen at the high school level. One thing's for sure, he has a cannon of an arm.

Whatever team that looks past his size will be getting a gem of a catcher. I agree, he is the best defensive catcher I have ever seen at the high school level. One thing's for sure, he has a cannon of an arm.

He does have a good arm, but I feel that his ability to block the ball is his best attribute right now. He doesn't let anything by him. The whole team is playing really good right now and I hope they don't get in a rut at the end of the season

With all due respect, The FCS catcher is a great high school catcher for this league, however factor in physical size limitations and the competition that he is playing against, I see him as a NAIA, D2 at best.

In comparision to some of the catchers I have seen this spring and where they have signed at, frankly he is too small. I like the kid, he plays hard and has mad desire, but it's just not there for D1 ball.

DoyleHargravesConstruction you should come to scout some games with me... not knocking FCs catcher, but I saw 8 this weekend that are better.

Edited by FightinIllini

With all due respect, The FCS catcher is a great high school catcher for this league, however factor in physical size limitations and the competition that he is playing against, I see him as a NAIA, D2 at best.

In comparision to some of the catchers I have seen this spring and where they have signed at, frankly he is too small. I like the kid, he plays hard and has mad desire, but it's just not there for D1 ball.

Then I reckon you and I have a difference of opinion here. Fact is he is good enough to play at a D1 school.