Ezell Harding, why do that?

itzme

Posted by coacht:
Posted by VolunteerGeneral:
Posted by coacht:

Don....That was very well put. I think that`s exactly what I was trying to say, except you did a much better job. Maybe if I hadn`t been back and forth with my daughter`s science project, I could have been so eloquent as you.

VG(who is still monitoring his daughter`s attempt at a paper meche volcano and hoping he will be able to find the kitchen when she is done)

I agree with Don and yet still have the feeling that it isn't right, no matter how we justify it. I still carry the ingrained idea that just plain good sportsmanship should be placed above winning by whatever margin possible. I know the game has changed with the spread, no-huddle, and hurry-up offenses but I think we are losing something that is much more important than the search for excellence on the field. That sense of fair play, or whatever you want to call it, could serve us a lot better as adults than the memories of how well we ran our passing game as teens.

Just curious CoachT...What would you have done differently if you were Ezell? Do you not think they kept the game moderately close considering the difference of the two teams? Do you think the same of Cloudland scoring 62 in the first half against Jellico?

What would you have done differently if you were Ezell? I would do what I have done before- go into the game knowing that the opponent is overmatched and begin substituting as soon as the score is 14-0 or 21-0. Let players I may need somewhere along the line get some time on the field with some starters, etc. But, again, the way the game is played has changed. Maybe the results would be the same, I don't know, but I would know I did what I could.

Do you not think they kept the game moderately close considering the difference of the two teams? I don't know. I've never coached in a situation where I had a team THAT out-matched.

Do you think the same of Cloudland scoring 62 in the first half against Jellico? Yes. Why wouldn't I?

Substitute, run dive right, dive left, let JV kids play in many of the "skill player" positions... ask the ref's to "run the clock" and if you still score, you've done the best you can.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of those threads where the best that will come out of it is that everyone will have their say, no one will change anyone else's mind, but it might help others who read the thread form their own opinions. Lets just be careful to keep it as civil as possible.

I *somewhat* agree that Ezell's trouncing was pretty much uncalled for, but seriously, they probably have one of the best offenses in not only 1, but possibly 2A as well. You know, when you have players that are in 9th grades, they're not going to be thinking "Hey, we are trouncing this team pretty bad, maybe I should slow it down." No, and the thing is, if a 9th grader is going to even take this into account (slowing down), shouldn't that worry a coach more than running up the score? All players must have that winning instinct, especially players that have worked all season, on the scout team, getting mauled by the varsity day in and out, year round. Point is, if you have the talent and ability, though, sometimes it just slips through your hands.

--Kemple

Here`s a nice recap of Cloudland`s game and how they scored. Make your own judgements. Personally I don`t think either team did anything degrading to their opponents, but if you want to be critical of Ezell then let`s hear it for Cloudland as well. These are the two best teams in the state who happen to be playing very inferior opponents. Chakra says their starters were out before halftime. I`m not sure about Cloudland`s since I`m not sure if the kids mentioned in the following link are starters or not.

http://www.coacht.com/boards/thread.cfm?TID=21154

Here`s a nice recap of Cloudland`s game and how they scored. Make your own judgements. Personally I don`t think either team did anything degrading to their opponents, but if you want to be critical of Ezell then let`s hear it for Cloudland as well. These are the two best teams in the state who happen to be playing very inferior opponents. Chakra says their starters were out before halftime. I`m not sure about Cloudland`s since I`m not sure if the kids mentioned in the following link are starters or not.

Look, I don't give a "hoot in heck" about what Cloudland did, or for that matter, what any other team in 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A or 5A did Friday night. This thread is about Ezell Harding, the 1A State Champions for 2001, and that we just expected more of them.

http://www.coacht.com/boards/thread.cfm?TID=21154

They beat everyone last year the same way. I dunno tho Cloudland and Lighthouse might be a close game seeing that ezell only scored onr more touchdown on Lighthouse this year as they did Cloudland Last. :(

jk.

Ezell doesnt actaully have a fullback BTW. And Ezell doesnt run dive plays i may have seen them run 10 dive plays in the last 20 games anyways who does have the state longest winning streak could this attitude of scoring all you can have somethin todo with it. Yes.

Posted by Chakra20:
Posted by robjim:

I don't know the situation in East TN., but that does not change my opinion of how a "champion" acts. The thread is about Ezell and how they performed on this past Friday night.

Id say they performed pretty well.

Like a Champion!

Which is not the way my Vols played against Rutgers. :(

Posted by Chakra20:
Posted by robjim:

I don't know the situation in East TN., but that does not change my opinion of how a "champion" acts. The thread is about Ezell and how they performed on this past Friday night.

Oh yes they did, it was an outstanding victory and one I'm sure you are proud of.

Posted by robjim:
Posted by Chakra20:
Posted by robjim:

Oh yes they did, it was an outstanding victory and one I'm sure you are proud of.

Noone said we where proud of it. you guys have started a thread degrading what they do and have brought up things from recruiting to whether it was the Christian thing todo. Comeon man we knew we could win and we could name the score Guess what we named 71-7. Which last year in the Championship game we scored a total of one less touchdown and i didnt see anyone cryin about that because they felt Cloudland could defend thereselves. If you cant defend yourself why even show up. You werent even at the game and you definatley dont know Ezell. Grow up .

They should have called and forfeited, but guess what ny Monday those kids wont remeber a thing i really doubt they are scared for life they havent won a game in 4 years.

[Edited by Chakra20 on 10-13-02 1:20A]