Signal Mountain to appeal

Rabble Rouser

Again I have had experience with the situation before and if the school had done its homework correctly the issues would not be here. Signal can appeal but I see it as a waste of time. Give you an example of my experience, while in Chattanooga had a student-athlete who lived in the school zone for the school I was at but got a hardship to attend another school. Went there as a freshman and sophomore and played ball perfectly fine because as an upcoming 9th grader he had no athletic record. Next, his Jr year decided to move back to zone school and wanted to play, got it approved by school board and moved schools. When eligibility was entered he was declared ineligible. Appealled decision twice to TSSAA and was denied twice, even had a hamilton county school board member with him the second time to explain the zoning issue. The issue I see with the RB in question is more the athletic record of the student. He must have a bonifide change of address and that address MUST be in the territory of the school. That means school zone not modified zone. Hardships do not change a schools territory they simply allow the student to attend school outside their zone. If it changed the school's zone then basically any student could go anywhere in Hamilton county and play ball without applying to TSSAA to get approved. This would open a HUGE can of worms. There was a simple solution if the player wanted to play at Signal when he left Georgia then he should have movided into Signal's zone and the coaches should have told him that from day 1.

LOL, what you have described isn't even close to this situation. You had a guy get a hardship to attend a different school. He went to that school and played sports. After two years there he decided for whatever reason he wanted to go back to his zoned school. This would be the equivalent of transferring without a change of address and he wouldn't be eligible.

In this case the student did have a change of address, was never enrolled at the school in his zone, but was instead assigned to SM on a hardship. Again this isn't even close to what you described.

You're wasting your time.. Smeagle1 will never be able to comprehend that NCLB and TSSAA are separate. That an HCDE hardship for one player doesn't change the School's zone as established by the BOE. Maybe when this appeal is overturned he'll see the light.

or maybe you and rlh will see the light. Just because you think you're right doesn't make you right. If it did we wouldn't be having this discussion.

It wasn't a parent since Mr. Childress already said it was brought to their attention at the Local Administrators meeting. I honestly don't care who it was I just wish they or the TSSAA would have told us at the same time. :thumb:

It was someone at SM....Parent maybe,,,maybe not...he does not have a kid on the team.....Childress did hear it at a Administrators meeting,and your AD was there and heard everything said at the meeting.....noting was done behind her or SM back :unsure:

Edited by lancer10

LOL, what you have described isn't even close to this situation. You had a guy get a hardship to attend a different school. He went to that school and played sports. After two years there he decided for whatever reason he wanted to go back to his zoned school. This would be the equivalent of transferring without a change of address and he wouldn't be eligible.

In this case the student did have a change of address, was never enrolled at the school in his zone, but was instead assigned to SM on a hardship. Again this isn't even close to what you described.

The part in bold is the most true statement that you have ever made on here... and he still isn't enrolled at the school in his zone!!! That's why y'all are in trouble!

Is your last name McCullough by any chance? His change of address put him in another school zone. The hardship from HCDE was for academic purposes only and does not apply to TSSAA elegibility. How hard is that to understand?

Edited by PurpleGrad

The part in bold is the most true statement that you have ever made on here... and he still isn't enrolled at the school in his zone!!! That's why y'all are in trouble!

Is your last name McCullough by any chance? His change of address put him in another school zone. The hardship from HCDE was for academic purposes only and does not apply to TSSAA elegibility. How hard is that to understand?

The HCDE who by TSSAA rules decides territories. I'm not sure what all the grounds are for issuing a hardship are but I would assume it could be for more than academic purposes, again don't know. My last name isn't McCullough. Yes his address put him in another zone and the HCDE reassigned him to us. How hard is that for you to understand? :roflolk:

It was someone at SM....Parent maybe,,,maybe not...he does not have a kid on the team.....Childress did hear it at a Administrators meeting,and your AD was there and heard everything said at the meeting.....noting was done behind her or SM back :unsure:

Wow, parents get to go to the TSSAA meeting, that's great!!! I can't wait to go to the next one and let them know what their mission says it is, because somewhere they lost their way. :thumb:

The only part of your message that's true is your unsure emoticon. It takes a true Simpleton to fabricate all of this.

this is from LIKEAROCK Thats just it! There is NO issue with the players that live on the mountain. Every time the coach brings in a ringer, a kid that lives on the mountain sits on the bench. THIS IS THE BEAVER. there is a is alot of disapointment for kids that live on the mnt that play. ifeel sorry for them. i am guessing the school dresses about 60 kids or better. all the families should be upset. SM has enough good athletes already in place without pulling people out of zone.how many of those who dress actual hit the feild and the coaches are using out of of zone players.the families at SM should be asking for answers from the coaches and adminstration. my fustration is that some people want to justify recurting out of zone players.

Have been close to this program from day one and have NEVER heard any frustration about out of zone kids. This is a true team of brothers that exemplifies what unselfishness looks like. You may not know what that looks like, but I see it in action everyday, very proud of ALL these boys. Had to be said, now y'all can commence with the crap... :thumb:

Edited by signalbirdie

The HCDE who by TSSAA rules decides territories. I'm not sure what all the grounds are for issuing a hardship are but I would assume it could be for more than academic purposes, again don't know. My last name isn't McCullough. Yes his address put him in another zone and the HCDE reassigned him to us. How hard is that for you to understand? :roflolk:

Oh. I completely understand that he was granted a hardship by the HCDE to attend SMMHS as part of NCLB rules for failing/passing schools. What I don't see is how you think that makes him automatically elegible to play a sport. NCLB and TSSAA are not connected. If the administration at SMMHS had applied to TSSAA for a hardship, it would most likely have been granted and all would be well. School zones are established by the BOE and are not changed on an individual student basis. The hardship is merely permission to attend a school outside of a student's zone. The zone didn't change and I'd bet you any ammount of money that you want to wager that the hardship application submitted by the parents to the HCDE did not include any mention of football or athletic competition. They wanted a better educational opportunity for their son.

Do you realize how many very good athletes live in the zone of failing schools across the state? If a BOE hardship is all that it takes to make a kid eligible for athletic competition.. wow!!!

Yes they reassigned him to SM. they didn't change all of Brainerd to SM territory.Brainerd is Ooltewah territory..........they assign him to go to school not play sports.....how hard is that for you to understand.................. Way did he not go to Ooltewah his hardship didn't have anything to do with them,