Signal Mountain to appeal

Rabble Rouser

The appeal will be ruled upon by the TSSAA. This is not like the legal system where you appeal and it goes to a higher court with different individuals who might have a different opinion or interpretation of the facts. Unless there are facts that are presented in the appeal that weren't in the original investigation I don't see how the ruling will be any different.

Thanks for the clarification. I know the NCAA has a different committee assigned to hear appeals, so I wasn’t sure if the TSSAA had something like that as well.

I agree with you, I don’t see them overturning this.

I really don't believe they will win an appeal with the mistake argument anyway. Schools approve ooz enrollment all the time and it is a procedure that is well documented in the by-laws. A hardship transfer is just another way to enroll an ooz student... It does not change the zone that the student resides in. SM should have disclosed the status of this kid and filed a hardship waiver with TSSAA. If there was indeed a legitimate hardship, TSSAA would have likely approved it.

My post wasn't indicating that I thought they'd win the appeal; I just meant I don't think they'd run the risk of potentiall further review if they thought there were any more problems with their paperwork

I gotta believe that the decision to appeal means that SM is very confidant that this was indeed an isolated error and there aren't other skeletons in the closet. If SM wasn't satisfied this was a one time mistake, the decision to appeal would be a bigger blunder than the original error, and I just don't believe they would run that risk.

Thank you Chattcity I agree completely. I will add that SM must be pretty confident their statement on how the hardship places that student in their zone is being widely used across the state. I will also add it's my guess that if the TSSAA asks HCDE what zone or territory this young man is in they will be told SM as that's where he has been assigned.

Time will tell. But I think it's funny the request for an immediate appeal was requested early today and I've been told they haven't received a response yet. Maybe the TSSAA will wait until after the first round of the playoffs to respond to the request. :roflolk:

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the clarification. I know the NCAA has a different committee assigned to hear appeals, so I wasn’t sure if the TSSAA had something like that as well.

I agree with you, I don’t see them overturning this.

Also if they lose the appeal, they will have to pay all costs associated with convening the hearing

I really don't believe they will win an appeal with the mistake argument anyway. Schools approve ooz enrollment all the time and it is a procedure that is well documented in the by-laws. A hardship transfer is just another way to enroll an ooz student... It does not change the zone that the student resides in. SM should have disclosed the status of this kid and filed a hardship waiver with TSSAA. If there was indeed a legitimate hardship, TSSAA would have likely approved it.

I know your comprehension is very good. So lets be clear here is what Dr. McCullough said “We stand by the information we submitted [to the TSSAA] regarding the student transfer and believe him to be eligible.†This doesn't say we made a mistake. This clearly says we believe what we submitted was accurate.

Here is the million dollar question. Did the TSSAA contact the HCDE to ask what zone this young man was in? After all don't their own rules say the local board of education establishes the territory. Don't know for sure but my guess is if they had contacted HCDE they would have been told SM.

Again time will tell.

Thats just it! There is NO issue with the players that live on the mountain. Every time the coach brings in a ringer, a kid that lives on the mountain sits on the bench.

I agree. Tim seems to be a good kid, who now is going to battered by negativity. I hope this kid gets an opportunity to go on to the next level. Winning at some schools has taken over our children getting a quality education. I hope now these boys who have taken a backseat to these "ringers" get their chance to prove themselves, and enjoy the game. remember though, a lot of these ringers....they are from the mountain. they just came to SM instead of going to the private schools. Hogan Whitmire. case in point.

Smeagle, TSSAA doesn't care what zone HCBE says he is in. It cares only if the house he resides in is within the SM school zone. I can go to the county's web site and input any address in Hamilton county and it will tell me what schools it is zoned for. If TSSAA did contact the BOE it would be to verify that the address listed on the eligibility form was within the schools geographic school zone as stated on the form. Clearly a house in Brainerd is nowhere close to Signal mountain.

I know your comprehension is very good. So lets be clear here is what Dr. McCullough said “We stand by the information we submitted [to the TSSAA] regarding the student transfer and believe him to be eligible.†This doesn't say we made a mistake. This clearly says we believe what we submitted was accurate.

Here is the million dollar question. Did the TSSAA contact the HCDE to ask what zone this young man was in? After all don't their own rules say the local board of education establishes the territory. Don't know for sure but my guess is if they had contacted HCDE they would have been told SM.

Again time will tell.

He can stand by it all he wants, Brainerd isn't in Signals zone by anyone except him. The hardship by HCDE didn't change Brainerd's bus routes and zone geography. I think SM stands a chance to get 2 of the vacated wins back.

I agree. Tim seems to be a good kid, who now is going to battered by negativity. I hope this kid gets an opportunity to go on to the next level. Winning at some schools has taken over our children getting a quality education. I hope now these boys who have taken a backseat to these "ringers" get their chance to prove themselves, and enjoy the game. remember though, a lot of these ringers....they are from the mountain. they just came to SM instead of going to the private schools. Hogan Whitmire. case in point.

Tim is definitely a great kid. He was standing next to the fence prior to the Polk game and greeted everyone one with a handshake and a smile and spoke with my gf's boys. They absolutely have the highest respect for him and seeing his positive attitude made them want to be on the field more than ever.

• Upvote 1

He can stand by it all he wants, Brainerd isn't in Signals zone by anyone except him. The hardship by HCDE didn't change Brainerd's bus routes and zone geography. I think SM stands a chance to get 2 of the vacated wins back.

Looks like they need to pick their battle.