Hardship issue

hunglo

I think I'z finally figgered all this T$$AA stuff out.

I just finished a guvment subsized housin debeliment. It sits right at the intersection of Marian, Sqwachy, and Hamilton County. It's got a adress in each county, dependin on which unit you'z in. Rent's real cheep.

Ain't figgered out what to call it yet. Maybe some of you fellers can help me. Suggestions so far is Hemlock on the Hill, Greenville Acres, and T$$AA Towers. I'z open to suggestions though.

unphotoshopped20.jpg

:roflol:

I am from Nashville and this story intrigues me. What will or should be the punishment be, if it is found that most schools across the state are playing student/athletes with a granted hardship by the board of education they preside in. The coaches I have spoken with all interpreted the rule the same way Signal did in allowing the kid to play. From the questions i have asked and things I have been told by several coaches (more than ten), Signal is by far NOT the only school allowing a player to play who was granted a hardship by the schools board of education.

One superintendent told me many of his colleages believe by granting a hardship to a student/athlete they are allowing that person to be considered a part of that schools territory because that person counts against the school in every category such as test scores and graduation rates. He said he does not believe you can deny a student the opporunity to experience every aspect of being a high school student at a particular school just because he/she has a hardship. Interesting comment and info!!!

Good post.....smeagle1 :unsure:

I am from Nashville and this story intrigues me. What will or should be the punishment be, if it is found that most schools across the state are playing student/athletes with a granted hardship by the board of education they preside in. The coaches I have spoken with all interpreted the rule the same way Signal did in allowing the kid to play. From the questions i have asked and things I have been told by several coaches (more than ten), Signal is by far NOT the only school allowing a player to play who was granted a hardship by the schools board of education.

One superintendent told me many of his colleages believe by granting a hardship to a student/athlete they are allowing that person to be considered a part of that schools territory because that person counts against the school in every category such as test scores and graduation rates. He said he does not believe you can deny a student the opporunity to experience every aspect of being a high school student at a particular school just because he/she has a hardship. Interesting comment and info!!!

I found this quesiton to be quite interesting as well. And with the Federal "No Child Left Behind" laws and regulations which allow students from designated underperforming schools to go to other schools, has the TSSAA actually considered he ramifications of a possible federal law decision trumping a TSSAA rule?

I found this quesiton to be quite interesting as well. And with the Federal "No Child Left Behind" laws and regulations which allow students from designated underperforming schools to go to other schools, has the TSSAA actually considered he ramifications of a possible federal law decision trumping a TSSAA rule?

Aren't you assuming TSSAA has denied a NCLB transfer? All TSSAA has asked is to be notified of such a transfer. When a school joins TSSAA, it agrees to abide by the by-laws. ALL transfers require documentation...period. This arguement seems to center on how TSSAA and SM define school zone. I'd say the best thing to come out of this ordeal is TSSAA will adopt ne policies in language that even those in charge on Signal Mountain can understand.

Aren't you assuming TSSAA has denied a NCLB transfer? All TSSAA has asked is to be notified of such a transfer. When a school joins TSSAA, it agrees to abide by the by-laws. ALL transfers require documentation...period. This arguement seems to center on how TSSAA and SM define school zone. I'd say the best thing to come out of this ordeal is TSSAA will adopt ne policies in language that even those in charge on Signal Mountain can understand.

I really don't know if they have or haven't. However, the way they a interpreting the rules in this case would lead one to beleive they would do the same in that event.

The interpretation they have given is that the TSSAA does not care if there is a hardship of any kind. They suggest this by saying that Hamilton County's hardship allowance does not matter at this point. If the student is not in their designated zoned school they cannot play sports.

So when I ask the question, it's because the interpretation they are using opens them to the possibility. If there is exceptions to that rule they should be spelled out so everyone knows what would constitute a reason for the rule not to be applied. And would reduce disputes like this one has come to be.

Signal Mountain apparently made a mistake on the form necessary, if most of what I read is right. If they did, that is on them, although the punishment may or may not fit the crime. That is not my concern in this thread.

Edited by alt1958

I really don't know if they have or haven't. However, the way they a interpreting the rules in this case would lead one to beleive they would do the same in that event.

The interpretation they have given is that the TSSAA does not care if there is a hardship of any kind. They suggest this by saying that Hamilton County's hardship allowance does not matter at this point. If the student is not in their designated zoned school they cannot play sports.

So when I ask the question, it's because the interpretation they are using opens them to the possibility. If there is exceptions to that rule they should be spelled out so everyone knows what would constitute a reason for the rule not to be applied. And would reduce disputes like this one has come to be.

Signal Mountain apparently made a mistake on the form necessary, if most of what I read is right. If they did, that is on them, although the punishment may or may not fit the crime. That is not my concern in this thread.

That isn't the issue here. TSSAA eligibility forms specifically ask if the student physically lives in the school zone. If the answer is no, then a hardship transfer form must be attached stating the reason for the transfer. TSSAA approves hardship transfers all the time so I don't understand how you arrived at your conclusion that they don't.Signal Mountain indicated on the form that the student lived in the school zone when he did not. TSSAA did not have the opportunity to rule on the students eligibility based on the facts. SM failed to accurately fill out the eligibility forms so your statement that TSSAA interpreted anything is incorrect. The boy was ruled ineligible because his paperwork was misleading and incomplete.

You know, the more I think about it, I believe Barb turned us in. She seems to be the most consistant one opposing us and Greenville may have been in our path to a second State Title. Barb, you must really be scared of our Eagles. For someone without a kid on the field you sure seem to have a bunch of pent up hostility towards the Eagles. By the way, what was the score the last time we played Greenville. Oh yeah, thats right, we never have. So what's your Beef? I know we didn't run up the score on you. How were you cheated and why are you so consumed with seeing us punished?

You know, the more I think about it, I believe Barb turned us in. She seems to be the most consistant one opposing us and Greenville may have been in our path to a second State Title. Barb, you must really be scared of our Eagles. For someone without a kid on the field you sure seem to have a bunch of pent up hostility towards the Eagles. By the way, what was the score the last time we played Greenville. Oh yeah, thats right, we never have. So what's your Beef? I know we didn't run up the score on you. How were you cheated and why are you so consumed with seeing us punished?

I'm not opposing SM, but I don't believe TSSAA is wrong. I am debating policy not support. The transfer policy applies to all transfers...hardship or open zone. If you transfer to a different zone from the one you live in, you either apply to TSSAA for a hardship waiver(which would have applied in this case)or you sit out for 12 months from the date you last participated in HS athletics. I have stood by my opinion that TSSAA is correct in this matter and McCullough is too arrogant to admit he has made a mistake. Perhaps the Board of Control will rule otherwise. Frankly, I could care less whether SM plays football or not. But I know if they overturn this ruling, there will be "mistakes" happening all over the state and TSSAA taking a very hard look at hardship transfers. I know one thing, win or lose, SM better make sure everything they do going forward is squeaky clean. Those boys at TSSAA have long memories.

That isn't the issue here. TSSAA eligibility forms specifically ask if the student physically lives in the school zone. If the answer is no, then a hardship transfer form must be attached stating the reason for the transfer. TSSAA approves hardship transfers all the time so I don't understand how you arrived at your conclusion that they don't.Signal Mountain indicated on the form that the student lived in the school zone when he did not. TSSAA did not have the opportunity to rule on the students eligibility based on the facts. SM failed to accurately fill out the eligibility forms so your statement that TSSAA interpreted anything is incorrect. The boy was ruled ineligible because his paperwork was misleading and incomplete.

barb, this is your opinion and we don't share it and neither do a lot of coaches and administrators across the state. We maintain we filled out the paperwork properly given the circumstances.

My opinion about you is you're just jumping on the bandwagon because you know your Greene Devils road to the state would have to come through SM. Now the TSSAA has helped clear the way for you to get back without as much competition. :roflol:

To me it's clear your purpose for continuing is self-serving and I will say again you have to be the biggest hypocrite on coachT. Your team sits there and has more OOZ players than any other team except Alcoa due to open zoning. I know, I know, they are all legal. Well that's your opinion and it isn't shared by everyone on here either. I personally couldn't give rip about Greeneville and who they have playing or how they got them. I certainly don't waste time getting on every thread about your team and talking about their OOZ players and giving my opinion on it.

Reality is the only opinion that matters is the members of the Board of Control on Thursday. As I'm typing this response I can't help but wonder how many of these members you, yeehaw and blevins have tried to contact to share your opinion. :roflolk:

One last question is Yeehaw you ex because he sure does cry like he has been castrated?

Dont worry smtnfan..you all got this in the bag. Just go plant your flag in TSSAA's front yard. Mercy rule them. You aint got to take this mess from them. They are wrong and yall are right!

barb, this is your opinion and we don't share it and neither do a lot of coaches and administrators across the state. We maintain we filled out the paperwork properly given the circumstances.

My opinion about you is you're just jumping on the bandwagon because you know your Greene Devils road to the state would have to come through SM. Now the TSSAA has helped clear the way for you to get back without as much competition. :roflol:

To me it's clear your purpose for continuing is self-serving and I will say again you have to be the biggest hypocrite on coachT. Your team sits there and has more OOZ players than any other team except Alcoa due to open zoning. I know, I know, they are all legal. Well that's your opinion and it isn't shared by everyone on here either. I personally couldn't give rip about Greeneville and who they have playing or how they got them. I certainly don't waste time getting on every thread about your team and talking about their OOZ players and giving my opinion on it.

Reality is the only opinion that matters is the members of the Board of Control on Thursday. As I'm typing this response I can't help but wonder how many of these members you, yeehaw and blevins have tried to contact to share your opinion. :roflolk:

One last question is Yeehaw you ex because he sure does cry like he has been castrated?

What exactly are these "circumstances" that make this particular hardship transfer different from the hundreds TSSAA processes annually besides the fact that they didn't receive a request for a waiver?

I'm sure there are lot of coaches and administrators awaiting this decision and hoping SM wins as it will make it easier to transfer at will...as far as your comment about Greeneville OOZ players, how do you know how many players from Greeneville are OOZ? I know last year there were 4 or 5. I'd wager there are plenty of schools with as many or more than Greeneville. I'd bet Gatlinburg-Pittman and Sevier County do... I'd say if TSSAA wins this one, there will be a large scale review of eligibility paperwork statewide. I bet every AD in the state is reviewing and verifying eligibility paperwork for upcoming winter sports seasons just to be safe.