Sequatchie Co. vs. Signal Mnt. (Oct.28)

Omniscience

And I would bet that 99% fall in the MAY NOT category. You guys keep it up and I am sure you can keep that 0-1 lawyer of yours busy with libel and slander suites.

If there are others, they probably aren't doing well enough to draw attention. The primary reason for rules is to keep to minimize Coaches and programs that try to get to the top by hook or by crook. Others in the area have gotten caught for breaking the rules in the past. Example: Tennessee Temple. Call up their principal and AD and ask them. Oh wait, they went so far down the rabbit hole in over all deception not only in athletics but other areas as well that they no longer exist.

The point I am getting here is that when you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar, claiming that there are cookie monsters on the loose as a defense doesn't work well.

What was the stuff that went on @ South Pitt in 99? Or was it another year? I can't remember but at sometime you guys had some "issues" yourself.

Edited by realmenwearred

What was the stuff that went on @ South Pitt in 99? Or was it another year? I can't remember but at sometime you guys had some "issues" yourself.

It was something in 2000 that had nothing to do with 1999, with a kid that played a few seconds at the end of some games and no where near a starter or key substitute. It was an ineligible player but not the same kind of thing you have going on. Plus, that was in 2000, not 2011 like you implied. Lastly, you implied that there is something going on NOW and there isn't. Besides, we didn't go around blaming Jasper,or every school in Chattanooga or the entire area. It wasn't even a big deal that year plus we weren't very good. In 2001, we made a semi-final appearance.

Edited by rlh

Remember the TSSAA makes their rules and interprets their rules.

Here is my take on what they are now saying.

In this section it says twelve months from last participation date.

Section 13. Ineligible Transfer Students.

The following transfer students are ineligible for a period of twelve months from the student's last participation date (these provisions do not apply to students who have no athletic record for the previous or current school year):

This is under section 13 and what they hung us on.

b. A student who transfers as a result of a change of residence is ineligible unless (1) the old residence is outside the territory of the new school, and (2) the new residence is both outside the territory of the old school and inside the territory of the new school;

They have clearly said he didn't live in our territory but that only matters for twelve months from his past participation date.

Also just want to put this out there for good measure.

Section 12. Eligible Transfer Students.

Except as otherwise provided in Section 13 below (which I posted above), the following transfer students are eligible:

a. The student has no athletic record in the previous twelve months in any sport sponsored by TSSAA;

b. There has been a bona fide change of residence by the student's parents or guardian. If such a change of residence occurs between school years, the student must transfer at the beginning of the school year to be eligible. If the change of residence occurs during the school year, the student may transfer without loss of eligibility (1) at the time his/her parents change residence; (2) at the end of the next report card period; (3) at the close of the semester or term; or (4) at the close of the school year;

c. The student changes schools as a direct result of re-zoning or reassignment of students by the local school system;

So he had a bona fide move then he was reassigned to SM, which by section 12c, makes him eligible. Except you have section 13b. Question is why do you have section 12c if 13b overrides it? IMO a re-zone redefines the territory because of the bus routs but a reassignment is just that a reassignment and it wouldn't redraw the bus routes. Important to note the TSSAA sees a difference between a re-zone and a reassignment in so much that they put it in their handbook. One last question. If he had lived in Brainerd and played there last year and applied for a hardship and was reassigned to SM as a result, would he be eligible? The answer is no because Section 13a says you must have a bona fide change of address. So again what is section 12c for? I can't see where it would ever apply if section 13 overrides section 12. With that said we had a bunch of ineligible players our first year as they were re-zoned here and the kids didn't have a bona fide change of address. Oh, I guess that goes for East Hamilton as well. I think it even goes for Ooltewah with all their new Brainerd NCLB kids they got this year.

I hope this helps clear things up a little more. :roflolk:

All I know is I am glad Coach Layne understands all these things & has a nice purple whistle that is loud enough to hear all the way to the BORO..... Signal Mtn. should not be able to legally recruit kids from other high schools in hamilton county to come to there school to play sports, none of these single county schools are allowed to recruit, our kids are from here, all of them & every single one of them live inside Sequatchie county. It is very unfair that a school like Signal can legally send Bill Price to Howard High School & ask there top athlete's to play for him & it's all legal & they get to come play Sequatchie, Grundy, Bledsoe which are all single county schools with around 500 kids to choose from, yet Price has 1500 to pick his from????? How can anyone see this and think this is anything but absurd???? & you Signal Fans wonder why people blow the whistle & the waited so it will knock you out of any chance of going to the playoffs, I can see exactly why they waited like they did, you are getting a taste of your own medicine....

All I know is I am glad Coach Layne understands all these things & has a nice purple whistle that is loud enough to hear all the way to the BORO..... Signal Mtn. should not be able to legally recruit kids from other high schools in hamilton county to come to there school to play sports, none of these single county schools are allowed to recruit, our kids are from here, all of them & every single one of them live inside Sequatchie county. It is very unfair that a school like Signal can legally send Bill Price to Howard High School & ask there top athlete's to play for him & it's all legal & they get to come play Sequatchie, Grundy, Bledsoe which are all single county schools with around 500 kids to choose from, yet Price has 1500 to pick his from????? How can anyone see this and think this is anything but absurd???? & you Signal Fans wonder why people blow the whistle & the waited so it will knock you out of any chance of going to the playoffs, I can see exactly why they waited like they did, you are getting a taste of your own medicine....

This message is why getting facts from coachT is a very bad idea. Let me counter a few of the things in your post with actual facts.

1. SM didn't recruit if we had we would have been put under disciplinary action. So you can throw the recruiting out the window even Childress himself said they looked at it. Yet they only found a paperwork error.

2. Even though I answered the recruiting above I will still say Coach Price wouldn't and didn't go to Howard and get athletes. We don't have one kid from Howard starting or playing.

3. Single county schools have the same advantage as every other in the state. You are classified with schools similar in size. You mention three single county schools and I have ranked them smallest to largest.

Bledsoe, the smallest yet the best.

Sequatchie, smaller than Grundy yet better

Grundy, the largest and worst of the three.

4. Signal Mountains enrollment is about the same as Sequatchie which is less than Grundy. we have 1330 kids in the school and over 600 of those are in middle school.

Now given these fact it kinda blows your reason for blowing the whistle out of the water. But we don't wonder why the whistle was blown we know and it's simple. It's because we are winners and whoever did it isn't. They couldn't beat our kids on the field so they had to get the TSSAA to go after us. And the TSSAA appears to have done it eagerly and was only successful because they get to interpret their rules anyway they wanted too.

Remember if you go by how this was interpreted that section 13 overrides section 12 a kid with an athletic record that switches schools as a result of re-zoning or a reassignment is ineligible because they didn't have a bona fide move, as it is requiered in section 13.

Edited by smeagle1

Getting back on topic.

Signal Mountain (1-2, 1-0) at Sequatchie County (7-2, 3-1), 8

Coaches: Signal’s Bill Price, Sequatchie’s Chad Barger

Interesting stats/facts: Both coaches envisioned this as being for the district 7-AA championship and it would have been if not for the TSSAA ruling that caused the Eagles to vacate six wins including a victory over current 7-AA leader Bledsoe County. Signal beat the Indians 42-7 last year but won by a slimmer margin (29-26) two years ago. Sequatchie coach Chad Barger has put together a string of postseason showings since he arrived in time for the 2008 season. He has given the Indians three straight winning seasons, something they hadn’t done since 1995-1997 under coaches Jay Davis and Mike Zeller.

What to watch: All eyes may be on Tim McClendon, the suspended player who should have his eligibility restored in time to play in this game. McClendon, if allowed to suit up, will play at fullback and linebacker and could see some time as a receiver. He also is a candidate for kickoff duties. ... The Eagles don’t roll solely, though, on McClendon’s abilities. They have capable backs in Andrew Price, Zack Bowman and Mitchell Hall and Reese Phillips has led the area quarterback ratings most of the season thanks in part to receivers Will Queen and Jon Patton. Sequatchie has been more willing to throw the ball with Eli Stout but their recipe for success has been to run with Jerry Fain, Shane Yother and Hunter Hudson. When they throw, it has been primarily to Logan Summers and Hudson.

Are you sure about that, son?

Absolute statements are rarely absolutely true.

This message is why getting facts from coachT is a very bad idea. Let me counter a few of the things in your post with actual facts.

1. SM didn't recruit if we had we would have been put under disciplinary action. So you can throw the recruiting out the window even Childress himself said they looked at it. Yet they only found a paperwork error.

2. Even though I answered the recruiting above I will still say Coach Price wouldn't and didn't go to Howard and get athletes. We don't have one kid from Howard starting or playing.

3. Single county schools have the same advantage as every other in the state. You are classified with schools similar in size. You mention three single county schools and I have ranked them smallest to largest.

4. Signal Mountains enrollment is about the same as Sequatchie which is less than Grundy. we have 1330 kids in the school and over 600 of those are in middle school.

Now given these fact it kinda blows your reason for blowing the whistle out of the water. But we don't wonder why the whistle was blown we know and it's simple. It's because we are winners and whoever did it isn't. They couldn't beat our kids on the field so they had to get the TSSAA to go after us. And the TSSAA appears to have done it eagerly and was only successful because they get to interpret their rules anyway they wanted too.

Remember if you go by how this was interpreted that section 13 overrides section 12 a kid with an athletic record that switches schools as a result of re-zoning or a reassignment is ineligible because they didn't have a bona fide move, as it is requiered in section 13.

How bout

1) SM did not recruit, they cheated !

2) Why would he go to Howard they have not one a game !

As far as why the whistle was blown well probably because people are tired of getting beat by a dishonest program if there was nothing there the TSSAA would have said so.And yes the TSSAA is the BIG MAN on campus , sorry !!

Good luck next year

all that matters is that when the playoffs start, signal mountain can go and watch some good football being played. it is amazing how you can turn an obvious cheat into something that sounds "not so bad". here is a statement to live by "you can't polish a turd". this situation is a big pile of it. good luck Sequatchie, hand it to them thunder chickens. if you get bored later on in the playoffs, make the short trip to Greeneville to watch some good football