Clinton @ Oak Ridge

tnchad1980

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Oak Ridge (5-3)
    • Clinton (0-8)

I have a rules question? We ran a sweep last night to Hall, he ran about 60 yards up the sideline. We had a receiver called for a block in the back all the way down at the Clinton 25. Where do they mark off the yards from? I thought it was from the spot of the foul. They marched back to the line of scrimmage and then tacked on another fifteen. That did not seem right to me the foul occurred 60 yards down field. Anybody?

Any chance the officials got the call wrong or signaled the wrong call? An offensive hold/block in the back across the line of scrimmage is always a spot foul.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a rules question? We ran a sweep last night to Hall, he ran about 60 yards up the sideline. We had a receiver called for a block in the back all the way down at the Clinton 25. Where do they mark off the yards from? I thought it was from the spot of the foul. They marched back to the line of scrimmage and then tacked on another fifteen. That did not seem right to me the foul occurred 60 yards down field. Anybody?

I was wondering the same thing ORK. We had a block in the back way down the field, but their was also a flag wayyyyy back down the field that i missed at first glance, which was behind the line of scrimmage for holding. Clinton declined the block in the back way down field and had the holding penalty assessed that was behind the line of scrimmage for holding. It confused me too at first, but that is what happened.

I don't think so, it was an obvious block in the back, I'm not contesting that. I've just never seen it marked from all the way back at the line of scrimmage. There was only one flag on the field and it was 60 plus yards down the field at the 25 where the block happened. Our coaches didn't seem to protest much so maybe there was something else going on that I missed? I think if the yards even with the penalty would have counted Rian would have definately made the all time all purpose yardage record list, that would have put him easily over 300 for the night.

I don't think so, it was an obvious block in the back, I'm not contesting that. I've just never seen it marked from all the way back at the line of scrimmage. There was only one flag on the field and it was 60 plus yards down the field at the 25 where the block happened. Our coaches didn't seem to protest much so maybe there was something else going on that I missed? I think if the yards even with the penalty would have counted Rian would have definately made the all time all purpose yardage record list, that would have put him easily over 300 for the night.

ORK, their was a flag at the line of scrimmage cause i was standing on the hill to the left side of the press box. I saw it. It was hard to spot at first, but i saw it. Their were 2 flags on the play.

Edited by SweetScience

I was there. I don't know why people are suprised we didn't bring 5k to the game after watching it. If coach Kerr can keep kids at Clinton they'll be alright. Stability is the number one problem. Add Camion Patrick and a couple of more and we have a different game. We probably still don't win but it's a completely different team.

ok sweet, I didn't see the flag behind the line of scrimmage, that would make sense then. Have you seen Campbell County at all this year?

CC runs the same type of offense that AC does - shotgun spread, 95% passing. Tuffy Shoupe is a good looking QB, although he has an injured shoulder, and he didn't scramble very much against Powell, when I saw him. He threw the ball very well early against the Panthers. In the first quarter alone, he was 11-12 for 101 yards and a TD (the lone incompletion was a dropped pass). After that, he was just 3-14 for 41 yards, with another TD and 2 picks. CC's defense isn't much.

Space, I think you're right. It was not really a good turnout for either side. I think several things led to this. It was on TV, it was and early start, it was cold and everybody new it would be a blowout. None of those are good reastons to me not to go. You get 10 weeks a year to go to the stadium and support these kids. I wouldn't miss one period.

Clinton is pretty down, I think they're in big trouble at this rate. What did they have, 40 players? Let me ask you this, do you think Clinton has any "good players" that would start for anybody else? I just didn't see much talent at all except for qb and rb, and they're just pretty good, not exceptional.

I will give the Clinton students credit. They came and stayed the whole game and when Clinton scored with 25 seconds left you would've thought they just hit the game winning field goal. I give 'em credit for staying behind their team throughout a long long night of getting

Clinton has several good players on their team. There was some obvious bad calls by Kerr last night. Why woul you try to run outside on a team that is so much faster than you? He is a complete bust, and I'm not sure if you tallied the stats, this may possibly be the worst team in Clinton history. There are some great players on Clinton's, search Matthew Pyke on rivals... You will see how many SEC schools are showing interest in him. Dylan Dotson and Austin Powell are good running backs... We have just been consistently out coached this year.... And I'm not sure if it's going to get any better.

Yeah, I know who Pyke is, do you think you can keep him in the program though? You do have an excellent punter. How many players did you guys bring, it looked to me like about 40 or so.

Is LL still on the sidelines with Josh? I did see some questionable calls from those guys last night. For example, early in the game down 14-0 on 3rd and 11 they ran a lead play right up the middle for a loss of 3. Third and 11 is a makable first down with a simple pass play. But to run it straight up the gut looked like they weren't trying to win but to keep OR from putting up 50.

Then, late in the game, calling two timeouts to score a TD on our JV. I guess I can kind of understand that, trying to avoid the shut out. It could be a small bright for a team that has had not only a long night, but a long difficult year. I do give those kids credit for continuing to show up week after week, practice hard all week, then go out and get blasted on Friday. That's got to be hard on everybody involved but especially the players.

Clinton has several good players on their team. There was some obvious bad calls by Kerr last night. Why woul you try to run outside on a team that is so much faster than you? He is a complete bust, and I'm not sure if you tallied the stats, this may possibly be the worst team in Clinton history. There are some great players on Clinton's, search Matthew Pyke on rivals... You will see how many SEC schools are showing interest in him. Dylan Dotson and Austin Powell are good running backs... We have just been consistently out coached this year.... And I'm not sure if it's going to get any better.

I'm sorry, but you can't completely point the finger at coaching when a team is sitting at 0-9. Outcoached against teams with similar talent (Halls, CC, Central)? Probably. Yes, there is some talent there, but not that much. I mentioned after the Powell-Clinton game that I was impressed with Dylan Dotson (although he did a lot of dancing in the backfield), Austin Powell, and the size of Clinton's offensive and defensive lines. That said, this team still needs a QB, they have little depth, they have a poor defense, they struggle to snap the ball cleanly, and I am completely unimpressed with the talent of those two lines.

Clinton might have the biggest offensive line in the district, but they can't run block, and they fumbled 5 or 6 shotgun exchanges against Powell. Granted, they didn't lose any of those fumbles, but those are drive killers, even for talented teams. Also, it didn't matter if they ran inside or outside against Powell and OR - the offensive line was getting blown up right at the line of scrimmage. There isn't a lot that coaching can change about that.

I agree all the blame can't be put on the coaches but there is something fundamentally wrong when the center has block responsiblility on a backer when he has a nose guard on him.... I would of thought it was player error until I kept seeing it play after play.. If your telling your kid to let a nose guard go and just go after a backer, sometimes even a outside backer there is something wrong with your blocking stragegy, the play is blown up even before your running back gets to the hole espically when playing a D line like oak ridge.

I agree all the blame can't be put on the coaches but there is something fundamentally wrong when the center has block responsiblility on a backer when he has a nose guard on him.... I would of thought it was player error until I kept seeing it play after play.. If your telling your kid to let a nose guard go and just go after a backer, sometimes even a outside backer there is something wrong with your blocking stragegy, the play is blown up even before your running back gets to the hole espically when playing a D line like oak ridge.

I was standing on the hill next to the visitors side locker room. I was impressed with Clinton's size as i saw some of them boys walk by. I kept telling my dad for as big as those guys are, they must be very weak, cause OR was just bullying them at the line of scrimmage. Is OR just that much stronger then them or is it coaching and technique? I find it hard to Believe that a kid from OR that weights at max 220 (Tony Hall) And deron williams are that much stronger then some kid close to 300 lbs. If thats the case, Clinton needs to hit the weights in a bad way.