AAA State

clifford20

Just like the last 5-6 years, the two best teams will be there. Double elimination pretty much dictates that. THe problem with pool play was that a tie in pool play sends someone home that never had a chance to actual play. And if one pool was loaded, it was even worse. I don't see how anyone got a raw deal. I think the three of the best 4 teams are in the same side. SDHS, Siegel and Indy. Farraguts record means absolutly nothing. Look at Ranvenwoods and Indy's losses...don't pick favorites based on how many losses they have...look at who they have played. Can't wait to see how it plays out. Good luck to all.

Yes, after looking at the bracket again, you are correct and the losers are separated in that bracket also. I was wrong in my previous calculating and I appreciate all of you calling it to my attention. I agree with clifford, we just have to wait and see how it plays out. No one seems to have gotten a raw deal or preference. I hope no one thought I was saying it was somehow a preference by someone because it obviously was not.

I will have to give a reason why I think Ravenwood and Indy could move thru their Tournaments so easily. They are clearly the better Schools in their AAA Districts and

Sectionals right now and have been for some time. Ravenwood has not lot a match in Tennessee this year. I believe all of their losses have come from out of State. Indy played their share of matches out of State and lost some there also.But all of this means nothing. The matches will be played on the court.

All schools to some degree have reasons they are there. It looks to me that this group of schools are the best the way they are playing now in AAA.

As a side note, after Siegel had to play Ooltewah in the sectionals, many are saying they have become a much better team than at the first of the year. That gives strength to Soddy's schedule in itself and will make them more formidable to me. None of the schools listed seem to duck anyone. They just enter the Tournaments they always have and play the schools there. Each may have differing opinions as to strength of Districts they play in and so do I but the competition is what it is.

And the last thing is this. This year has been one of the worst years that I can remember for getting someone to post scores on this site for the comparisons I am trying to make in this post. There were just other things going on to emcourage someone not to do it. There were some great reporters out in the State this year.

Edited by PHargis

However, Coach johnson made a point and she is right, In a State Tournament anything can happen. Cj I;m sorry, I overlooked the fact that you did not lose in two but it was three. Either way everyone was surprised you lost and it could happen to anyone. Really has noting to do with the quality of play but more about the momentum of the moment.

The point was made by "Mr. Coach Johnson" and Mrs. Coach Johnson is smart enough to know everyone is 0-0 entering the tournament. You are correct, the

eight teams there are all capable of playing very well and "momentum" could swing either way. Good luck to everyone there and congratulations to each

team for getting there.

Let me clarify what I meant by going back to pool play. I was thinking back several years to when after pool play, all 8 teams were placed into a single elimination tournament, before the first round was taken back out. However, I do certainly understand why this was scrapped as it did create more matches. The current format will almost certainly create a final between the two best teams, but not necessarily that the best team wins. The AA tournament a couple years ago comes to mind. Page beats Red Bank in the winners bracket, then Red Bank beats Page in the final. Both teams lost once to each other in tight matches, so who was the better team? I would like to see a true double elimination format in that case. That being said, I have to agree with the previous poster in that I would be very surprised if Ravenwood even drops a game. So, its probably all a moot point anyways.

On another note, let me give kuddos to the TSSAA for finally seeing the light and not forcing teams to have to play Siegel at Siegel in the state tournament. While I know the venues are limited and they did a great job hosting, no team should be given the advantage of a state match at home. The AAA site could easily be switched depending on whether Siegel or Blackman makes the state field.

• Upvote 1

Let me clarify what I meant by going back to pool play. I was thinking back several years to when after pool play, all 8 teams were placed into a single elimination tournament, before the first round was taken back out. However, I do certainly understand why this was scrapped as it did create more matches. The current format will almost certainly create a final between the two best teams, but not necessarily that the best team wins. The AA tournament a couple years ago comes to mind. Page beats Red Bank in the winners bracket, then Red Bank beats Page in the final. Both teams lost once to each other in tight matches, so who was the better team? I would like to see a true double elimination format in that case. That being said, I have to agree with the previous poster in that I would be very surprised if Ravenwood even drops a game. So, its probably all a moot point anyways.

On another note, let me give kuddos to the TSSAA for finally seeing the light and not forcing teams to have to play Siegel at Siegel in the state tournament. While I know the venues are limited and they did a great job hosting, no team should be given the advantage of a state match at home. The AAA site could easily be switched depending on whether Siegel or Blackman makes the state field.

The venue rotates each year between Blackman and Siegrl. It will be back at Siegel next year.

Can someone school me on how the seeds are drawn or selected?

As for projections, I don't think its wise to say one team is in a class all by itself. There is a fairly large discrepancy in the records that each team is bringing into Murfreesboro. In addition, the competition that each team has played during the regular season varies from region to region. One team's losses may have come against strong competition while another team's wins may have come against not-so-strong opponents, and vice versa. There's a reason they play the tournament instead of just ranking the teams a-la major college football. I will not predict a win or a loss for a team that I have not seen play.

I'm not sure that I agree with deviating from the traditional double-elimination format. In theory a team should have to be beaten twice in order to be eliminated from the field, however the team that comes out of the loser's bracket will have played an extra match once they reach the final match. I think this is a good way of evening the playing field for the winner take all championship contest.

It has been a very exciting season and I've enjoyed following it will all who post here. I think each area of the state is being wonderfully represented by the teams they are sending, and I wish everyone luck and good fortune. I also hope that the fans who attend represent their respective schools with enthusiasm, class, and sportsmanship.

GO ADMIRALS!

Good post admiral...I think 7 of the 8 are pretty close...Ravenwood is a little scary though. Have you had a chance to see them, they are better than last year and they made DB look silly, and DB was unreal? Yikes. About half the teams have probably played each other, so there isn't as much pure mystery. I think the only team I haven't seen is Farragut. I think it will be ravenwood and Indy or SDHS...whoever wins that opening game.

BTW, I am pretty sure it is a blind draw, but I could be wrong...maybe a coach can chime in and tell us.

Edited by clifford20

To me, its the crowd that makes a site an advantage. Many schools bus students in to the venues. In Volleyball, take out the crowd and the travek process IMO there is no difference or very very little except phycologically. the mind does strange things. Such is the reason that Siegel thought its Tournament at the end of the year was viable. To get schools who may not hve been thru the process acclimated. Doesn't have to be coming every year for a senior laded club. Its an advantage for Officials for some of those need the exposure. Siegel plays in Blackmans Gym a number of times during the year as does gym exposure of all BORO teams. Riverdale has a JV enent that certainly gives the teams Boro exposure and guess what. Schools are beginning to figure out the mystique of having the schools in the Boro sometime in their career. Schools play so many Tournaments during the year, home court means very little escept for crowds and while cooperative, the principal at Siegel might do it one time but School is in session. I'm not sure what he would do if Siegel was in the finals, Siegel has never been there.

Good post admiral...I think 7 of the 8 are pretty close...Ravenwood is a little scary though. Have you had a chance to see them, they are better than last year and they made DB look silly, and DB was unreal? Yikes. About half the teams have probably played each other, so there isn't as much pure mystery. I think the only team I haven't seen is Farragut. I think it will be ravenwood and Indy or SDHS...whoever wins that opening game.

BTW, I am pretty sure it is a blind draw, but I could be wrong...maybe a coach can chime in and tell us.

No I haven't had a chance to see Ravenwood. I guess it is coincidence that the Knoxville area team has drawn them in the first round each of the past 3 years.

AG, when you get up this far and most of these schoolos have played each other this year, momentum is the main issue. But as I have posted since August, there is an advantage for the GREAT SCHOOLS thru the State, and you have to admit that Farragut is one of them, to get together and if for nothing else to watch players abilities, coaching techniques and for some Universities to look at the great talent thru the State. There are some real great coaches coming up especially when you consider a young coach from Brazil putting, her hat in the ring in the State. There are no secrets here but why would Ravenwood not be good. Great Coaching, great size, last years Champion. As you know, the match is played on the floor and not on this site. IMO, the first day everything is a tossup. As far a great schools, you can add Sullivan, Soddy and most of the others. This is one of the best fields of schools in volleyball that I've seen in the past 6-7 years. And you can drop down into

AA , A DIIAA and DIIA. There sure is plenty to see as far as players. How that relates to schools and chemistry, It is very hard to tell. Thats a coaches issue.

All these teams are great, thats why they have made it this far. Volleyball is a tournament sport, and as such what a team has done in the regular season and district/region play goes out the window once they clinch that State tournament birth. I would venture to guess that most if not all of these 8 teams are primarily composed of girls who play volleyball all year-round. So these girls have likely seen and/or played against each other whether or not their respective high schools have matched up this year.

All these teams are great, thats why they have made it this far. Volleyball is a tournament sport, and as such what a team has done in the regular season and district/region play goes out the window once they clinch that State tournament birth. I would venture to guess that most if not all of these 8 teams are primarily composed of girls who play volleyball all year-round. So these girls have likely seen and/or played against each other whether or not their respective high schools have matched up this year.

You said it beter that I could ever have. But listening to the banter usally after one of these events, this is for the larger community of the State for the fans and for the pride of the work all of these players have put in to the work they have gone thru. Its likely an acknowledgment or all of the work they've gone thru and the goals they have made and achieved and the sweat and tears that they can now and look back at things they wondered if they could achieve and now they have made it for "Another Chance".They just now have to see how high they can finish.

There are no losers in this tournament, There are winners and higher winners. Its an event that will be remembered the rest of their lives and for underclassmen its somehting for futher goals and aspirations. Its the 2011 State Championship Womens Volleyball Championship for the State of Tennessee.

Edited by PHargis

Announcements