Class 1A

Guest BballFreak

Guest BballFreak

Well i belive that Unaka is gonna take home the gold this year in 1A. I got to go watch the m for the first time this summer, in a fall league over at carter recreation( i believe thats the name). Althought its gonna be a hard road that goes through hancock and tennessee temple, in the end i think unaka will prevail. Temple has Skogans and wadley, Hancock has Seals and Nichols, but Unaka well what ive seen has about 3 or 4 that can just flat out play. I think theyll be better than the dugger cole and collins trio. But this is just my opinion and its early.

Biggest turnaround this year in Class A??? That will go to Forrest High School, a team that finished 6-21 last year, but returns one of Class A's best players in 6'6 F Jamar Jenkins, plus guard Hunter Shankle.....This is a team to watch this year, and possibly a state contender the following year......

Guest knowsitall78

Bottom line!We all know how hard it is to go back to the state tournament.Ask hancock they about got put out early last year.but still they are one of those type of teams thats got what it takes to get back exspecially with players

like seals and nickols.As for unaka they are gonna be one of those surprise teams this year people is gonna be saying they lost alot in dugger and cole but they return chambers

and collins back from the lineup 2 outstanding players to last years state appearance squad look for them to be a team to deal with and teams better come to play when u face them at home.Now for temple defending state champions they have the state mvp comming back as for one of the top shooter in 1A possibly i just dont see who is gonna fill the role in this year like jeron did for temple last year.

because you take him out of the point guard slot then how do u get wadley his wide open shots will they move him to guard or find a new PG.now for my surprise pick!Powell valley may not have looked to sharp last year but they return 5 starting juniors to the lineup thats means trouble for teams this year and next year.Dont be in shock if powell valley dont beat hancock a couple times this year.

I am going to agree with GoMab about the most improved in 1A. The record last year was misleading, and Forrest has ALL of their players coming back. Jamar Jenkins can drain 7 threes in a row, or he can score with a variety of low-post moves, and if you let him get anywhere close to the rim, he's going to dunk it all over you. They return their top 10 players from last year.

No offense, but when was the last time someone from that Far upper east sub state won a game in the state tournament. Unaka MIGHT have finished third in Ezell's district last year but I doubt it.

Right now Temple's the champion. They have to be the favorite till proven otherwise. That being said there aren't alot of teams that stand out at you right now. The rest of the midstate is pretty down so i'm hoping if A.J. and Antoine can have big years then Ezell might sneak their way back to the tournament.

Posted by RealGoEagles:

No offense, but when was the last time someone from that Far upper east sub state won a game in the state tournament. Unaka MIGHT have finished third in Ezell's district last year but I doubt it.

Right now Temple's the champion. They have to be the favorite till proven otherwise. That being said there aren't alot of teams that stand out at you right now. The rest of the midstate is pretty down so i'm hoping if A.J. and Antoine can have big years then Ezell might sneak their way back to the tournament.

Realgo, correct me if I am wrong, but the upper east sub-state has had some degree of success in the boro for several years. Hancock advanced to the semi-finals in 99. Alcoa to the semis 2001, Cosby to the semis in 96 and advanced to the state finals in 98, 99 and 2000. Again correct me if there is a flaw but I believe this is accurate.

Posted by KGP3428:

One would think that if both A.J and Antoine sign letters of intent for football, then they wouldn't be playing b-ball this year.

Is that something you know or something you assume? Different players and schools have diferent feelings/policies about this. Some do not want their senior years to be interrupted and others don't want their college careers jeopardized by injuries. A.J. and Antoine are fine basketball players and probably small college to mid-major D1 prospects. In my opinion they are major college football players!