Alcoa @ CAK

F5seekshelter

Great game as usual. Thought for a minute you guys had swapped jersey's. CAK pounding it inside, what gives? Less than 100 yds passing! That's not CAK, that's Alcoa! The world is upside down. Kidding aside, congratulations Warriors on a great win! Well-deserved.

Alcoa should get a chance at a rematch. I just don't get why the Tornadoes still have Oggs at QB. Surely the other QB alternatives are not that bad. I can see why you want the ball in Ogg's hands, but he doesn't have to play QB for that to happen.

You know, this I believe is the first starting QB for Alcoa that didn't grow up in the system with the other players. Might be wrong, but I wonder how this might effect team chemistry? They just don't seem to be in sync like they have in the past. Oh well, good for CAK.

Wishing both teams success in the play-offs and a greatly anticipated rematch!

A few thoughts about the caliber of teams that this season's version of CAK and Alcoa are. Just how "down" are they really? Let's look at their seasons.

Alcoa lost to Maryville, the number one team in 6A, Greenville, the number one team in 4A, CAK, one of the top several teams in 3A(and certainly have been ranked #1 in 3A at times) and to a very talented Austin East team in a fluke game where Alcoa dominated every way except the scoreboard and special teams.

How about CAK? CAK has lost a total of 2 games by a combined total of 2 points. One loss was to Grace, arguably the #1 team in 2A, in a game that CAK missed 3 extra points and lost by 1 point. The 2nd loss was to a 6A team that plays in the toughest district in the state, and the loss was by one point in overtime, playing on the road.

Consider last year. At least one CAK victory was very fortunate. The 48 to 45 game against Loudon could have gone either way. The Polk game was no cake walk. I could go on.

Here's what I think some may be missing: The last couple of years, Alcoa had what may be the best team in the state regardless of classification. While not quite as obvious, if you look at CAK's record and how they challenged Alcoa, CAK had clearly one of the top few 3A teams and possibly one of the top 20 teams regardless of classification.

So, it is obvious that Alcoa this year is not as dominant as last year. Alcoa STILL has one of the top teams in 3A in the state. Maybe the best, but certainly in the top 3 or 4. For Alcoa, this may be a notch down, but they STILL may be the top 3A team in the state. How about CAK? They may not be able to compete with 6A teams, but they don't have to in the playoffs.

The bottom line is that we have been spoiled the last couple of years with truly outstanding teams that just happen to play in 3A. But the only thing that matters this year is how THIS team competes in the playoffs against 3A schools. Time will tell, but my bet is that one of these two teams will earn the right to compete for the state championship.

I've been watching CAK pretty closely for a number of years. This IS the best offense CAK has ever had. Overall the defense is not as good as the last few years, BUT they have continued to make improvement, the coaches have made excellent personnel changes, and there are several play makers on this defense that could have started on any CAK defense we've had. Additionally, there are several things on offense and defense that CAK didn't use / show in this Alcoa game that can be used if needed in the playoffs.

My opinion is that the people who are talking about how "down" this CAK team is haven't seen many CAK games this season and are looking superficially at the record.

The preliminary work has been done. Now it's time for the real season to begin, the playoffs. This Warrior team has a chance to do what has never been done at CAK.

A few thoughts about the caliber of teams that this season's version of CAK and Alcoa are. Just how "down" are they really? Let's look at their seasons.

Alcoa lost to Maryville, the number one team in 6A, Greenville, the number one team in 4A, CAK, one of the top several teams in 3A(and certainly have been ranked #1 in 3A at times) and to a very talented Austin East team in a fluke game where Alcoa dominated every way except the scoreboard and special teams.

How about CAK? CAK has lost a total of 2 games by a combined total of 2 points. One loss was to Grace, arguably the #1 team in 2A, in a game that CAK missed 3 extra points and lost by 1 point. The 2nd loss was to a 6A team that plays in the toughest district in the state, and the loss was by one point in overtime, playing on the road.

Consider last year. At least one CAK victory was very fortunate. The 48 to 45 game against Loudon could have gone either way. The Polk game was no cake walk. I could go on.

Here's what I think some may be missing: The last couple of years, Alcoa had what may be the best team in the state regardless of classification. While not quite as obvious, if you look at CAK's record and how they challenged Alcoa, CAK had clearly one of the top few 3A teams and possibly one of the top 20 teams regardless of classification.

So, it is obvious that Alcoa this year is not as dominant as last year. Alcoa STILL has one of the top teams in 3A in the state. Maybe the best, but certainly in the top 3 or 4. For Alcoa, this may be a notch down, but they STILL may be the top 3A team in the state. How about CAK? They may not be able to compete with 6A teams, but they don't have to in the playoffs.

The bottom line is that we have been spoiled the last couple of years with truly outstanding teams that just happen to play in 3A. But the only thing that matters this year is how THIS team competes in the playoffs against 3A schools. Time will tell, but my bet is that one of these two teams will earn the right to compete for the state championship.

I've been watching CAK pretty closely for a number of years. This IS the best offense CAK has ever had. Overall the defense is not as good as the last few years, BUT they have continued to make improvement, the coaches have made excellent personnel changes, and there are several play makers on this defense that could have started on any CAK defense we've had. Additionally, there are several things on offense and defense that CAK didn't use / show in this Alcoa game that can be used if needed in the playoffs.

My opinion is that the people who are talking about how "down" this CAK team is haven't seen many CAK games this season and are looking superficially at the record.

The preliminary work has been done. Now it's time for the real season to begin, the playoffs. This Warrior team has a chance to do what has never been done at CAK.

Good post and good perspective :thumb:

Yes, I agree...#15 should be playing a "Percy Harvin"(when he was at Florida) type roll instead of qb. #16, gives us a passing threat and a great backfield with #29 and #15 back there. It would also be nice to see one of these 2 at wr to spread the field a little bit, while the other is at rb. This way, opposing teams do not put 9 people in the box against us. That speed and play making ability at wr would definately make defenses stay more honest, instead of spending all night in our backfield! #15 is a very good athlete...but as stated above, doesnt have to play qb. I know we traditionally like to run the ball, so I am curious to what happened to our "Maryland-I" formation that has been so productive in the past several weeks...we didnt run it one time against CAK? We had the same guys that run it playing in the game, so injury wasnt the issue. Just curious is all, since like I said, it has been very productive in gaining yardage when needed. AND, there was atleast 4 times we had either 3rd or 4th down and 2 yrds or less...and didnt get it! Just thought it was interesting.

Yes, I agree...#15 should be playing a "Percy Harvin"(when he was at Florida) type roll instead of qb. #16, gives us a passing threat and a great backfield with #29 and #15 back there. It would also be nice to see one of these 2 at wr to spread the field a little bit, while the other is at rb. This way, opposing teams do not put 9 people in the box against us. That speed and play making ability at wr would definately make defenses stay more honest, instead of spending all night in our backfield! #15 is a very good athlete...but as stated above, doesnt have to play qb. I know we traditionally like to run the ball, so I am curious to what happened to our "Maryland-I" formation that has been so productive in the past several weeks...we didnt run it one time against CAK? We had the same guys that run it playing in the game, so injury wasnt the issue. Just curious is all, since like I said, it has been very productive in gaining yardage when needed. AND, there was atleast 4 times we had either 3rd or 4th down and 2 yrds or less...and didnt get it! Just thought it was interesting.

I think both teams held some things back that we may see if these 2 teams keep winning and meet again in round 3.

I hate to agree with you...but, I do! Did you wonder about our short yardage decisions too?

I did. However, if they had worked we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. I really think this game was a "have to win" game for the Tornadoes. This team, IMHO, lacks confidence. They have the coaching and talent to

match anyone in the state, but I dont think, as a team,they

have the confidence to win the high pressure games (YET). Don't get me wrong, I think it's there, our coaching staff

just needs to find it and put the players in better situations during games. We are at 0-0. I personally think we are in a

pretty good bracket for first two rounds of the playoffs. Hopefully, the guys will step up! I'm counting on it! Go Tornadoes!

Edited by F5seekshelter