Marion coach let go

Indian

Someone straighten me out on the timeline and lineage of SP coaches. I know Coach Beene handed it over to Don Grider in 69. And I was thinking Don handed it over to Vic, but I also know Danny Wilson is in there somewhere. I had to work so much in the 80's and 90's that I lost track.

Someone straighten me out on the timeline and lineage of SP coaches. I know Coach Beene handed it over to Don Grider in 69. And I was thinking Don handed it over to Vic, but I also know Danny Wilson is in there somewhere. I had to work so much in the 80's and 90's that I lost track.

Don Grider handed the program over To Danny Wilson. Wilson was the head coach for the 1994 state championship team. Around 96 Wilson left and Vic took over. The million dollar question is who handed off to Phil Beene.

Don Grider handed the program over To Danny Wilson. Wilson was the head coach for the 1994 state championship team. Around 96 Wilson left and Vic took over. The million dollar question is who handed off to Phil Beene.

That's a great question ...not sure anyone around other than Bebe that could answer that. I know we are off topic but so what ...here is interesting reading:

L. Philip “Phil†Beene is among the legends of General Robert Neyland’s University of Tennessee Volunteer football teams. An outstanding player at UT, Beene was a member of Neyland’s “Flaming Sophomore†team, the amazing sophomores who dominated the 1928 undefeated Volunteers. Beene’s accomplishments beyond his football heroics were just as impressive. He was the champion heavyweight wrestler at UT in 1931, defeating Herman Hickman. After college, Beene remained in the gridiron world as the head coach at South Pittsburg, and his record is legendary. His teams won 148 games, lost thirty-seven, and were tied nineteen times. His record reveals a remarkable seven undefeated seasons, five Tennessee Valley Conference championships, four Sequatchie Valley Conference championships, and Coach of the Year honors several times. In addition, Beene was one of his hometown’s civic leaders and served as its mayor from 1976 until his death in 1979. Although Phil Beene is no longer with us, the brilliant part he played in the magical history of UT football is his legacy and will remain forever. Quoted fromHall of Fame website

Note: a bit of trivia...he played for Marion County in the first meeting ever against South Pittsburg ( he and Buford Stroup were the running backs)

Edited by pegleg

Don Grider took over in 1969. He promptly led the team to the A state championship in his first season. Then again in 1974 he led the team to the state championship game only to lose to Brentwood Academy. He would also lead his teams to two more state championship game appearances in 1985 and 1986. In 1985 his team lost to Kenny Flagg and Lake County 20-12. In 1986 his team "lost" in the state title game to Orlando "Papa" Wade and Spring Hill 21-20 in the most controversial state championship game in TSSAA history. He retired after a 5-6 season in 1992. Danny Wilson took over the program and led his first team to the state semifinals in 1993, where he lost to Trousdale County 16-14. He then captured the state championship in 1994 with a victory over Lake County 14-7 in Nashville. He would advance to the state semifinals in 1995 only to lose at the hands of BGA. He left after the 1996 season and returned to his roots in Maryville. Vic Grider took over in 1997 and led the team to the state quarterfinals in his first season. He won state championships in 1999, 2007 and 2010.

Don Grider took over in 1969. He promptly led the team to the A state championship in his first season. Then again in 1974 he led the team to the state championship game only to lose to Brentwood Academy. He would also lead his teams to two more state championship game appearances in 1985 and 1986. In 1985 his team lost to Kenny Flagg and Lake County 20-12. In 1986 his team "lost" in the state title game to Orlando "Papa" Wade and Spring Hill 21-20 in the most controversial state championship game in TSSAA history. He retired after a 5-6 season in 1992. Danny Wilson took over the program and led his first team to the state semifinals in 1993, where he lost to Trousdale County 16-14. He then captured the state championship in 1994 with a victory over Lake County 14-7 in Nashville. He would advance to the state semifinals in 1995 only to lose at the hands of BGA. He left after the 1996 season and returned to his roots in Maryville. Vic Grider took over in 1997 and led the team to the state quarterfinals in his first season. He won state championships in 1999, 2007 and 2010.

I think them jasper folks are mad about talkin sp coaches on a jasper high school coach thread

I think them jasper folks are mad about talkin sp coaches on a jasper high school coach thread

That's what SP folks do, get after Jasper. Its the Hatfield and McCoys of H.S. football. thumb[1].gif We have many kin folk up there. We don't know why don't like them but we have good reason.

Pretty sure Phil Beene handed it off to Don Grider in late 60's...Just think SP has had just 4-5 coaches in last 60 years....Marion has had that since 95....:roflol:

Your somewhat close. Actually in the last 49 years South Pittsburg has had 4 coaches. In the last 62 or 63 years South Pittsburg has had 10 or 11 coaches.

RLH, Old Pirate or one of the other fans who knows a little of the history of the school might be able to do a little educating on it.

Edited by The Drunken Sailor

Guest Purplepastry

That's what SP folks do, get after Jasper. Its the Hatfield and McCoys of H.S. football. thumb[1].gif We have many kin folk up there. We don't know why don't like them but we have good reason.

If you want to understand SP and Marion County relationship dig this. SP is like the little brother who constantly strives for recognition position in the family. MC is like the eldest and sole heir who is what the little brother wants to be. Now this has beneficial consequences for the little brother as he is strengthen by his struggle to be the elder and accomplishes. This does not change the fact that at home he is still the little brother and he develops a huge chip on his shoulder and a bad attitude to go with it.

If you want to understand SP and Marion County relationship dig this. SP is like the little brother who constantly strives for recognition position in the family. MC is like the eldest and sole heir who is what the little brother wants to be. Now this has beneficial consequences for the little brother as he is strengthen by his struggle to be the elder and accomplishes. This does not change the fact that at home he is still the little brother and he develops a huge chip on his shoulder and a bad attitude to go with it.

Actually, you are incorrect. SPHS was a city school until 1974. If you think I am joking, go look at the corner stone in the North West corner of the main building (Elm Ave side). Jasper is more like an old whacky uncle with a drinking problem and a severe case of the DT's.