Knox Catholic, where do we go

footballsense

The program has underachieved in his first two season at Catholic in a big way. More kids go on to play at the next level out of that program than any other in the area during the previous two seasons, and you you can't get out of the second round....in 5A. I don't think playing a 5A schedule gets you much. Powell, West, Morristown West, Morristown East, Lenoir City, Anderson County, Seymour, South Doyle are improving at a greater rate than Catholic. You're on par with Central. You'd get past Halls, Clinton, and Cocke County. The only cycling going on at Catholic is a counter clockwise flush. You won't beat Webb for at least another four years based on program direction.

The program is in shambles. Period. The fault lies with the administration. Period. Not Pemberton, nor Rankin, nor Harbaugh can fix it unless and until the administration gets out of the way. Period. No coach who does the appropriate due diligence prior to accepting the job would take it given that both the previous and current coaches have had incompetent staff forced upon them. Meadows can't fix it, and nor does the administration want him to. Catholic has fundamentally decided against being perceived as any sort of "football factory" and that is fine. Just set the expectation there. 3-7 is OK, 3-7 is OK, 3-7 is OK.

Say what you will about Pemberton, but he got you past Livingston Academy, Fulton, AE, Webb, Baylor, and Memphis Mitchell for crying out loud. He apparently learned from the mistakes, corrected course in spite of the administration, and won championships. The concept of learning and correcting is something apparently lost on the current administration as well as yourself KCHSCoach. Learn to reinforce your argument rather than raising your voice son.

I have watched this discusion with great interest, especially with the intent of possibly recomending Catholic as a school for furure players. I thought that a few post back that a new three contract was in order for Coach Meadows. What happened to that possibliity. Another question? Is Ron Gray still there as an assistant coach. Could some of the assistant coaches be fueling the fire to oust Coach Meadows. Could one of them want the HC job.

The man does not make the playoffs for the first time, and you arm chair coaches act like the sky is falling, everything goes in cycle, the big wheel turns, KCHS will return to the top, but right now the cards are stacked against KCHS. We played a full freshman schedule, a full jv schedule, the kids hit the weights...what do you want? KCHS is a high school, we are talking high school sports, we don't recruit, we don't give scholarships, we are not a major university. In all of KCHS history we have only beaten webb maybe 10 times total. But for you people that think Pemberton walks on water....what happened when he played BGA the second time, or the year we played ND first round and got spanked, or the fact we beat LA the first time but again lost the second time, both at home. Kids are here for an education and to learn life lessons by playing sports....guess what you not always going to win. I am done talking to you armchairs, so go ahead say what you will, until we get moved to a 5A schedule all of our teams are going to have to fight an up hill battle..but our coaches and kids are going to give it their all.

If, in fact you are a coach at Catholic, one only has to read your posts to see why Catholic is where it is. I would not want anyone coaching my kid that has as many excuses as you do, you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

I blame the school just as much as I blame Meadows. The school tries to assert itself to make it where every sport is equal. If the bowling team doesnt get enough attention then the football team shouldnt get the attention either. Its sad really. We grow up in Knoxville, TN where football is the talk of the town, but no...lets make everything fair and give everyone a trophy. Yeah! That will teach the students that no matter what they do, they will all be winners no matter the score. It should be about having fun. I never liked "Roid Rage" when I was there but he said something that was true to the core, "Is it ever fun when youre losing? And come to think about it...no it wasnt. Thats why people are moving. They dont wanna lose. NOBODY does. So instead of saying your schedule is all beefed up with the almighty 6A teams (which were 4A and 5A back in the day), then allow for some additional attention (better coaches than Homeless Hank and Little Billy's dad) to the football team. Jon Faris didnt build the massive weightroom for the tennis team, I know that. And also (KCHS coach) if Pemberton wasnt doing well, then how come his new school (Macon County) who was used to losing 8 or 9 games in the season, go to the playoffs this season? I guarantee they dont have the Kevin Smiths and Roger Tolers nor the talent pool that Catholic has access to.

I blame the school just as much as I blame Meadows. The school tries to assert itself to make it where every sport is equal. If the bowling team doesnt get enough attention then the football team shouldnt get the attention either. Its sad really. We grow up in Knoxville, TN where football is the talk of the town, but no...lets make everything fair and give everyone a trophy. Yeah! That will teach the students that no matter what they do, they will all be winners no matter the score. It should be about having fun. I never liked "Roid Rage" when I was there but he said something that was true to the core, "Is it ever fun when youre losing? And come to think about it...no it wasnt. Thats why people are moving. They dont wanna lose. NOBODY does. So instead of saying your schedule is all beefed up with the almighty 6A teams (which were 4A and 5A back in the day), then allow for some additional attention (better coaches than Homeless Hank and Little Billy's dad) to the football team. Jon Faris didnt build the massive weightroom for the tennis team, I know that. And also (KCHS coach) if Pemberton wasnt doing well, then how come his new school (Macon County) who was used to losing 8 or 9 games in the season, go to the playoffs this season? I guarantee they dont have the Kevin Smiths and Roger Tolers nor the talent pool that Catholic has access to.

you are all over it, maybe that is the answer keep Meadows and the program stays even with the others, I heard someone say his nick name is suit case Meadows , that would be our luck that he would decied to stay instead of packing his suitcase one more time, has an earlier post said more for money (90,000) then anything else, hey Meadows Heritage is hiring.

kchs coach is actually jason surlas, the athletic director who tanked it all along with dickie. Catholic enjoys being in 6a so that it can be their excuse for being a losing team. Pemberton built a great football environment and now that he's gone it has fallen like the 3rd Reich

you mean KCHS is not a fan that has strong beliefs that our football team is in good hands, the funny thing is I was at the game with Harrison Smith while he was in town we talked to alot of parents that all had the same thing to say, the program will be going in a new direction next year as this is Meadows last season on his contract, KCHS if you trully think our program is in good hands then you need to take a look at your ability to even be in the position that you are in if this is trully the AD, someone posetd that we have had more D-1 guys then any other school including those 6A teams and we still could not win, maybe we can try to get classified into a lower district, oh ya we are already doing that. KCHS said he didn't have the time to post any with us idiots, I guess he just doesn't want to hear the facts about the program he has taken from being a proud stand up program to one that excuses its way through the season.

You guys are heading south fast. You've got a lot of finger pointing and in fighting going on. It's hard enough to win when everybody is on the same page and pulling in the same direction. You start all that crap and you won't have a chance to get back to where Catholic was a couple years ago. You got poison in the water and everybody's drinkin' it. Cooler heads need to prevail, take a deep breath, take a couple weeks off away from football, then hit the weights and tune out all the outside influences. Focus on the goal, to get better each day. Believe in the coaches and the kids and get behind them. I hate to see any program go through this garbage, it's not fair to the kids that bust their butts all year long only to have to put up with this kind of nonsense.

For the record, Catholic doesn't sign 3 year contracts. Every teacher and coach is retained on a yearly contract. Program has taken a downturn but that happens most places after winning a state title unless you happen to be Maryville or Alcoa. I thought last year we underachieved given the talent we had but we tried to run schemes that weren't really suited to our players. Given the line we had, we should have put much more emphasis on running the ball. Losing Wharton was a huge blow and he could have accounted for a few more wins this year. We are loaded with young kids that played big roles. I know the 7th or 8th grade youth team just won the city championship. People forget this is a high school program. I understand wanting to fill your own staff but keep in mind there needs to be TEACHING positions available for those staff members. Pemberton did an excellent job coaching the football team and had a great system in place that was also used in the youth leagues.

Let me correct my self, farragut has only 2000 kids, and no school in the district has less than 1600, How did Pemberton do against Farragut, Maryille, and bearden....oh thats right he didn't play them, And as we all know scrimmages are just that....don't think anyone has ever lost a scrimmage just ask them. So don't diss our kids because you were undefeated against stone memorial, and chucky Doak. Lossing to team like Heritage and Lenior City is no dishonor, considering LC just beat the defending state champs Columbia, on the road! Yes Pemberton had some great assistant coaches, but he ran them all off. All I know, I am proud of our kids regardless who coached them, our kids in most sports give their all, and comparing apples and oranges is not fair, to them or their coaches.

I'm not sure where you get your enrollment figures, but Farragut's enrollment for the 2009-2010 school year was 1784. Similar numbers were expected this year. Due to rezoning, for the purpose of populating Hardin Valley, Farragut's enrollment has not been aboove 2,000 since 2007.

Edited by Former44