Knoxville GCA breaks ground on new Stadium Field and refurbished Stadium

12thmanGCA

Most colleges and universities are going back to the new field turf

I'm not sure about that, my count is I have saw 29 different college (NAIA, D-II, FCS, & FBS) fields since May of this year. Of those 2 were field turf, 1 was the old stuff, & 26 were natural grass. If you get up into Montana & Dakota's & the like they have field turf mostly of necessity, however if a college can grow grass they usually do, at least from what I've saw over the last 5 years. In that time the vast majority of probably 75-85 fields I've saw were grass.

Edited by downanddistance

I'll give you recent history indicates we have poured it on, but I think this year our coaching staff did class job of NOT pouring it on when they could have had 80 in like 4 games. Do you realize GCA not only went 5-0 in their district, but did it unscored upon? Like 250 to 0 in 5 district games and that was playing our freshman and jv most of the 2nd half of games. Life and people are not perfect, but I appreciate your thoughts here. Nice to have someone offer other discourse without calling me an idiot first. Truly I appreciate that.

I understand why people have contempt of the "old" GCA but the "new" GCA is wiser, more humble, and certainly more aware. Trust me.......another probation and you would not need Moses to lead that exodous. I have a 13 year old Basketball player that is going there soon from home schooling. My oldest son (football) built alot of character over the last 2 years at the expense of ridicule, name calling, and basic hatred for his team when they showed up at every away venue. We took it, survived it, and now it's time to move on...... by the book. Do it right, or we will do it somewhere else.

And I never called anyone ignorant. I never called anyone in particular ignorant, i meant that as a prevailing attitude. Sort of like, well, that's the way it's always been and that's good enough for us. Who thinks like that? I guess I just have a hard time being objective, but then again, I have a good job, strong family background, and a good start in life. Not rich, but not poor......Just middle class with a desire to exceed and excel. Maybe I should do more service work in the Midway's and Oakdale's of the world and just shut up for awile and ejoy what I have. I suppose contempt is just as unflattering as jealousy.

But, I will never apologize for success on any scale, when earned the right way.

Nor should you!

For the most part, we know the 'way' is not a good one for us nor our children and we're not just wallowing in it...this snow ball has gotten massive as has the fight to regain control! Mark this down, it wont be long before the forces that control public schools come after your privates (schools that is) :mrgreen:

I'll give you recent history indicates we have poured it on, but I think this year our coaching staff did class job of NOT pouring it on when they could have had 80 in like 4 games. Do you realize GCA not only went 5-0 in their district, but did it unscored upon? Like 250 to 0 in 5 district games and that was playing our freshman and jv most of the 2nd half of games. Life and people are not perfect, but I appreciate your thoughts here. Nice to have someone offer other discourse without calling me an idiot first. Truly I appreciate that.

I understand why people have contempt of the "old" GCA but the "new" GCA is wiser, more humble, and certainly more aware. Trust me.......another probation and you would not need Moses to lead that exodous. I have a 13 year old Basketball player that is going there soon from home schooling. My oldest son (football) built alot of character over the last 2 years at the expense of ridicule, name calling, and basic hatred for his team when they showed up at every away venue. We took it, survived it, and now it's time to move on...... by the book. Do it right, or we will do it somewhere else.

And I never called anyone ignorant. I never called anyone in particular ignorant, i meant that as a prevailing attitude. Sort of like, well, that's the way it's always been and that's good enough for us. Who thinks like that? I guess I just have a hard time being objective, but then again, I have a good job, strong family background, and a good start in life. Not rich, but not poor......Just middle class with a desire to exceed and excel. Maybe I should do more service work in the Midway's and Oakdale's of the world and just shut up for awile and ejoy what I have. I suppose contempt is just as unflattering as jealousy.

But, I will never apologize for success on any scale, when earned the right way.

I'll give you I am operating on history, heck that's all we have to go on is what has been done. I truly hope for your son & all the other students at GCA they are cleaning up their messes for good. Unfortunately coach McKamey is still there (for now anyway) & you being an "insider" knows there are more skeletons in that closet. Reputation is kinda like trust, it takes a long time to build, can be virtually erased in a thought, & takes longer to rebuild than to initially build. We will see how GCA progresses as time passes. I hope it is on hard work & tradition, not back door deals & flavors of the month. We shall see.

Most colleges and universities are going back to the new field turf

What are the top DII and DI schools using? UT got rid of the artificial stuff 20 years ago. In DII, North Alabama and Valdosta State are on natural turf. The DII National Championship Game is played on natural turf.

Nor should you!

For the most part, we know the 'way' is not a good one for us nor our children and we're not just wallowing in it...this snow ball has gotten massive as has the fight to regain control! Mark this down, it wont be long before the forces that control public schools come after your privates (schools that is) :mrgreen:

I'm not so sure the powers that be wants our kids educated,the no child left behind just assures that no child is pushed forward.My little 1st grader has little 3 letter words as challenge words on his spelling tests,I'm sure he can outspell alot of 8th graders. My kid is being cheated to death,but as a parent,I challenge him myself. He fills out his math work like picking up candy.Why even send that junk home with him.Just repetitive junk that does no one any good. You can try to lump people all together ,but thats never going to happen. If you took all the money in the world and handed it out equally, it wouldn't be a year from now until some were needing public assistance and others would be wealthy again.In my opinion all the governments are neglecting the people they are sworn to govern.Its more than likely headed to a complete takeover and you will have 2 types of people,haves and have nots, we might even rid ourselves of the have nots.I'm just glad I put my faith in God above and not these people who are suppose to be our leaders. Anyone wonder why you can't pray at ballgames ,but you salute the flag on every event. I think it should be the other way around. We are extremely fortunate to live in the US for the time being,I'm not so sure that will be the case by the time my little one gets grown.

I'm not sure about that, my count is I have saw 29 different college (NAIA, D-II, FCS, & FBS) fields since May of this year. Of those 2 were field turf, 1 was the old stuff, & 26 were natural grass. If you get up into Montana & Dakota's & the like they have field turf mostly of necessity, however if a college can grow grass they usually do, at least from what I've saw over the last 5 years. In that time the vast majority of probably 75-85 fields I've saw were grass.

That is my assessment as well. UF, FSU and the Gator Bowl have natural as do all other Universities in Florida. The DII schools I have seen the do as well.

I'm not so sure the powers that be wants our kids educated,the no child left behind just assures that no child is pushed forward.My little 1st grader has little 3 letter words as challenge words on his spelling tests,I'm sure he can outspell alot of 8th graders. My kid is being cheated to death,but as a parent,I challenge him myself. He fills out his math work like picking up candy.Why even send that junk home with him.Just repetitive junk that does no one any good. You can try to lump people all together ,but thats never going to happen. If you took all the money in the world and handed it out equally, it wouldn't be a year from now until some were needing public assistance and others would be wealthy again.In my opinion all the governments are neglecting the people they are sworn to govern.Its more than likely headed to a complete takeover and you will have 2 types of people,haves and have nots, we might even rid ourselves of the have nots.I'm just glad I put my faith in God above and not these people who are suppose to be our leaders. Anyone wonder why you can't pray at ballgames ,but you salute the flag on every event. I think it should be the other way around. We are extremely fortunate to live in the US for the time being,I'm not so sure that will be the case by the time my little one gets grown.

Its one extreme or the other! My 4th grader has algebra this year, ALGEBRA! And that would be okay if the teacher had time to actually teach it and not have to take time to worry about needless piles of govt paperwork!!!

We always have had and will always have the "have nots". The big difference today is the "have nots' will not work for anything they do have or want and the govt pushes that lifestyle! Why? For the very reason you typed, to take over completely!

Will be interesting to watch how things play out soon if people with values dont stand up for the freedom God blessed all mankind with from the beginning!

No sir, you are unfairly pigeon holing me into sounding like that. My point is about ALL PRIVATE SCHOOLS have much more opportunity to cheat as far as student/athletes receiving inappropriate benefits. As long as you have tuition & something more to offer academically & athletically some people will want to send their children there. Private schools have that "more to offer" (again not in all cases but many times this is true). Well if that is something I want for my son & cannot afford it the "greed" on the part of the parent sometimes wins over knowing what is right. If the offer is made by a school for little Johnny to come there for free or cheap who knows who would or wouldn't take that offer. I'm not saying all private schools cheat but the temptation is much more prevalent in a private school scenario. The "greed" for success in athletics lures many from those administrations to do things that gain an unfair advantage. Do all private programs cheat? Absolutely not. Did this one? Absolutely. Do all public's walk the line? Absolutely not. The difference is what they have to offer as "bait" if you will. If private's play D-II then they can offer financial assistance but then they lose there advantage over their competition. If public's play public's then that advantage is not available. Will public's still cheat? Of course some will, but everyone has the same playing field. It just muddies the waters of who is or isn't cheating when money & book keepers are involved. I'm not saying private's shouldn't play public's ever. Just shouldn't be in public divisions.

Very good points. We won't agree on everything but you have made a great argument.

I'll give you I am operating on history, heck that's all we have to go on is what has been done. I truly hope for your son & all the other students at GCA they are cleaning up their messes for good. Unfortunately coach McKamey is still there (for now anyway) & you being an "insider" knows there are more skeletons in that closet. Reputation is kinda like trust, it takes a long time to build, can be virtually erased in a thought, & takes longer to rebuild than to initially build. We will see how GCA progresses as time passes. I hope it is on hard work & tradition, not back door deals & flavors of the month. We shall see.

My experiences with Coach McKamey have been positive. He has treated my son and my family very well. I can honestly say, he plays players. If you can't play, you are on the sideline. He told my son that from day one and my boy had to wait until his Junior year to start, and then only on offense. I've only known coach for about 4 years now, but I can say from our experiences, he is a good man and leader to my son. He has exceptionally grounded children and wife with very loyal hearts and efforts for those less fortunate. I'm not about beating up an individual person or really even bringing attention positively to any individual in this type forum. But I have to respond to your post that FROM MY EXPERIENCE he is a very good man with and extreme competitive streak. He delivers on what he promises and treats all the boys the same. So, we are happy with coach and hope he is there a good while. I'm not inside enough to know any "Skeletons" and I don't want to know any.....because someone might dig up mine in return. LOL.

We all get better as we get older. Judge him, me, and GCA on the future. Thanks for challenging my thoughts today! It made me better.

And when you can beat the teams in your region 250 to 0 with the jv's playing most of the 2ond half, what does that tell you. It tells me you are in the wrong league.

This argument maked no sense cause I would bet you SP or TC could beat a lot of there region teams by the same amount. Does that mean they belong in a different league?

Edited by reaction

This argument maked no sense cause I would bet you SP or TC could beat a lot of there region teams by the same amount. Does that mean they belong in a different league?

I thought about the same thing after I posted that.For the time being,they would have all the comp they needed. The future might prove otherwise. But when nearly all your starters are transfers,your still in the wrong league.Small public schools don't operate that way.