Lenoir City @ Centennial

dcnk

There were three reasons Lenoir City won tonight:

1) Discipline. The Panthers forced several turnovers and played fundamentally sound football. Centennial turned the ball over, dropped passes and looked flustered for much of the night.

2) Third- and fourth-down plays. A fake punt, a Centennial turnover on downs and a key third-quarter conversion led to three Panther touchdowns. I cannot possibly imagine why Rector went for it on his own 33, down 10-0 in the second quarter. It was a dumb decision, and it backfired -- not only did LC get the stop, but Camion Patrick scored from 33 yards out on the next play.

3) Camion Patrick. The kid is just plain tough. Centennial didn't have any defenders who could match his athleticism.

Congrats to the Panthers.

Also, the Centennial PA announcer thinks his gimmicks are cute. They are not. They are just loud.

There were three reasons Lenoir City won tonight:

1) Discipline. The Panthers forced several turnovers and played fundamentally sound football. Centennial turned the ball over, dropped passes and looked flustered for much of the night.

2) Third- and fourth-down plays. A fake punt, a Centennial turnover on downs and a key third-quarter conversion led to three Panther touchdowns. I cannot possibly imagine why Rector went for it on his own 33, down 10-0 in the second quarter. It was a dumb decision, and it backfired -- not only did LC get the stop, but Camion Patrick scored from 33 yards out on the next play.

3) Camion Patrick. The kid is just plain tough. Centennial didn't have any defenders who could match his athleticism.

Congrats to the Panthers.

Also, the Centennial PA announcer thinks his gimmicks are cute. They are not. They are just loud.

You know Wes, you were doing real well right up to the cheap shot at the announcer. What in the name of football did the announcer have to do with the game?

Lenoir City won because they were prepared, well coached, bigger, stronger...all the things good football teams are supposed to be. I said it after the game and I'll say it again...the LC team I saw tonight is better than the Columbia team that won the state last year and, based on last week's results, obviously better than the Columbia team this year and this year's Centennial team.

All that good stuff and then you go and blow it.

Here's good wishes for the Panthers the next three weeks from Williamson County. I refuse to judge the team/school/community for one person's, hopefully momentary, lack of judgement.

You know Wes, you were doing real well right up to the cheap shot at the announcer. What in the name of football did the announcer have to do with the game?

Lenoir City won because they were prepared, well coached, bigger, stronger...all the things good football teams are supposed to be. I said it after the game and I'll say it again...the LC team I saw tonight is better than the Columbia team that won the state last year and, based on last week's results, obviously better than the Columbia team this year and this year's Centennial team.

Here's good wishes for the Panthers the next three weeks from Williamson County. I refuse to judge the team/school/community for one person's, hopefully momentary, lack of judgement.

Hmmm..... what did the Bard say about protesting too much?

It wasn't a cheap shot, it was an honest opinion from someone in the broadcasting business. He had a good voice, but he overdid the first down calls. Of course it didn't affect the game. It did affect my eardrums.

I agree with your other thoughts.

It wasn't a cheap shot, it was an honest opinion from someone in the broadcasting business. He had a good voice, but he overdid the first down calls. Of course it didn't affect the game. It did affect my eardrums.

I agree with your other thoughts.

Guess we'll have to agree on one point and respectfully disagree on the other. And the disagreement will come from another with 30+ years in the broadcasting business.

I don't get to the East State much, but I will tell you that if the work at Centennial bothered you, you wouldn't want to play every week in Middle Tennessee. There are a few places that use their PA announcer as a true weapon. Some are purely obnoxious, some don't know any better, but all are "homers." Just defending our guy.

One other question...with the win the bracket shows LC going to Powell. Since Powell has been at home two stright weeks and you guys definitely have the frequent flier miles, will you still be on the road? Years ago there was a clause that said in that situation, the two-weeks-on-the-road team got to stay at home. Is that no longer the case?

And based on media reports, if you do have to go to Powell, you might want the parents to hold a lock box for your players' valuables, lest they suffer the suffer the same fate as Anderson County.

Good luck to ya'.

Joe, I've definitely heard way, way worse. I truly wasn't taking a shot at him, just offering an honest critique.

I'm not an LC guy; in fact, I live in Brentwood and was an impartial observer. However, my understanding is that the higher seed plays at home, so LC is probably relieved that they're visiting Powell, not Ooltewah.

Those allegations of theft are nasty. Powell and AC have a history of enmity, but there's no excuse for those alleged actions.

Congrats to Centennial on a strong season.

The thefts at Powell last week have already resulted in arrests and some of the property recovered. There were no incidents last night with Ooltewah's visit. Nothing missing and hands shaken all around. The incident with Anderson County was regrettable, but actions have been taken to resolve the issue. Lenoir City is no stranger to Powell as we were in the same region not too long ago. We look forward to entertaining our "panther" brothers and sisters, and we look forward to a great ballgame.

Joe, I've definitely heard way, way worse. I truly wasn't taking a shot at him, just offering an honest critique.

I'm not an LC guy; in fact, I live in Brentwood and was an impartial observer. However, my understanding is that the higher seed plays at home, so LC is probably relieved that they're visiting Powell, not Ooltewah.

Those allegations of theft are nasty. Powell and AC have a history of enmity, but there's no excuse for those alleged actions.

Congrats to Centennial on a strong season.

Thanks for setting me straight! :D It's all good.

If you're living in Brentwood, you must be pretty proud of the Bruins, too. Hoping Brentwood and Fairview get to take a road trip to Cookeville.

Powellbaldeagle: Glad to hear things are getting cleared up quick. Typically it's not kids from the school who do those things, just somebody taking advantage of a situation. Hope it's a safe game this week.

It hasn't been luck. It's been a weak schedule. CHS has played three quality opponents in Franklin, Brentwood, and Independence.

CHS beat Antioch who only beat up on other Nashville schools and lost to an 8 seed in the first round.

CHS beat Wilson Central who won 2 games.

CHS beat Cane Ridge who went 1-9.

CHS beat Ravenwood who only had wins over Cane Ridge and Hillsboro.

CHS beat Shelbyville who obviously playe in a weak division and without their best player.

CHS beat Hillsboro who won 3 games.

CHS beat Tullahoma who was missing one of their studs and needed six turnovers to do it.

I give credit for winning the games you should but does it prepare you for the long term?

How does CHS fair against a true quality opponent?

I guess I got my answer.

Great season CHS!